PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Dodge

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-10-24, 11:56 PM
I know Dodge is generally regarded as being a rather rubbish feat, even for what it unlocks.

So what are some good alternatives to Dodge? (I refer here specifically to feats that say that they count as Dodge for the purposes of qualifying for feats or PrC's.)

dgnslyr
2010-10-25, 12:03 AM
I know Desert Wind dodge is one of those, but I don't recall it being particularly good.

AslanCross
2010-10-25, 12:06 AM
Desert Wind Dodge gives a bonus to AC and +1 fire damage on your attacks after moving 10 feet and counts as Dodge for the purpose of qualifying. Problem is, it requires knowledge of a Desert Wind Maneuver, and so probably wouldn't be usable for non-ToB users.

Expeditious Dodge gives +2 AC, but you have to move 40 feet.

I'd just ask the DM if he could just make Dodge give a flat +1 dodge AC, or have it scale up with level.

Flickerdart
2010-10-25, 12:13 AM
Luck of Heroes could be a fair replacement - flat +1 to AC and all saves. Prerequisite feats aren't supposed to be 100% super great.

The Shadowmind
2010-10-25, 12:19 AM
Midnight dodge, which is pretty much dodge, but can be increase by adding essentia, or you could consider the feat as this:You gain one essentia and count as having dodge.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-25, 12:33 AM
One thing to be wary of. The feats for which Dodge is a prereq, can be taken if you have Desertwind/Midnight/expeditious dodge. But some of them require you to designate your dodge target and give you bonuses against that target.
If you can't actually declare a dodge target because you've got a variant, that later feat won't work.

I'm trying to remember the last subject for which that became a discussion, and I think it might have been in an updated Jack B Quick build.

Pechvarry
2010-10-25, 01:56 AM
Didn't someone recently put together a thread of all the alt feats they could find? I did a search but failed.

Godskook
2010-10-25, 02:03 AM
One thing to be wary of. The feats for which Dodge is a prereq, can be taken if you have Desertwind/Midnight/expeditious dodge. But some of them require you to designate your dodge target and give you bonuses against that target.
If you can't actually declare a dodge target because you've got a variant, that later feat won't work.

That has never been a concern for any of the reasons I've ever wanted to take dodge as a pre-req. Specifically, though, which feats, other than dodge itself, require you to use dodge's 'designate' function in order to work?

The_Snark
2010-10-25, 02:21 AM
The Elusive Target feat, for one. Its two best functions (negating Power Attack, and forcing an enemy to hit its flanking buddy instead of you) will only function against the enemy targeted by your Dodge feat. The third use of the feat will still work, but that's easily the least useful part of the feat. I'm not aware of any others off the top of my head, but that's something.

Worth noting that Midnight Dodge will work with this kind of ability, since it still requires you to pick a target.