PDA

View Full Version : Percent to d20

Morithias
2010-10-24, 11:27 AM
Ok basically one of the many things me and my friends do is we take games and such with custom race builders and try to translate said races and so on to Dnd. A lot of the time it works really well, due to similar things being in the game already that just require minor changes. This time...not so easy.

This time I've using a fully custom race from the RTS game "Galactic Civilizations 2", and although I could probably finish it eventually myself, I've decided to come here for some basic advice on some ideas I've brainstormed.

For example my current custom race has a "+30% economics" bonus.

Would you say this should.

A. Increase the dice roll by 30% (E.g. roll a 10 increase to 13, roll a 20 becomes 26, 3 becomes 4)
B. Increase the total roll by 30%
C. Give some feat-based bonus (e.g the mercantile background feat for free).
or
D. Some other recommendation.

The race in question has the following bonuses.

Economics: +30%
Influence: +30%
Diplomacy: +30% (This is going to be nerfed to only being used in trading situations, and we use Rich's altered system).
Luck: +25%

Ernir
2010-10-24, 11:36 AM
If the percentage roll is compared against a "DC" (a number you need to exceed on your d% roll in order to succeed), you can convert the percentage bonuses to d20 bonuses on a 5% = +1 basis. So those races that have a +30% on Diplomacy in the original system would have a +6 bonus in d20.

If the other system handles skill checks differently, some different math is required.

Morithias
2010-10-24, 11:38 AM
If the percentage roll is compared against a "DC" (a number you need to exceed on your d% roll in order to succeed), you can convert the percentage bonuses to d20 bonuses on a 5% = +1 basis. So those races that have a +30% on Diplomacy in the original system would have a +6 bonus in d20.

If the other system handles skill checks differently, some different math is required.

Well...that was....easy.

Well, thanks for the help you have saved me a ton of headaches. :D