PDA

View Full Version : Feats for Halloween![3.5, PEACH]

Pyromancer999
2010-10-23, 04:54 PM
Seeing as Halloween is coming up, me and my players gathered to create the first in a series of holiday-themed feat sets. Enjoy!

Holiday Fluff
We've seen them all before: the person who eats nothing but candy and wears their costume all day on Halloween, the person who stays up all night waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve, that enthusiastic drunk guy at every New Years party. These people embody the spirit of holidays. These Scions of the Holiday believe and obsess about the holiday they are devoted to so much, that their association with that holiday causes the spirit of the holiday to infuse itself within the Scion, granting it awesome holiday-themed powers.

Rules for Holiday feats

Holiday feats, for the most part, act the same as a heritage feat-chain, excepting one thing: Once you choose a holiday to embody, you cannot choose to embody another holiday. For example, a Scion of Halloween could not choose the Scion of Christmas feat and start taking Christmas feats.

Now, time for the actual feats:

Scion of Halloween[Holiday, Halloween]
Benefit:You get so much into Halloween that it begins to grant you special powers. You gain low-light vision and a +1 per [Halloween] feat on Spot checks in low-light conditions
Special: You cannot take a [Holiday] feat for any other holiday after taking this feat

Candy Lover[Holiday, Halloween]
Prerequisites: Scion of Halloween, any other Halloween feat
Benefit: You produce candy out of nowhere with an effect similar to the Goodberry spell, except that it affects the candy produced instead. When others consume this candy, it has the standard effect the spell would normally have on them. However, when you eat the candy, you may choose to forgo the healing granted by it in order to gain one of the following effects:

Sugar Rush: You are under the effect of Expeditious Retreat for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the number of Halloween feats you have.
Hyper: You gain a bonus to your speed equal to 5 x the # of Halloween feats you have for a number of rounds equal to the number of Halloween feats you have
Candy is good for you: You heal a number of hit points equal to 1 + the number of Halloween feats you have
Candy is my Strength: you gain a +2 bonus to Str or Con for a number of rounds equal to the number of Halloween feats you have

You may make use of this feat a number of times per day equal to 1/2 the Halloween feats you have(rounded down)

Cool Costume[Holiday, Halloween]
Prerequisites: Scion of Halloween
Benefit: You learn how to create cool costumes through the power of Halloween. You gain an effect similar to Disguise Self, except that the caster level is equal to your HD, the duration is changed to 1 hour/caster level, and it is a supernatural ability. You may create such an effect a number of times per day equal to the number of Halloween feats you have.

Awesome Costume [Holiday, Halloween]
Prerequisites: Scion of Halloween, Cool Costume, 6th level
Benefit: Your costumes just became more awesome. The Disguise Self effect changes to Alter Self, except that the wearer can treat his type as any one other type, chosen when this feat is selected, otherwise acting the same as the effect granted by Cool Costume. This feat counts as two uses of the Cool Costume feat.

Scary Costume[Holiday, Halloween]
Prerequisites:Scion of Halloween, Awesome Costume , Cool Costume, 9th level
Benefit: When under the effect granted by Awesome Costume, you gain the Frightful Presence ability(10+1/2 HD+Cha Will save).

Pumpkin Bombs[Holiday, Halloween]
Prerequisites: Scion of Halloween, 3rd level
Benefit: You learn how to throw Pumpkin Bombs like that guy in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. You gain the ability to throw one pumpkin bomb per encounter per Halloween feat you have. These pumpkin bombs are ranged touch attacks that deal 1d6 fire damage per Halloween feat you possess(Reflex half), and have a range of 5 + 5 feet/Halloween feat you have.

Major Scion of Halloween[Holiday, Halloween]
Prerequisites: Scion of Halloween, three other Halloween feats, 12th level
Benefit: You are essentially a beloved child of Halloween. You gain darkvision to a number of feet equal to 10 per Halloween feat you possess. Once per day per Halloween feat you have, you may project a frightful aura for a number of rounds equal to the number of Halloween feats you posses. This acts like the frightful presence ability, except that it is a supernatural ability, can affect other creatures with up to 1.5 x your HD, and may affect even those who are immune to fear effects.

Please PEACH

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-23, 05:08 PM
Candy Lover's Sugar Rush ability is pretty overpowered for two reasons: first, it doesn't specify what type of action (extra full-round action? Sweet!), secondly, extra actions are overpowered in the first place. Sure, it takes two feats and only last one round with minimum investment, and there aren't enough feats to make it last much longer than three rounds, but it's still something that people would kill for very often.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-23, 05:15 PM
Changed Sugar Rush so that it's not that different from Hyper until I figure out a more balanced and flavorful way to implement it that doesn't involve extra actions.

Anyways, any more comments?

Thugorp
2010-10-23, 06:58 PM
I would say that sugar rush is pretty good now, especially considering it probably takes a move action to swallow the candy. you could probably simplify it by just saying, that, the candy produces an effect that acts exactly as, "Expeditious Retreat," does, except that you CAN move towards your opponent(s).

Pyromancer999
2010-10-23, 07:13 PM
Alright, changed the wording on that.

Any more comments on Sugar Rush or the other feats?

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-23, 07:19 PM
I would say that sugar rush is pretty good now, especially considering it probably takes a move action to swallow the candy. you could probably simplify it by just saying, that, the candy produces an effect that acts exactly as, "Expeditious Retreat," does, except that you CAN move towards your opponent(s).

Umm... Expeditious Retreat has no restriction on what direction you can move. It just gives a 30ft enhancement bonus to your speed. The spell specifically says this to stop people from thinking it can only be used for retreat.:smallconfused:

Pyromancer999
2010-10-23, 07:42 PM
Changed the wording again.

Anyone have comments on the other feats?

absolmorph
2010-10-23, 09:02 PM
Isn't the method of calculating an ability's save given with the ability?
I'm looking at Scary Costume.

Also, are the bonuses year-round?

Pyromancer999
2010-10-23, 09:19 PM
Isn't the method of calculating an ability's save given with the ability?
I'm looking at Scary Costume.

Also, are the bonuses year-round?

Hmm.... I believe there is a standard calculation for that in the description of Frightful Presence, but I'll have to double-check

And yes, the feats apply year-round. However, I'm tinkering with the idea that there should be no limits on the use of the abilities on the actual holiday.

Didn't quite get your questions, so I hope I answered satisfactorily.

absolmorph
2010-10-24, 03:19 AM
Hmm.... I believe there is a standard calculation for that in the description of Frightful Presence, but I'll have to double-check

And yes, the feats apply year-round. However, I'm tinkering with the idea that there should be no limits on the use of the abilities on the actual holiday.

Didn't quite get your questions, so I hope I answered satisfactorily.
You got 'em.
I noted the lack of a method of calculation because it is standard, but having the calculation included in the feat reduced the time spent searching through rules.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-24, 09:07 AM
having the calculation included in the feat reduced the time spent searching through rules.

True, true. I'll have to go through my books to put it in later....providing I can find them.

Any further comments?

Pyromancer999
2010-10-24, 03:24 PM
Also, would anyone be interested in a prestige class involving this feats?

InfiniteNothing
2010-10-24, 04:46 PM
Hmm... A prestige class would be interesting...

Sure, put it up.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-24, 07:22 PM
Hmm... A prestige class would be interesting...

Sure, put it up.

Shall do, although it'll probably be a while before I have the time do so.

Meanwhile, more comments on the feats?

absolmorph
2010-10-25, 12:59 AM
True, true. I'll have to go through my books to put it in later....providing I can find them.

Any further comments?
The SRD says it's a DC 10+1/2 racial HD+Cha Will save.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-25, 03:34 PM
The save has been added.

Anyone else want to PEACH this?

Thugorp
2010-10-26, 05:20 PM
Umm... Expeditious Retreat has no restriction on what direction you can move. It just gives a 30ft enhancement bonus to your speed. The spell specifically says this to stop people from thinking it can only be used for retreat.:smallconfused:

oh, my bad then. I was really just trying to say that refuring to the spell would maybe be easier without losing to much. thanks though.

Dracomortis
2010-10-26, 05:57 PM
The Sugar Rush and Hyper options of the Candy Lover feat probably need to be combined, or at least further differentiate from each other. Once you have 6 Halloween feats, Hyper is always the better choice because it provides the same speed increase for twice as many rounds (if you have all 7 Halloween feats its actually faster in addition to lasting twice as long).

Pyromancer999
2010-10-26, 06:05 PM
The Sugar Rush and Hyper options of the Candy Lover feat probably need to be combined, or at least further differentiate from each other.

I'm currently thinking of some ways to differentiate the two. Any suggestions anyone may have are welcome.

DracoDei
2010-10-26, 06:09 PM
Once you choose a holiday to embody, you cannot choose to embody another holiday. For example, a Scion of Halloween could not choose the Scion of Christmas feat and start taking Christmas feats.

See "The Nightmare Before Christmas" for an example of what violating this rule tends to result in?

Changed Sugar Rush so that it's not that different from Hyper until I figure out a more balanced and flavorful way to implement it that doesn't involve extra actions.

Well, it DOES involve extra actions, but you might want to look at my True Haste (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164282) spell for how to do extra actions in a more balanced way.

For Candy Lover, note that Goodberry doesn't produce anything, it merely enchants pre-existing berries.

Awesome Costume is probably very breakable... but that is hardly your fault.

Pumpkin Bomb's probably needs to specify times "per day" rather than times per unspecified time period. Range Touch or Reflex Half would also be nice.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-26, 06:39 PM
See "The Nightmare Before Christmas" for an example of what violating this rule tends to result in?

......sorry, I don't get it.

Well, it DOES involve extra actions, but you might want to look at my True Haste (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164282) spell for how to do extra actions in a more balanced way.

Interesting. Not sure if it's entirely what I'm looking for here, but definitely something to consider.

For Candy Lover, note that Goodberry doesn't produce anything, it merely enchants pre-existing berries.

Changed so that it produces candy.

Awesome Costume is probably very breakable... but that is hardly your fault.

Working on making it less so at the moment, but not entirely sure how to implement ideas without nerfing the feat.

Pumpkin Bomb's probably needs to specify times "per day" rather than times per unspecified time period.

I would do Bombs per day, except in that case, I would probably give them more Bombs, as with that feat, I'm going for a kind of Green Goblin/Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hallow throwing pumpkin bombs frequently, but not too much so.

Range Touch or Reflex Half would also be nice.
What?

InfiniteNothing
2010-10-26, 06:55 PM
Actually, I think Pumkin Bombs is fine as it is. After all, at most it allows them 7d6 ponts of damage 7 times per encounter. Hell, Warlocks have more damage potential than that, not to mention most spellcasters.

DracoDei
2010-10-27, 08:20 AM
Jack Skelington, the main character of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was REALLY good at doing Halloween... when he tried Christmas, it was an absolute disaster. Ergo, what happens when someone with a lot of the Halloween feats tries (and fails) to take one of the Christmas feats.

Per day, per encounter... whatever works. My real point was that you needed to say per WHAT (which you seem to have added now, although perhaps I just SOMEHOW managed to miss it the first time around).

And what I am saying is that automatically causing damage, with no way to avoid or reduce it built in is USUALLY a no-no (Magic Missile being the exception). Your Pumpkin bombs seem to always hit, and not involve a reflex save for half. That didn't look right to me.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-27, 02:21 PM
Jack Skelington, the main character of "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was REALLY good at doing Halloween... when he tried Christmas, it was an absolute disaster. Ergo, what happens when someone with a lot of the Halloween feats tries (and fails) to take one of the Christmas feats.

Oh, now I get it. Might be useful for in-game fluff of what happens if a character tries to do such a thing (not necessarily a long adventure, but you get the idea). For the record, I shall make Christmas feats sometime in December, in case anyone was wondering if and when more Holiday feats were coming out.

And what I am saying is that automatically causing damage, with no way to avoid or reduce it built in is USUALLY a no-no (Magic Missile being the exception). Your Pumpkin bombs seem to always hit, and not involve a reflex save for half. That didn't look right to me.

Oh. Reflex for half added into the feat. Also, it is officially a ranged touch attack.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-28, 05:07 PM
The prestige class based around the Halloween feats is now posted, on a separate thread. Take a look at the Pumpkin King (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173789).