PDA

View Full Version : 4e wizard homebrew balance help

Lateral
2010-10-23, 04:25 PM
Okay, so my little brother is DM'ing a D&D 4th edition game (he can't understand 3.5). I'm one of the party, and I want to play a wizard, eventually going into Wizard of the Spiral Tower for paragon. However, I don't want to just stay back and blast until 11th level... I wanna get up close and personal with those sons-of-bitches. Can I get a "Hell, yes"?

Okay, so I homebrewed up some modified 1st level Wizard spells so I can channel them through a bastard sword. (My brother wants to run high-power so we all got free weapon and armor proficiency, plus I can replace "longsword" with "bastard sword" for WotSPT.) I'm just not good at balancing them with respect towards each other, the ordinary spell I modded from and towards other melee combatants. Could someone tell me if they balance? (Also, if this build is viable.) Thanks!

Cloud of Daggers:
Daggerwind Blade (Wizard At-Will 1)
With a lunge and an arcane call, you your blade into your foe. Invisible daggers follow your strike and form a whirling cloud.
At-Will ~ Arcane, Force, Weapon
Standard Action --- Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier force damage.
Increase to 2[W] at 21st level.
Effect: The square the target currently occupies is filled with sharp daggers of force. Any creature that enters or starts its turn in the area takes force damage equal to your Wisdom modifier (min 1). Remains in place until end of next turn, dismiss as a minor action.

Ray of Frost:
Gelid Thrust (Wizard At-Will 1)
Strokes of boreal energy erupt from the blade now resting in your foe's thigh, chilling your foe to the bone.
At-Will ~ Arcane, Cold, Weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Scorching Burst:
Scorching Arc
A scything motion burns foes with golden flames.
At-Will ~ Arcane, Fire, Weapon
Standard Action --- Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier fire damage.

Thunderwave:
Thunderous Pulse
You plunge your weapon downward, creating an explosive sonic burst.
At-Will ~ Arcane, Thunder, Weapon
Standard Action --- Close burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier thunder damage, and you push the target a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier.
Increase damage to 2[W] at 21st level.

And, just one encounter power, 'cause I feel like it:

Chill Strike:
Hyperborean Rend
Your foe's last breath... shall also be his mintiest.
Encounter ~ Arcane, Cold, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
(I just did that last one because I wanted to use the "minty last breath" quote.)

JRKlein
2010-10-23, 04:34 PM
Looks good to me. Sounds rather Swordmage-ish, but it works.

Just one question:

The target's current area is filled with sharp daggers of force.

What do you mean by "the target's current area"? The square it occupies, or what?

Mando Knight
2010-10-23, 08:00 PM
Thunderous Pulse is too much of a wide-area effect (covers nearly twice the area of Thunderwave), and it and Scorching Arc deal altogether too much damage for at-will area attacks (outside of Strikers).

If you want to play a melee Wizard, just play a Swordmage. More HP, higher AC, and can do sword-magic right out of the box... because that's their thing.

Lateral
2010-10-23, 08:09 PM
I can't use Swordmage unless you can point me to a link-- I have no splatbooks. You're probably right about Thunderous Pulse, but I really wanted a close burst and burst 1 seemed to cover too little ground.
Edit: Thunderous Pulse changed to burst 1.

Mando Knight
2010-10-23, 08:20 PM
I can't use Swordmage unless you can point me to a link-- I have no splatbooks. You're probably right about Thunderous Pulse, but I really wanted a close burst and burst 1 seemed to cover too little ground.

$10 says you can get all the 4e material you could want.
No, really. I'm serious. (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Subscription.aspx)

Burst 1 covers about the same as Blast 3: 8 squares vs 9. Burst 1/Blast 3 is about as large as it gets for at-will spells. Sword Burst (a Swordmage At-Will, FRPG p 27) is a close burst 1 that deals 1d6+Int damage, so a close burst 2 that deals 1[W]+Int damage is strictly better by far and thus too powerful (although Sword Burst does have the single advantage of only targeting enemies). The Master's Wand of Thunderwave (Adventurer's Vault 1, p 110) has the ability to turn a Thunderwave into a close burst 1 as one of its two abilities (the other being Thunderwave 1/encounter).