PDA

View Full Version : Short Quest Idea [RT]

Dvil
2010-10-24, 08:01 AM
Okay guys. Basically, I've recently managed to set up a RT group, and my friend is GMing this. He's clearly a lot more comfortable GMing than I am, but he barely know the rules. So, to help us both, what I've suggested is that every now and again we swap positions, where I GM while he plays for a bit. So, I've started planning a short Endeavour for the group to participate in, that will hopefully act as a side-quest to not distract too much from his main plot, while also adding in a potential recurring antagonist/ally that he can use or not. So basically, here's my plan for you guys to look over:

It starts out the usual way, with the party entering a tavern and inquiring about work in the local area. The barman nods to a man sitting with his back to them, and explains that he's looking for a crew with a fast ship and keen minds, if they're up for it. Upon approaching this man, they notice that he appears to be wearing a uniform, though not one that they recognise. He introduces himself as an Arbites Intelligence Officer, and begins to describe the job.

He narrates how a few weeks ago, he was approached by a man. This man related to him a tale of a criminal organisation named Orion, who have men in the repair sections of the orbiting spacedock sabotaging the warp drives of the ships they repair, and also have a small fleet of raider ships that can swoop in and steal the now-crippled ship after its engines cut out mid-voyage. The arbites officer asks the party to attempt to infiltrate this group, and either gain a position of trust or briefly sabotage their operations, whichever seems easiest. He then explains that repair dock 3Beta seems to be the one they work from mostly, so perhaps visiting that might be a good idea.

Now hopefully, at this stage the PCs will visit dock 3b with what is obviously a raider-class vessel and inquire about any work in the area. If not I'll try to improvise something that gets them roughly on the correct path. After some interaction with the various members of Orion, they finally meet someone with authority, who explains that as a test he'll allow them to go after a transport they recently sabotaged. However, to make sure of their loyalty, another ship will be sent along with them. They are told to visit a certain bar nearby at 7pm each night, and order an amasec, Zayth-style (I'll mention this to the players as an opportunity to go shopping and stock up). Once the transport sends out its distress signal, an Orion operative will come to get them ready, and that drink is his way of recognising them.

Upon meeting the PCs, this operative will explain that he is the man who initially went to the Arbites officer with information, and that they can trust him, fully.

Upon reaching the transport (assuming that the navigation rolls resulted in them making decent time), they arrive to discover that the other raider hasn't yet arrived. The transport then hails them, assuming that the party have come to help them, and claiming that they can pay well should the party save them. At that stage, the Orion raider arrives, and invites the party to launch the first salvo. I'll leave it up to them whom they target.

Upon returning to wherever they set out from, they will get a minor reward in PF from either Orion or the arbites man, along with a promise of future work from their chosen side.

So, what do you think? It's probably worth mentioning that the party arch-militant has Enemy (Arbites) and Peer (Underworld), so I can predict which way he'll swing fairly easily.

Accersitus
2010-10-24, 11:13 AM
I don't know your group, but I would be ready for the players not just siting in
the bar all the time while they wait. If they could identify the sabotaged ship
while Orion waits for the warp drive to fail, maybe they could get an Astropath
to send a message to the ship, having the crew abandon the ship (and take
their cargo with them) before the drive fails. They could hide somewhere the
players could pick them back up, maybe even wire their own ship to explode (so
there is minimal trace the sip was empty).
It's sort of a half way solution, where the sabotaged ship is destroyed (but the
crew and cargo is safe) sabotaging Orions efforts, while Orion has to do a bit of
digging to know the players were involved (since they appear at the bar each
night as told), and the target is destroyed by the opening salvo the players
were encouraged to fire by the raider.
Best case, they infiltrate Orion and sabotage them at the same time,
worst case they botch it and the raider gets the crew and cargo knowing
the players tried to sabotage them.

Dvil
2010-10-24, 11:49 AM
That's an option, but I'm not sure how I could suggest that. I'd certainly go along with it if they came up with that idea themselves, but I don't really want to just sit and list all the various options they could take. I'd rather just mention the ones that the NPCs in question would mention, and let them come up with any third route.

Iku Rex
2010-10-24, 12:16 PM
One thing: The PCs are the masters of a ship roughly equivalent to a star destroyer, crewed by tens of thousands of men. The whole "the party meets a mysterious stranger in a bar" plot hook seems .. off. As does looking for "work" in a repair dock.

Other than that the basic plot seems sound and "Rogue Traderish" to me.

Dvil
2010-10-24, 02:44 PM
Right, I see. How would you suggest I start it?

Iku Rex
2010-10-24, 08:18 PM
They could just get a coded message from the Adeptus Arbites (or Navy Intelligence, or an Inquisitor), requesting a meeting. Or they could go to meeting with a prospective business partner only to have him turn out to be an Arbites officer. Or you could stick to the tavern, only that one of the PCs is approached by an anonymous stranger while drinking recreationally, and convinced to talk to the rest of the group.