PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Halp! Halberd User!

Squally!
2010-10-23, 03:32 PM
First off, Hello! thanks for havin a look, now, the problem!

I am re-entering an in-progress game. It takes place in a high magic world, that is entirely frozen over.
The party is 8th level, standard starting gold at that level, and assume a 34 point buy.
My dilemma is, i have no idea how to build what i want to play and still be effective. as a group, we usually play very hard hitting, optimized characters. My issue is, i almost never play melee focused ones anymore. the last melee toon i build was a DMM Cleric, which doesnt really count i think xD.
What i ask from you all is, how can i build a human, who uses a halberd like a pro? be it either he chops people up quick like, or he can trip anything, or he throws halberds at anyone and everyone! i have no idea where to go with it apart from its a human, who uses halberds.
All of the complete books are allowed, but no psionics, anything outside the completes and cores, must be approved. *edit* Tome of Battle is almost always refused :P

so i ask, how can i do this?

Ernir
2010-10-23, 03:54 PM
Eh, ask about the ToB, it's the easiest way to get the job done. Warblade can do generic polearm action done very well. Fighter dip(s) for extra feats optional.

If the ToB is out, well... you're probably going to have to specialize in one to three forms of combat, like charging, tripping, or so on. I suggest you go through Person Man's Guide to Melee Combos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7047955&posted=1) and find something you'd like to do.

Just don't forget about your defenses, either. It's pretty easy to forget yourself when picking feats and items that improve your offensive supercombo and end up with a character that even at level 20 (or whatever level you end up planning for) can't fly, has a Will and Reflex save bonus in the single digits, isn't immune to anything, and is hopelessly useless when he encounters something that is immune to the supercombo (TM).

Greenish
2010-10-23, 05:16 PM
If you can put up with the formatting, there's the hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon), from which you can borrow a few tricks.

Endarire
2010-10-23, 05:39 PM
Since writing Hood, I've learned that a 3.5 Halberd is not a reach weapon. A lance, however, is. Use a lance.

Greenish: Thank you for linking Hood!

MarkusWolfe
2010-10-23, 06:35 PM
What a coincidence! I myself plotted out the feats for a halberd user not too long ago!

Alright, you're going to want to be a human fighter. The only way to properly use a halberd is to have feats coming out the wazoo. Also, this build is for use with heavy armor, preferably fullplate

STATS:
STR 18
CON 16
DEX 12
INT 10 (So you can put ranks into jump AND intimidate)
WIS 8
CHA 10 (For better intimidate)

FEATS:
Level 1:Halberd Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Halberd), Power Attack
Level 2: Improved Initiative
Level 3: Short Haft*
Level 4: Power Critical (Halberd)
Level 6: Cleave, Great Cleave
Level 8: Weapon Specialization (Halberd)
Level 9: Heavy Armor Optimization**
Level 10: Greater Weapon Focus (Halberd)
Level 12: Greater Heavy Armor Specialization***, Greater Weapon Specialization (Halberd)
Level 14: Combat Reflexes
Level 15: Hold the Line
Level 16: Armor Specialization****
Level 18: Improved Critical, Weapon Supremacy(Halberd)*****
Level 20: Defensive Sweep******

*Players handbook II ; lets you use Halberd at 5 ft as well as 10ft, but not in the same turn
**Races of Stone; lessen the armor check penalty of heavy armor by 1 and increase the armor bonus by 1
***Races of Stone; lessen the armor check penalty of heavy armor by 2 and increase the armor bonus by 1. Stacks with Heavy Armor Optimization for total effect of 3 less armor check penalty and +2 armor bonus
****Players handbook II; Pick one kind of armor (Fullplate, in this case.) At any time your AC includes your DEX bonus and you are wearing a masterwork (or magic) version of that armor, you gain DR 2/-.
*****Players handbook II; +4 to resist being disarmed, use weapon against grappling foe (standard action OR full round attack) without penalty or a grapple check, when full round attacking gains +5 on one attack roll of your choice per turn as long as it isn't the first attack, can take 10 on attack rolls once per round, +1 dodge bonus...but only while wielding that weapon
******Players handbook II ; Attack of Opportunity against anything that is in 5ft of you and doesn't move out of it's square by the end of it's turn

Greenish
2010-10-23, 06:46 PM
What a coincidence! I myself plotted out the feats for a halberd user not too long ago!

Alright, you're going to want to be a human fighter. The only way to properly use a halberd is to have feats coming out the wazoo. Also, this build is for use with heavy armor, preferably fullplate

STATS:
STR 18
CON 16
DEX 12
INT 10 (So you can put ranks into jump AND intimidate)
WIS 8
CHA 10 (For better intimidate)

FEATS:
Level 1:Halberd Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Halberd), Power Attack
Level 2: Improved Initiative
Level 4: Power Critical (Halberd)
Level 6: Cleave, Great Cleave
Level 8: Weapon Specialization (Halberd)
Level 9: Heavy Armor Optimization**
Level 10: Greater Weapon Focus (Halberd)
Level 12: Greater Heavy Armor Specialization***, Greater Weapon Specialization (Halberd)
Level 14: Combat Reflexes
Level 15: Hold the Line
Level 16: Armor Specialization****
Level 18: Improved Critical, Weapon Supremacy(Halberd)*****
Level 20: Defensive Sweep******

*Players handbook II ; lets you use Halberd at 5 ft as well as 10ft, but not in the same turn
**Races of Stone; lessen the armor check penalty of heavy armor by 1 and increase the armor bonus by 1
***Races of Stone; lessen the armor check penalty of heavy armor by 2 and increase the armor bonus by 1. Stacks with Heavy Armor Optimization for total effect of 3 less armor check penalty and +2 armor bonus
****Players handbook II; Pick one kind of armor (Fullplate, in this case.) At any time your AC includes your DEX bonus and you are wearing a masterwork (or magic) version of that armor, you gain DR 2/-.
*****Players handbook II; +4 to resist being disarmed, use weapon against grappling foe (standard action OR full round attack) without penalty or a grapple check, when full round attacking gains +5 on one attack roll of your choice per turn as long as it isn't the first attack, can take 10 on attack rolls once per round, +1 dodge bonus...but only while wielding that weapon
******Players handbook II ; Attack of Opportunity against anything that is in 5ft of you and doesn't move out of it's square by the end of it's turnI'm sceptical of anything where you "want to be a fighter". Short Haft only works for reach weapons, which halberd is not, as pointed out. Great Cleave is a waste of feat, Imp. Initiative is a filler, Armour Optimization/Specialization and Weapon Focus/Specialization are mediocre at best. Imp. Critical is burning a feat for +1 weapon quality, and Halberd has poor critical threat range.

I say, play a warblade, take maneuvers that you think are cool and pick up Power Attack and perhaps Imp. Trip at some point.

Coidzor
2010-10-23, 08:06 PM
There's a feat for getting an extra bludgeoning attack with a halberd...

But, really, there's not much for a halberdier.

Squally!
2010-10-23, 09:06 PM
i sense a leap attacking scout/barbarian in my future! :P

mucat
2010-10-23, 09:25 PM
If you aren't in the mood for ToB right now, I've been having fun with a polearm-using, tripping-focused factotum. (She uses a guisarme rather than a halberd, for the reach, but the concept is similar.)

The biggest advantage kicks in at third level, when factotums get to add their Int modifier to all strength and dexterity checks (not instead of the Str or Dex modifier, but in addition to it.) Since Tripping largely involves opposed strength checks (after a touch attack, but you can add Int to that too a certain number of times per encounter), a high-Str, high-Int factotum can be a scary polearm tripper.

Siosilvar
2010-10-23, 09:26 PM

Moot. Halberd isn't a reach weapon, as pointed out earlier.

Leon
2010-10-23, 09:27 PM
There's a feat for getting an extra bludgeoning attack with a halberd...

But, really, there's not much for a halberdier.

Spining Halberd Weapon Style - Complete Warrior

Also from the same Book - Heavy Halberd has Reach, 2d6 damage and is Exotic

Coidzor
2010-10-24, 12:05 AM

Of course, if you're spending a feat on EWP...:smallwink:

Endarire
2010-10-24, 12:09 AM
You don't need Short Haft or an exotic weapon. Use a gauntlet or armor spikes to hurt things immediately next to you, or a lance for things at reach. Easy peasy.

Gaiyamato
2010-10-24, 12:15 AM
You should totally check out Frostburn.
Just as an aside to all this.

Leon
2010-10-24, 01:24 AM
Of course, if you're spending a feat on EWP...:smallwink:

Its a option if you dead set on having a Halberd and reach.

Hawk7915
2010-10-24, 01:45 AM
Being a fighter still isn't an awful plan as you can be versatile. An 8th level Human Fighter has a whopping 9 feats to play with, which means you can take...

1: Combat Expertise
H: Combat Reflexes
F1: Power Attack
F2: Improved Trip
3: Knock-down
F4: Improved Bull Rush
6: Shock Trooper
F6: ???
8: ???

You have two free feats, which means you can be a Dungeoncrasher. Or class out after 2 or 4 levels (most likely to Barbarian or Warblade, although Crusader is tempting for Thicket of Blades). Or you can just take Standstill, Improved Sunder, Leap Attack, Weapon Focus/Spec, Two-weapon Fighting + Spinning Halberd, etc.

Not super optimized, but you can be either a lockdown character or an uber-charger, at your discretion. You aren't a perfect lockdown character without a reach weapon, but Enlarge Person from the party caster or a potion can fix that. You're also a teensy bit MAD; you need STR 15, INT 13 minimum. More STR is always better, you would prefer DEX 14 for multiple AoOs on your turn, you need DEX 15 for TWF...it adds up. Shouldn't be a problem with a 34 pt buy though...

STR 19 (including "level up" points at 4 and 8)
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 9

Hope that helps!

Leon
2010-10-24, 02:03 AM
1: Combat Expertise
H: Combat Reflexes
F1: Power Attack
F2: Improved Trip
3: Knock-down
F4: Improved Bull Rush
6: Shock Trooper
F6: ???
8: ??? Profit!

Gaiyamato
2010-10-24, 04:07 AM
On top of all of those feats you could get more if you are not overly concerned about alignment. You can server an elder evil to gain free vile feats, which there are some awesome feats for grusome finishes and beheading people etc.
Check out the FR Vile feats as well as those from the Elder Evils and Exemplars of Evil. Then of course pacts. If you do it right you can sell your soul for another 2 more feats!
By level 8 that is 5 vile feats and 2 free bonus feats extra on top of the fighter.

If you don't mind losing 1 BAB then you could use the Rogue ACF that swaps sneak attack for the Fighter bonus feats. Just take 2 levels. So thats a bonus fighter feat every level for the first 4 levels!
There are ways to get even more.

Gives you 19 feats:
level 1 feats
Level 1:
Human:
Flaw:
Flaw:
Fighter 1:
Vile 1:
Pact:
Pact:
level 2 feats
Fighter 2:
Vile 2:
level 3 feats
Level 3:
Rogue 1:
level 4 feats
Rogue 2:
Vile 3:
level 5 feats
level 6 feats
Level 6:
Fighter 4:
Vile 4:
level 7 feats
level 8 feats
Fighter 6:
Vile 5:

EDIT:
Oh and check this out as well: http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spinning_Halberd

Or for amusement take the followers or leadership feats and then this:
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Formation_Expert

MarkusWolfe
2010-10-24, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Siosilvar;9617776]Moot. Halberd isn't a reach weapon, as pointed out earlier.

Whaaaaa?

It sure looks like a reach weapon to m-oh never mind looks like I got mixed up. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Halberd)

THAT'S what I was thinking of. It's still got the X3 crit multiplier?

Leon
2010-10-24, 06:22 PM
It does.
It is however now that ive looked at it (last post was off memory) not listed as a halberd - its a Heavy Poleaxe, still has set vs charge but no trip)

Squally!
2010-10-24, 06:48 PM
Meh, im not as concerned w/ trip! tho, a feat to use an exotic weapon, blah, always hate doing that, but could be worth it at this point.

MarkusWolfe
2010-10-25, 08:47 AM
It does.
It is however now that ive looked at it (last post was off memory) not listed as a halberd - its a Heavy Poleaxe, still has set vs charge but no trip)

Meh...a player could always just say it's a Heavy Halberd for the sake of flavor.

'The Scarlet Poleaxer' just doesn't sounds as good as 'The Scarlet Halberdier;

Vizzerdrix
2010-10-25, 08:57 AM
What about a Gish build? I think you can pull off Wiz-5/Fighter-1/Abjurant Champ-2 (or was it Eldritch knight-1/Abjurant Champ-1?) at that level. use the fighter feat to get Imp. Trip, pick up power attack and Truestrike, and at 9th level take Arcane Strike as your feat any you'll be good to go.

Leon
2010-10-25, 08:59 AM
Meh...a player could always just say it's a Heavy Halberd for the sake of flavor.

'The Scarlet Poleaxer' just doesn't sounds as good as 'The Scarlet Halberdier;

That may be but im just correcting myself to what the book actually says rather than what i remembered.

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-25, 04:55 PM
I don't have much to add other than: at the very last resort, ask about homebrew. http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Halberdier_%283.5e_Class%29

Squally!
2010-10-25, 05:17 PM
wow, some of that stuff seems crazy broken when combined w/ leap attacking goodness!

but i shall see! thanks!