PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How do I become immune to subdual damage?

The Rabbler
2010-10-24, 06:17 AM
I'm building a bard and i plan on using Words of Creation from the BoED. Words of Creation does a significant amount of subdual damage (at least at low levels) and I'd like to be able to not have to worry about it. My google-fu has failed me, so I'm asking the playground.

preferably without an undead/construct template, but if that's what it takes...

all sources are allowed, in case it matters.

Coidzor
2010-10-24, 06:19 AM
Trollblood feat makes everything but fire and acid non-lethal to you. which would synergize well with your method of becoming immune to it.

The emerald legion has some musing on that vein, IIRC.

Warforged and 2 levels in warforged juggernaut (probably counterproductive to what you're trying for though) gives immunity to nonlethal. Warforged and the feat Improved Resiliency [Warforged] (RoE p119) grants immunity to nonlethal damage. It also forbids fast-healing and regeneration from spells or innately. So you'd be reliable on other forms of out of combat healing other than a wand of lesser vigor, for instance. (found a bit of conversation here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83512))

An added benefit of being warforged bard: can play a lyre of building for like, forever.

The Rabbler
2010-10-24, 06:22 AM
I'm not looking for a way to become immune to damage all-together; that could easily be done with a half-black dragon, half-vampire, war troll. I'm just interested in actually becoming immune to subdual damage while still having a playable character at low levels.

Coidzor
2010-10-24, 06:36 AM
Gheden (DR313 p 63) and Woodling(maybe) (MM3 p 198) are two templates, though Gheden is a -4 cha with an LA of 1 and Woodling is an LA +3 template.

The Rabbler
2010-10-24, 07:47 AM
hmm, those could work. I'll look them up, thanks.

Ernir
2010-10-24, 08:27 AM
Favor of the Martyr (SpC 89), a Paladin 4 spell, makes you immune to nonlethal (and a great list of other things too).

Amiel
2010-10-25, 12:45 AM
You would need a form of regeneration, I believe; what class and level are you? You could shapechange/polymorph into a planetar.

JonestheSpy
2010-10-25, 01:14 AM
{Scrubbed}

RelentlessImp
2010-10-25, 04:01 AM
{Scrubbed}

Uh, what? Someone comes to ask about optimizing a concept and you take this opportunity to stand on a soapbox and decry the optimization? As I recall, the OP didn't ask for opinions on optimization as a whole, but for advice on how to optimize their character.

If you don't like optimization, gee, I dunno, start your own damn thread crusading against it instead of insulting someone for requesting assistance from their fellow players. Christ.

To the OP: I can't add anything other players haven't already, but Trollblood is the best option, as neither Gheden nor Woodling are worth the LA. Best of luck to you, though.

FelixG
2010-10-25, 04:42 AM
I like Warforged with Improved Resiliency, kind of awesome to see a construct who knows words of creation :D

JeminiZero
2010-10-25, 07:19 AM
Aside from the stuff already mentioned above:

1) Ferocity: This provides indirect immunity, in that even if enough non-lethal damage accures to knock you out, you can still carry on fighting as normal. Fortunately for you, there is a level 1 Bard spell that lasts minute/level and provides this ability (Beastland Ferocity, SpC pg 25). Also availble as a Geomancer Class Feature, through Lycanthropy (i.e. Were-Boar).

2) Construct Essence (RoE pg 184): Spell series that affects Warforged only, and doesn't have the fast healing block that Improved Resiliency has. The Lesser version on level 2 is good enough for providing the sublethal immunity you desire. Although the level 5 version provides a really hefty immunity list, that is certainly worthwhile if you can grab it. A possibility to consider if you decide to become a Sublime Chord.

The Rabbler
2010-10-25, 10:15 AM
Aside from the stuff already mentioned above:

1) Ferocity: This provides indirect immunity, in that even if enough non-lethal damage accures to knock you out, you can still carry on fighting as normal. Fortunately for you, there is a level 1 Bard spell that lasts minute/level and provides this ability (Beastland Ferocity, SpC pg 25). Also availble as a Geomancer Class Feature, through Lycanthropy (i.e. Were-Boar).

this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks a lot.

Thanks for the other suggestions posted by all of you helpful people as well.

kestrel404
2010-10-25, 12:43 PM
Go divine bard and take levels in the Bone Knight prestige class from Five Nations (eberron campaign setting).

subject42
2010-10-25, 12:52 PM
It might be a bit pricey for you at low levels, but the Talisman of Undying Fortitude from the MiC gives you undead qualities for rounds/day. I think it's 8k gold pieces.