PDA

View Full Version : Running and skill checks...

Realms of Chaos
2010-10-24, 03:32 PM
One thing that I've never quite understood is exactly what skill checks can be used in combination with the run action.

It seems as though you can run while hiding or moving silently but that's the only distinction that I'm finding. When the PHB refers to a running jump, does that mean that a creature with a speed of 30 ft. can run 30 feet, jump a 30 foot chasm, and run another 60 feet on foot as part of the same action?

Is it possible to include climbing or swiming into a run action? What about balancing? tumbling? :smallconfused:

holywhippet
2010-10-24, 04:38 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm

Funnily enough, no. When making a long jump you get DC based on how far you are trying to jump which is doubled if you don't have a 20 foot runup. This is irrespective of what speed you are actually running at. Doesn't matter if you are a dwarf moving at a speed of 20 or a monk moving at a speed of 90.

You could arguably use balance checks while running - maybe going across a log which lies over a ravine. You could expect a nasty DC for that though.

I'm not sure about run + tumble. Tumbling to avoid enemy attacks requires moving at half speed wheras running means running at four times your speed or greater. Running doesn't do anything that would add a penalty to your tumble check either AFAIK.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-24, 04:47 PM
When making a long jump you get DC based on how far you are trying to jump which is doubled if you don't have a 20 foot runup. This is irrespective of what speed you are actually running at. Doesn't matter if you are a dwarf moving at a speed of 20 or a monk moving at a speed of 90.

Actually, having a higher speed gives a bonus to your jump check, if I remember correctly. Which I do.

Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

Realms of Chaos
2010-10-24, 05:08 PM
Hmmm... perhaps I should rephrase my question...

Can skill checks that result in movement or that are made as part of a move action also be used as part of a run action?

For example, when the tumble skill claims that it is used as "part of a move action", does that mean that it can be used with any form of movement (running and charging included) or only with individual move actions up to your speed?

holywhippet
2010-10-24, 05:12 PM
I stand corrected.

I don't understand this though:

If you have ranks in Jump and you succeed on a Jump check, you land on your feet (when appropriate). If you attempt a Jump check untrained, you land prone unless you beat the DC by 5 or more.

That seems a bit excessive IMO - jump isn't exactly a skill you should need to train.

holywhippet
2010-10-24, 05:18 PM
For example, when the tumble skill claims that it is used as "part of a move action", does that mean that it can be used with any form of movement (running and charging included) or only with individual move actions up to your speed?

After reading a bit I'm going to say no. Running isn't a move action, it's a full round action.

true_shinken
2010-10-24, 05:18 PM
That seems a bit excessive IMO - jump isn't exactly a skill you should need to train.
Have you actually tried to do a long jump at least once?