PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need to make a Mounted Psionic Warrior

BladedWarlord
2010-10-23, 10:47 PM
I'm a bit new so I'm not sure if this is the right place.

I want to make a Mounted Psionic Warrior.

What's the best way to do this?

Presume SRD, Core, Crystal keep...But no other books...

I was thinking core skill of ride (obviously), I'm not sure how I would get Handle Animal as a class skill...

Feats - Mounted combat, Ride by attack, spirited charge, Short haft (to attack with the lance when I'm on foot). I need a way to get pounce (Full attack on charge) Can pounce get me a full attack on a ride by attack?

Also I think a race with a natural claw attack (as a lot of psionic powers help this)... Also taking proficiency in Lance.... or some other form of reach weapon...

Any ideas?

Psyren
2010-10-24, 01:09 AM
Either EK or Hidden Talent your way to Astral Construct and ride that. You control it mentally, so you'll have no need for Ride or Handle Animal checks.

Psywars don't (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psioniclionscharge.htm) need (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hustle.htm) pounce.

BladedWarlord
2010-10-24, 01:20 AM
EK? Hidden Talent? Please explain?

Ah I hadn't considered Psionic Lions charge...

Hustle seemed bad considering I'll be using Spirited Charge and Ride by Attack... Hustle causing AoO's....

FMArthur
2010-10-24, 01:31 AM
Expanded Knowledge is a feat (EPH 46) that lets you learn any psionic power from any list up to one level lower than the highest level powers you can manifest. It requires manifester level 3.

Hidden Talent (EPH 67) is a feat that lets you learn any first-level psionic power and grants you 2 pp. It can only be taken at first level, though.

BladedWarlord
2010-10-24, 01:43 AM
Expanded Knowledge is a feat (EPH 46) that lets you learn any psionic power from any list up to one level lower than the highest level powers you can manifest. It requires manifester level 3.

Hidden Talent (EPH 67) is a feat that lets you learn any first-level psionic power and grants you 2 pp. It can only be taken at first level, though.

Ahhhh okay...But Astral Construct only lasts 1 round/level...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-24, 01:50 AM
Other option is grabbing a psicrystal, and metamorphosis sharing it with your psicrystal converting it into a suitable mount (this method needs EK metamorphosis..so only comes into play at arround ECL 12-ish IIRC)

BladedWarlord
2010-10-24, 01:53 AM
First, that's an insane avatar. Secondly....ECL 12th won't work...

We're starting at twelfth.

Weasel of Doom
2010-10-24, 03:01 AM
The wild cohort feat is a pretty good way of getting a mount

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

BladedWarlord
2010-10-24, 03:48 AM
That's an awesome feat....What are the chances of a DM allowing a wild cohort at a level equivalent to a druid instead of 3 levels lower?

Gaiyamato
2010-10-24, 03:53 AM
That feat is totally awesome.

I wonder, would an animal cohort count as an animal companion for prestige class and feat requirements? Or would it count as a cohort?

Psyren
2010-10-24, 11:14 AM
Ahhhh okay...But Astral Construct only lasts 1 round/level...

Still very worth it even so, and remember that you can just recast it when the duration is up. Combat will rarely last 12 rounds anyway.

Check out the menu of abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/astralConstruct.htm) to get an idea for all the options you can load onto one.

Prime32
2010-10-24, 11:40 AM
Still very worth it even so, and remember that you can just recast it when the duration is up. Combat will rarely last 12 rounds anyway.There is a bigger problem. Astral construct requires 1 round to manifest, and another to mount. You just lost 2 rounds of combat.

That's an awesome feat....What are the chances of a DM allowing a wild cohort at a level equivalent to a druid instead of 3 levels lower?Unlikely, but try the Natural Bond feat (+3 effective druid level for determining AC abilities, cannot exceed character level).

I have a handbook on this:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414

Psyren
2010-10-24, 02:46 PM
There is a bigger problem. Astral construct requires 1 round to manifest, and another to mount. You just lost 2 rounds of combat.

Eh? Mounting is only a move action (and becomes a free action with a DC 20 Ride check.) So Hustle gets you into the saddle post-manifestation and you still have a round's worth of actions to take after that.

AC can also be quickened if need be, but ACs are durable enough to offset the manifesting time imo.

Prime32
2010-10-24, 03:27 PM
Eh? Mounting is only a move action (and becomes a free action with a DC 20 Ride check.) So Hustle gets you into the saddle post-manifestation and you still have a round's worth of actions to take after that.Not quite. A 1-round manifesting time is not the same as a full-round action - it continues until the start of your next turn. You'd have to manifest hustle on the second round, which means you would still miss a swift action.

Psyren
2010-10-24, 04:26 PM
Not quite. A 1-round manifesting time is not the same as a full-round action - it continues until the start of your next turn. You'd have to manifest hustle on the second round, which means you would still miss a swift action.

I'm aware of that; But you don't need a Swift to full attack or charge.
And you can still quicken a 1-round power if you really need to.

And if he makes the Ride check, he doesn't even need Hustle to mount, which lets him retain his swift if he really needs it. He'll have more skill points for Ride anyway since he won't need Handle Animal or Heal to take care of a conventional mount.

There's also the previously-mentioned idea of sharing metamorphosis with his Psicrystal and riding that instead, for late-game.

BladedWarlord
2010-10-24, 04:57 PM
Also take into account that I need my PP for other things...

Summoning a mount every 10 minutes will be a massive drain.

Psyren
2010-10-24, 05:08 PM
Also take into account that I need my PP for other things...

Summoning a mount every 10 minutes will be a massive drain.

You're going to be in combat that often? :smallconfused:
Ride a horse if you really want one, I'm just pointing out a path that will save you lots of skill points and be very effective in the long run.