PDA

View Full Version : I don't have X, is Y a good substitute?

big teej
2010-10-24, 12:53 PM
hello playgrounders, I find myself in a rush to finish the adventure for tonight's game...

tonights game calls for a fight against a half ogre bruiser, however, I do not have the modifiers for said bruiser within any of my sourcebooks

so I was curious

as far as the party is concerened, (and the abilities)

could a GOLIATH be substituted, in all ways except for appearence, as a HALF OGRE?

thanks in advance.

(if not, please tell me which would be 'a greater threat'... and why :smallredface: )

Glyphic
2010-10-24, 12:54 PM
Which edition?

big teej
2010-10-24, 01:06 PM
oopsies.

we're running 3.x

Khatoblepas
2010-10-24, 01:11 PM
Thematically, yes, apart from a few weird things about mountain survival, which isn't important.

You could remove that and add in Large (tall) size and your players won't know the difference. Well, apart from it still having Powerful Build, of course ;)

big teej
2010-10-24, 01:21 PM
I'm just saying, from the player side of the screen,

statwise, won't this SEEM just like a half ogre?
as in how it fights and how hard it its to take down?

Khatoblepas
2010-10-24, 01:29 PM
Half-Ogres are large, Goliaths are medium. There's going to be a huge difference in how one fights, due to space and reach.

big teej
2010-10-24, 01:53 PM
hmm.....

maybe I'll just make them fight a goliath, it'd be a nice way to introduce a new player race.......

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-24, 02:11 PM
If you want to preserve that large size, you could just use a regular ogre with the racial HD and natural armor stripped and the stat adjustments halved (rounding down). That's actually not far off from what I remember of half ogre now that I think about it.

Thurbane
2010-10-25, 08:47 PM
Maybe too late, but there OGL half-ogre (2E conversion) over at the Enworld Creature Catalog (http://www.enworld.org/cc/locator/locator.php?book=3) site...

big teej
2010-10-25, 09:56 PM
due to absent players, I ended up not runnin this encounter. so it was a moot point. however thanks everyone for contributing