PDA

View Full Version : have I applied this tempalte correctly?

big teej
2010-10-24, 12:48 PM
greetings playgrounders, I plan on throwing a 'corrupted panther' at my group tonight, and I wanted to make sure that A) I'd applied the template correctly, and B) the party can survive this encounter. (or at least should)

I used the stats from the SRD, so this is the base creature

Size/Type: Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+4 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3) and 2 claws +1 melee (1d3+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, pounce, rake 1d3+1
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 19, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Balance +12, Climb +11, Hide +8*, Jump +11, Listen +6, Move Silently +8, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4–5 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

and here's what I got after I applied the template

Corrupted panther
Size/type: medium animal (augmented)
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Intiative+2
Speed: 40ft, climb 20 ft
Armor class: 17 (+2 dex, + 5 natural )
Base attack/Grapple: +6/+9
Attack: bite +6 melee (1d8+3) + 2 vile damage
Full attack: bite + 6 melee (1d8+3) +2 vile damage and 2 claws +1 melee (1d6+1) +2 vile damage
Space/reach: 5ft/5ft
Special attacks: improved grab, pounce, rake 1d3+1 +2 vile damage
Special qualities: low-light vision, scent, darkvision 60ft, fast healing 2
Saves: +9 fort, ref+5, will +0
Abilities str 20, dex 17, con 19 int 2, wis 10, cha 4
Skills: balance + 10, climb + 15, hide +6, jump + 15, listen + 4, move silently + 6, spot +4
Feats: alertness, weapon finesse
Environment: any land and underground
Challenge rating: 3
Treasure: none
Advancement: 4-5 HD (medium)
Level adjustment –

This corrupted panther is roughly 4 feet long and weighs about 130 lbs. this panther is covered in boils and scabs and mangy fur, and its eyes glow a dull red

if you see any mistakes please point them out to me so I can fix them before tonight.

second, survivability

the party consists of (all level 2)
a half elf rogue
a half elf ranger may not show, expects to be late at best.
elf druid
human ranger
dwarf fighter
human paladin expects to be absent tonight

is this panther, in a vacuum, a survivable encounter for this party?
I feel that it is... but I'm not good at this whole 'CR' thing.

EDIT: I've just been informed a second player may not make it, so if you feel that the encounter IS survivable for the whole party, but NOT for who is still showing, please list this as well.

Mulletmanalive
2010-10-24, 02:31 PM
Corrected Corrupted Panther:
Size/type: medium animal (augmented)
Hit Dice: 3d8+12 (25 hp)
Intiative: +2
Speed: 40ft, climb 20 ft
Armor class: 18 (+3 dex, + 5 natural ), Touch 13, Flatfooted 15
Base attack/Grapple: +2/+7
Attack: bite +7 melee (1d8+5) + 2 vile damage
Full attack: bite +7 melee (1d8+5) +2 vile damage and 2 claws +5 melee (1d4+2) +2 vile damage
Space/reach: 5ft/5ft
Special attacks: improved grab, pounce, rake 1d4+3 +2 vile damage
Special qualities: low-light vision, scent, darkvision 60ft, fast healing 2
Saves: +7 fort, ref+6, will +1
Abilities: str 20, dex 17, con 19 int 2, wis 10, cha 4
Skills: balance + 11, climb + 13, hide +7*, jump + 13, listen + 5, move silently + 7, spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack
Environment: any land and underground
Challenge rating: 3
Treasure: none
Advancement: 4-5 HD (medium)
Level adjustment: –

This corrupted panther is roughly 4 feet long and weighs about 130 lbs. this panther is covered in boils and scabs and mangy fur, and its eyes glow a dull red
Special Abilities:
DisruptionMere contact with the flesh of the Corrupted Panther deals 2 points of Vile damage to the victim. This includes unarmed attacks and anyone unfortunate enough to be grappling with it wearing anything less than Plate Mail...

Tactics: A Corrupted Panther will attempt to enter into a grapple as swiftly as possible, setting itself up to do maximum damage via corruption. It initiates a charge, preferably against a target that is unaware of its presence with someone adjacent to it. It will use its Pounce ability to deal its claw attacks to the primary target. If the primary survives this onslaught [4 claw attacks at +5...], it will use it's bite and Improved Grab to start a grapple. If the target was slain by the claws, it turns it's attention and grapple to the adjacent target.

There we are...

Your mistakes are all down to applying the modifiers to the stats to related checks instead: You have to apply the ability modifiers to the ability scores, recalculate the bonuses and then apply them back through the creature. Pathfinder Quickplates are much preferable in this regard.

To be honest, Corrupted is a really all or nothing template. I've had half competent stealth critters like Darkmantles and Chokers seriously inconveniencing level 7 parties before.

This thing is the DEATHSTAR for a low level party and in a vacuum [how are they surviving that btw?] it's going to be even worse as it doesn't need to breath but they do...pressure suits would mitigate a little of the nastiness, mind.

Note that I swapped Weapon Finesse out for something more useful. It isn't a bonus feat and it was pointless now that strength was greater than dexterity.

big teej
2010-10-24, 02:51 PM
[B]Corrected Corrupted Panther:[/B
There we are...

Your mistakes are all down to applying the modifiers to the stats to related checks instead: You have to apply the ability modifiers to the ability scores, recalculate the bonuses and then apply them back through the creature. Pathfinder Quickplates are much preferable in this regard.

To be honest, Corrupted is a really all or nothing template. I've had half competent stealth critters like Darkmantles and Chokers seriously inconveniencing level 7 parties before.

This thing is the DEATHSTAR for a low level party and in a vacuum [how are they surviving that btw?] it's going to be even worse as it doesn't need to breath but they do...pressure suits would mitigate a little of the nastiness, mind.

Note that I swapped Weapon Finesse out for something more useful. It isn't a bonus feat and it was pointless now that strength was greater than dexterity.

vacuum as in 'not accounting for terrain, other encounters thus far, extenuating circumstances, etc.'

not vacumm as in 'no air'

:smalltongue:

thanks for the fixes.

Mulletmanalive
2010-10-24, 02:57 PM
[Sigh] still managed to get something wrong...

Not taking terrain into account, it is's not able to get surprise, for whatever reason, it might be dealable. If not, expect at least one fatality. In dense terrain, the party might as well start rolling new characters...

big teej
2010-10-24, 03:11 PM
[Sigh] still managed to get something wrong...

Not taking terrain into account, it is's not able to get surprise, for whatever reason, it might be dealable. If not, expect at least one fatality. In dense terrain, the party might as well start rolling new characters...

and this is what I needed to know...

they were going to face it in the woods.

but if heavy foilage is a near guranteed to be a TPK, I'll just remove the corrupted panther and insert a 2nd level human knight with the bone template. they can serve almost the same purpose..... sorta

crap >.<