PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 1 total conversion

teslas
2010-10-23, 10:45 PM
We're pretty much done. I don't want to go too far in depth and words everyone to death.

6 classes. 10 levels.
6 prestige classes, 10 levels each, predetermined per base class.
Complete magic and spell list rework.

The DMG is basically the nintendo power guide to FF1. We just now started the campaign. We're going to keep detailed notes of the campaign and keep them with all of the source material.

I know there was already a FFd20 but we did not care for it. His heart was in the right place but it seems like he ran out of steam before he finished it into a working, polished state.

The system, in the future and by design, could easily have other classes added to it to facilitate playing through any of the other Final Fantasies.

The reason why I'm posting is that I wouldn't mind, and would rather be very appreciative of, someone who is interested in looking over A LOT of material and giving their opinions or insights.

It is all on Google Wave currently. An account (which is free and takes 3 seconds to start, 1 if you already have a gmail address) is required to view it.

Please PM your wave info or post here and I'll gladly add you to them. If you're curious on more details I can explain further.

Thanks for your time.

Zeta Kai
2010-10-24, 06:58 PM
I know there was already a FFd20 but we did not care for it. His heart was in the right place but it seems like he ran out of steam before he finished it into a working, polished state.

Well, Viladin has ambition, but I think that he should have focused on one game at a time, which is my approach. As long as the power levels remain consistent, then it would be a much more efficient method.

It is all on Google Wave currently. An account (which is free and takes 3 seconds to start, 1 if you already have a gmail address) is required to view it.

Isn't Wave defunct? I thought that Google wasn't continuing that project.

Shpadoinkle
2010-10-24, 07:44 PM
Or you could put a .rar or something the rules on megaupload.com so people don't have to give away contact information.

Temotei
2010-10-24, 09:50 PM
Well, Viladin has ambition, but I think that he should have focused on one game at a time, which is my approach. As long as the power levels remain consistent, then it would be a much more efficient method.

Agreed. I have to say, your way is better, simply because it's a lot of work, but it's manageable.

Zeta Kai
2010-10-24, 10:01 PM
Agreed. I have to say, your way is better, simply because it's a lot of work, but it's manageable.

Are you speaking to me? If so, then thank you very much. If not, well...

Temotei
2010-10-24, 10:03 PM
Are you speaking to me? If so, then thank you very much. If not, well...

I am. Your FFX-d20 project got me to join this forum. It's a wonderful thing. :smallbiggrin:

Dust
2010-10-24, 11:33 PM
I am interested in seeing this project. And being one of those wierd types who doesn't mind my contact information flying all around the net, you can drop me a line with Google Wave; I just registered under the rather appropriate name 'FFRPGd6'.

Temotei
2010-10-24, 11:43 PM
FFRPG

I look forward to updates of this system. Just saying. :smallamused:

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-10-24, 11:45 PM
We're pretty much done. I don't want to go too far in depth and words everyone to death.

6 classes. 10 levels.
6 prestige classes, 10 levels each, predetermined per base class.
Complete magic and spell list rework.

The DMG is basically the nintendo power guide to FF1. We just now started the campaign. We're going to keep detailed notes of the campaign and keep them with all of the source material.

The system, in the future and by design, could easily have other classes added to it to facilitate playing through any of the other Final Fantasies.

The reason why I'm posting is that I wouldn't mind, and would rather be very appreciative of, someone who is interested in looking over A LOT of material and giving their opinions or insights.

Please PM your wave info or post here and I'll gladly add you to them. If you're curious on more details I can explain further.

Thanks for your time.

Is everything statted out in Waves? Why not use Google Docs, then we could all see it even without a Wave account.

Dust
2010-10-24, 11:46 PM
I have come to the conclusion that the Final Fantasy 'superbosses' only exist because of the mindblowing tedium that comes from staring at spreadsheets for hours and wanting to get revenge or something or someone.
That said, it won't be long.

But this thread is about a d20 version!

teslas
2010-10-25, 12:50 AM
I appreciate your attention everyone. I am sorry for the wall of text. tl;dr at bottom of post.

1. About Google Wave in general

It is "defunct" in that they have stopped developing it. It will remain in operation until Q1 2011, at which time the official servers will close and only private servers will be run. I won't go into further detail here, but I will be very sad when that happens.

2. Why we chose Google Wave

Three of us edit it--often many (mostly small) revisions per day. The availability and accessibility for all of us to edit and discuss things cannot be found in any other medium besides wave with such ease of use over many devices.

3. Why we didn't dump it to another format

Time. We didn't know if anyone would actually care, and that kind of copy/pasting with preserving formatting and the HTML tables that are inserted into the waves would make this tedious. It WILL happen of course, but it seemed a bit silly to do so while revisions were still being made very often. Different people could comment on something that has already been changed for well over 24 hours, if not days.

4. About Google Wave accounts

I don't think you have to give anything to other people you don't want to. Sign up for a new gmail address if you like. It takes barely any time and you can stop using it when you're done. I apologize for not considering "privacy issues" as I personally don't concern myself with them very often. That's probably a fault to some degree.

5. About the actual system and play-testing

We actually played a session tonight. The DM is doing a fantastic job importing both the theme of FF1 and the feel of the later, more story-driven aspects of final fantasies into the d20 format.

This time, we bribed goblins (didn't work out well), broke out of the Cornelia palace prison (don't ask, oops), fought gigas worms/creeps in a random encounter, and began to crawl through garland's temple for another couple of encounters. Lots of fun and very challenging. I am pleased with how the system is progressing and my only regret is not being able to see the two classes we weren't able to bring along in action.

And not just the classes in action, but the way you can customize them. I won't go into depth, but this is d20 and almost the entirety of the D&D core feat set is supported. The possibility for character customization, unlike FF1, is immense. We personally allow feats from all but a few wizard's sources. (Screw the faerun books, etc). We also have a healthy number of homebrew feats, although they mostly center around casting.

The game, like most D&D games, assumes players will hit level 3 rather rapidly, as every class has its defining features by then. We hit it at the end of tonight's session. I'm looking forward to the next time we play.

I will be bugging the DM to post his monsters (I chose not to participate in monster development because I wanted to be surprised as a player) after we're done encountering them.

Dust. Good man. I'll add you tonight. Check the wave I start privately between us first if you don't mind. I'll explain a thing or two to probably avoid a question or two preemptively.

tl;dr
We'll end up dumping it all to another format once we get a few non-us people's insights for a little while. Thanks a bunch again for those of you who are interested.