PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #754 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2010-10-25, 06:11 AM
New comic is up.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-25, 06:14 AM
Panel 7 - "Master Thudershield" is missing an 'N'.

Still great...

"Thor. Smiled. Upon. Ye.":smallfurious:

Altaria87
2010-10-25, 06:15 AM
Wait... What!? :smalleek:
I'm not even going to begin to try to understand how the Queen is flying.
Also, does anyone have an explanaiton for why the Elven ambassador was glaring at Vaarsuvius?
Edit: I meant Vaarsuvius, have no idea why I typed 'Elan' :smallsigh:

The Glyphstone
2010-10-25, 06:15 AM
He/she was glaring at Vaarsuvius too, judging by Blackwing's comment.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-25, 06:18 AM
Floop. Turns out it really was just a bad haircut; that new outfit doesn't look so bad with the old hair.

The Giant
2010-10-25, 06:19 AM
Panel 7 - "Master Thudershield" is missing an 'N'.

Fixed now.

SPoD
2010-10-25, 06:21 AM
Also, does anyone have an explanaiton for why the Elven ambassador was glaring at Vaarsuvius?

Nothing for sure, but I would guess it has something to do with the black dragon incident. That did take place in elven lands, and the ambassador would be in a position to know when and why an angry ancient dragon attacked their country.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-25, 06:21 AM
Why was the Elf glaring at V?

Good strip, though it's almost as if this is a fantasy world where the rules of physics don't apply :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

RebelRogue
2010-10-25, 06:22 AM
Is that V's mate? Is s/he an ambassador? Or is it just the hair color confusing me here?

Starbuck_II
2010-10-25, 06:23 AM
I love the Queen Red dragon.

Edhelras
2010-10-25, 06:23 AM
Huh? did that glaring elf ambassador have a cut off hand in his belt???

mucat
2010-10-25, 06:26 AM
Those poor, neglected laws of physics... :smallfrown:

Kareasint
2010-10-25, 06:30 AM
Face it, Haley. That one hair is always going to be out of place.

V's comment in the final panel was outstanding.

As for why the Ambassador was glaring at V, my guess would be that he reads the newspaper (or the magical version of it) and saw the divorce proceedings. He also may have sensed V's alignment shift. Just because you put the "white hat" back on does not mean that the effects of your actions go away.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-10-25, 06:31 AM
Gravity is not a Law, it's just a Suggestion!

Squark
2010-10-25, 06:33 AM
I weep for the square cube law.

Excellent strip, Giant.

Yendor
2010-10-25, 06:35 AM
Yay! The ponytail's back!

And I thought V liked make the laws of physics cry.

Didgy
2010-10-25, 06:37 AM
Sounds like news travels quickly in the elven world. As always, curious as to where these clues will go.

Thanks for a great strip!

Teddy
2010-10-25, 06:37 AM
*giggles*

Poor laws of physics. They've never really fitted in the fantasy universe. :smallfrown:

*continues to giggle*

EDIT:

Huh? did that glaring elf ambassador have a cut off hand in his belt???

Nope, that's his hand. If you look (not too) closely, you can see his sleve above it.

137beth
2010-10-25, 06:44 AM
Is that V's mate? Is s/he an ambassador? Or is it just the hair color confusing me here?

Looks a tad different though. Anyways, wow, the empress can fly?!?

khoregate
2010-10-25, 06:50 AM
woohooo the dragon is ELAN !!

love the Elf glaring

CWater
2010-10-25, 06:50 AM
*giggles*

Poor laws of physics. They've never really fitted in the fantasy universe. :smallfrown:

*continues to giggle*

Seconded! *giggles some more*

Actually I don't find it too hard to imagine the Empress flying; floating like a helium balloon!:smallbiggrin:

Hmm...curious about the elven ambassador...

factotum
2010-10-25, 06:56 AM

No, V's mate is a BAKER, and that character doesn't look much like her anyway despite having the same hair colour.

Is it just me, or has the Empress got even fatter? Or is that just an illusion because she's not sat on her throne at the moment?

Aidjn
2010-10-25, 07:02 AM
$5 says the Empress doesn't live out the storyline.

Assassin89
2010-10-25, 07:02 AM
Maybe it's possible that the Empress of Blood is just full of hot air. A lot of hot air.

Theodoriph
2010-10-25, 07:06 AM
Maybe it's possible that the Empress of Blood is just full of hot air. A lot of hot air.

If she has fire in her belly...maybe :smallsmile:

Sir_Norbert
2010-10-25, 07:06 AM
Well, I for one am very glad to see Haley back to her old beautiful self :)

tcrudisi
2010-10-25, 07:07 AM

That's what I was wondering. I don't know the comic titles well enough to go back with any sort of quickness and look, though.

No, V's mate is a BAKER...

Evil kingdoms need food, too.

As for hir not looking like the previous mate, well, that would be the real problem. :smallsmile:

faustin
2010-10-25, 07:08 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!:smallbiggrin:: smallbiggrin:

Mybe the legend of Darth Vaarsuvius has been spreaded across the elven lands.

Aurorax
2010-10-25, 07:10 AM
Why is the elf glaring at everyone...dun dun dunnnnnn...

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-10-25, 07:10 AM
Nothing in the rules (that I'm aware of, at least) suggests that extreme weight affects your move speed, flying or otherwise.

But, yeah. If she wasn't the Empress, she'd be arrested for breaking the laws of physics.

Morph Bark
2010-10-25, 07:11 AM
Poor Durkon's baldness. :smallbiggrin:

Strife Warzeal
2010-10-25, 07:26 AM
I read the new comics name before I read the actual comic and I was confused as hell as what it could mean. I read through the comic and then looked at the title and I started laughing out loud. I'm really lucky no one was here to hear it, otherwise I would be committed (to an asylum for those who don't know the term).

Also, unless if I'm mistaken Haley's hairstyle is a bit different from her original.

Hardcore
2010-10-25, 07:27 AM
An alternative title to the strip could have been: "Queen Bee"

Raven777
2010-10-25, 07:30 AM
I have a hunch that this ambassador is up to no good.

Roc Ness
2010-10-25, 07:31 AM
Hehehehahahahaha...! :smallbiggrin:

A piece of wollen stringer and a broken inkjet printer says that the Empress will die of the draconic equivalent to heart failure before she gets killed by any other character.

Alysar
2010-10-25, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking that word of V's little excursion to the dark side has spread throughout the elven lands.

We'll be hearing more about this soon.

JoseB
2010-10-25, 07:34 AM
I was having flashbacks to the animated movie "The Flight of Dragons", where dragons fly because their digestive systems generate hydrogen gas, thus making them into living dirigibles...

In other news, that empress is, at the same time, laughable and terrifying.

Psyren
2010-10-25, 07:44 AM
Why is the elf glaring at everyone...dun dun dunnnnnn...

It's pretty clearly not glaring at Elan, so it must have been something V did. I can't see how V's divorce could've gotten through the elven grapevine so quickly, but could that be it?

ferrodoxin
2010-10-25, 07:44 AM
What eludes me is the method with which haley could gather all that hair in one single hairpin (or whatever it is that she is using)

Toper
2010-10-25, 07:46 AM
Wow, I don't envy whoever has to vacuum Haley's room tonight.

Adeptus
2010-10-25, 07:47 AM
Spoken as somebody who plays a firemage who managed to become a dragon... that is one adorable red dragon! :elan:

Killer Angel
2010-10-25, 07:52 AM
This strip is so made of win that I don't know what to elect as a crowning moment.
"Thor. Smiled. Upon. Ye" ?
The crying laws of physics?
The cool, warm and awesome queen?
The title?

Bah, why choose? :smallbiggrin:

timoteob
2010-10-25, 07:52 AM
I don't get what Haley meant when she said Elan blew his saving through against bias.

Does anyone know?

Ron Miel
2010-10-25, 07:56 AM

Looks a tad different though.

No, V's mate is a BAKER, and that character doesn't look much like her anyway despite having the same hair colour.

Guys, it's the elf ambassador that we saw here:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html

Specifically given a name, and definitely not V's mate.

Teddy
2010-10-25, 08:06 AM
I don't get what Haley meant when she said Elan blew his saving through against bias.

Does anyone know?

Elan thinks Haley looks perfect, but that's more because Haley's his girfriend rather than because she actually look perfect - i.e. he's biased.

half-halfling
2010-10-25, 08:08 AM
Elf Ambassador can be however V's former parent-in-law :smallsmile:.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-10-25, 08:09 AM
Thank you Giant! :smallsmile:

kojar
2010-10-25, 08:11 AM
It is nice to see a title with a joke I can Easily understand, I never even knew locks was another word for hair.

Gray Mage
2010-10-25, 08:23 AM
Elf Ambassador can be however V's former parent-in-law :smallsmile:.

Or the former brother/sister-in-law.

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-25, 08:27 AM

I just love eating zeppoles ! The Empress has good taste! What? wait,.. you mean she ate a real, whole ... :smalleek:

erictheredd
2010-10-25, 08:27 AM
That elf was grumpy last time we saw him. Its likely that he does not like this job in the slightest (he's an ambassador to an evil kingdom, and he knows it) and that he is disappointed/disgruntled at seeing an elf that is apparently in cahoots with Tarquin. Elves may be pricks in this world, but they are definitely opposed to kingdoms like the empire of blood. I still think he is as likely to end up helping the party as opposing them .... this of course, depends on what Tarquin's plans are.

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-25, 08:38 AM
Hmm, perhaps Gourntonk (the guy from Reptilia) wishes to tell the Empress how Tarquin and Malack are just using her as a figurehead? And then maybe plan to use or overthrow her.

Also, I was hoping Haley's hair would be something new. :smallfrown: Something between her original and Crystal's cut (length-wise). (EDIT: It is technically different from her old style, but only subtly so.)

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-25, 08:41 AM
Nope, that's his hand. If you look (not too) closely, you can see his sleve above it.
Actually, when the comic was first posted Polozius did have a disembodied hand near his belt. It's been fixed since.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-25, 08:42 AM
I like the change in Haley's ponytail. Wonder what the connect V has to the elf ambassador?

grimbold
2010-10-25, 08:51 AM
glaring elf is ominous

Zea mays
2010-10-25, 08:56 AM
That is one very cute baloony dragon. Being awesome on her throne indeed.

This strip is chock-full of great lines, plus a glaring green-haired elf... so many questions. :smalleek:

St Fan
2010-10-25, 08:56 AM
"She can fly??" was EXACTLY what I said (well, okay, in French) when I saw panel 12 -- even before reading Elan's reaction in the last one. Uncanny.

And then I saw V's comment in the last panel and cracked up.

Shale
2010-10-25, 08:57 AM
I may be alone in thinking that the Empress' last line was funnier than V's. But they're both amazing.

Deth Muncher
2010-10-25, 09:01 AM
Yeahhh....V's last line at the end was freaking beautiful.

Blaznak
2010-10-25, 09:01 AM
Well, V and Durkon got the best lines, as far as I'm concerned.
A fun strip!

Acero
2010-10-25, 09:02 AM
That was aweswome. Can't imagine Durkon with hair.

HandofShadows
2010-10-25, 09:05 AM
I think V has turned the corner in the alignment thing. V actaully is trying to be nice to the laws of physics. That is a huge change from before. And this was funny as all heck all over the place.

dps
2010-10-25, 09:08 AM
That elf was grumpy last time we saw him. Its likely that he does not like this job in the slightest (he's an ambassador to an evil kingdom, and he knows it) and that he is disappointed/disgruntled at seeing an elf that is apparently in cahoots with Tarquin. Elves may be pricks in this world, but they are definitely opposed to kingdoms like the empire of blood.

This would be my guess. I really can't see it having anything to do with V's personal life.

Gray Mage
2010-10-25, 09:10 AM
This would be my guess. I really can't see it having anything to do with V's personal life.

V's line of "that's not the time" makes me think otherwise.

megabyter5
2010-10-25, 09:16 AM
Remember that elven culture is primarily CG, so an elf ambassador to an LE kingdom would be a generally passive-aggressive person out of necessity. If it ever vocalized its objection to the EoB's practices, there would be war. If it didn't object, why would it have been given an ambassadorial position in the first place? Basically its job is to talk to people who do things it finds thoroughly despicable without pissing them off.

Ricky S
I am still bummed about haley getting her original hair back. She was so awesome with short hair!

MarkusWolfe
Reminds me of that 'Beast Legends' Show, why they try to bring mythological beasts to life in the most feasible manner possible.

There was this one episode where they tried to recreate the Polish dragon 'Smaug'. They were able to look at some bones people thought were dragon bones back in the day. It turned out to consist of the skull of a woolly rhinoceros, the leg bone of a woolly mammoth and the rib of a whale. When they made their first model of the dragon based on this, it looked much like the queen does, but even more.

Good comic.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-25, 09:19 AM
I may be alone in thinking that the Empress' last line was funnier than V's.
No, I'm with you there. I like the Empress a lot more after this strip.

Unrelatedly: "Now is not the time". Five monosyllabic words from V? He really doesn't want to talk about it, does he?

JRKlein
2010-10-25, 09:27 AM
I am still bummed about haley getting her original hair back. She was so awesome with short hair!

I agree. I liked short-haired Haley.

deuxhero
2010-10-25, 09:29 AM
Did the Deformity:Obese feat effect your flight speed?

CelestialMagpie
2010-10-25, 09:29 AM
I agree that the elf glaring a V has to do with his alignment shift - though wouldn't he have to technically be casting a spell to determine that? Elves don't auto-detect alignment...

Otherwise, the only other time we've seen him, he's been glaring. So maybe he's just not happy with his job placement :smallwink:

V has got the best lines about the forces that make the stories move:

As evidenced here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html)

Petrocorus
2010-10-25, 09:36 AM
I also love Tarquin's line: "I'm glad you were able to tear yourselves away from yourselves for a little while."

Great lines for everyone, great comic.

Kaytara
2010-10-25, 09:51 AM
And V provides us with another absolutely-fricking-mazing quote. ^^

Why was the elf glaring at V? What is the mysterious message for the dragon's ear-holes only? How does the dragon fly?

Dun Dun DUNNNNN!

Thanatosia
2010-10-25, 09:54 AM
"If anyone needs me i'll be up here on my throne BEING AWESOME!"

And with that I think I just fell in love with the Empress of Blood.

CWater
2010-10-25, 09:57 AM
Or the former brother/sister-in-law.

Surely you mean sibling-in-law?:smallamused:

Morquard
2010-10-25, 10:02 AM
It's rare a comic makes me laugh out loud, but this one managed it.
Awesome strip.

silvadel
2010-10-25, 10:03 AM
I am guessing a relative with regard to the elf. (IE -- gets told the story about how V is in cahoots with the lower planes, then turns up in the empire of blood all friendly friendly with Tarq. That looks kind of ... in character for one who has turned to the dark side).

Haley had better be more careful and keep up her Thor thing. She almost blew it there.

Dragon flight is partially (or in this case almost exclusively) magical.

I wonder if that ambassador knows anything about V/Haley's extra-curriculars.

----

The stage is set for the gladiatorial games.

Orzel
2010-10-25, 10:09 AM
Once Belkar dies, she is my new favorite.

sihnfahl
2010-10-25, 10:12 AM
Silly, everyone knows that kids fly using happy thoughts.

And the Empress is thinking a lot of happy thoughts.

Incendax
2010-10-25, 10:20 AM
I definitely think Haley's shorter hair was more attractive and dashing.

Ranylyn
2010-10-25, 10:20 AM
Silly, everyone knows that kids fly using happy thoughts.

And the Empress is thinking a lot of happy thoughts.

Thoughts of sitting on her throne and being awesome!

Aah, Vaarsuvius, always delivering the best lines. If I was single I'd turn bi out of gender confusion :P

warmachine
2010-10-25, 10:22 AM
That a normal dragon can fly makes the laws of physics cry, let alone an obese one. Like a previous poster, I also weep for the square-cube law.

JadeTarisu
2010-10-25, 10:58 AM
I liked Haley's shorter hair. It was spunky. Ah well.
I can't wait for the next strip!

Gd8908
2010-10-25, 11:00 AM
That's nice of V. I'm going to send the laws of physics a box of chocolates. And a get well card. And a cake. And Giant, you should really apologize to them for making this comic.
Really hilarious.:smallbiggrin:

the_tick_rules
2010-10-25, 11:09 AM
I'm guessing the dragon's magic is being maxed out keeping her up. Why is the elf looking at V weird again?

whitelaughter
2010-10-25, 11:18 AM
Seconded! *giggles some more*

Actually I don't find it too hard to imagine the Empress flying; floating like a helium balloon!:smallbiggrin:

Hmm...curious about the elven ambassador...

Helium?

Dragons make more sense as hydrogen balloons; they would breathe fire as a way of losing bouyancy so that they can land.

Elven ambassador is probably a relative of V's ex.

So, surely it's time for Nale to turn up? Nale's existence will turn Malack against Elan ( as Elan said Nale was dead, so Malack would have reason to believe that Elan was in cahoots with the scoundrel who slew his children). Middle of a big parade, perfect for the family's love of the dramatic.....

zql
2010-10-25, 11:20 AM
10 gp says the ambassador is Vaarsuvius' brother in law or some Inkiryus' relative.

valce
2010-10-25, 11:30 AM
Thor. Smiled. Upon. Ye. :D

I wonder if the hair restoration potion would work on Durkon? Or maybe it would just make his beard extra large :D

Morph Bark
2010-10-25, 11:34 AM
It's pretty clearly not glaring at Elan, so it must have been something V did. I can't see how V's divorce could've gotten through the elven grapevine so quickly, but could that be it?

Some time has passed between V's encounter with the black dragon and the current strip and at that time the Order was much farther away from Empire of Blood than the Elven Lands.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-25, 11:34 AM
Have to say, though she was cute as ever with short hair in that outfit, she's cuter now with the long hair and that outfit :smallwink:

Indalecio
2010-10-25, 11:37 AM
The Empress probably shops from the same equipment catalog as Baron Harkonnen.

PhallicWarrior
2010-10-25, 11:38 AM
Amusing though the last few strips have been, this is the first one in a while in which I've been unable to do anything but giggle quietly for a few minutes afterward.

GREAT strip, Giant.

cc_kizz
2010-10-25, 11:38 AM
So, Elan is showing his paper(s) to the guard as they're running past. , err leaving the palace(?). Is he trying to make sure nothing bad happens to him like with Roy and Belkar, or is he following established protocol?

Also, I must question how Haley was able to get that tie around her hair.

rewinn
2010-10-25, 11:41 AM
"uh, Elf Ambassador Person" may be grumpy because he/she does not even get even a NAME.

And in this universe, that can be fatal.

Gd8908
2010-10-25, 11:45 AM
Wow... I didn't even see the elf. Sometimes I read so fast, I don't spend enough time on the pictures.

Gd8908
2010-10-25, 11:51 AM
I thought I was the only person who thinks that. SHORT HAIR! SHORT HAIR!

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-25, 11:57 AM
"uh, Elf Ambassador Person" may be grumpy because he/she does not even get even a NAME.

Except he does have a name. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html)

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-25, 11:58 AM
Elan thinks Haley looks perfect, but that's more because Haley's his girfriend rather than because she actually look perfect - i.e. he's biased.

:smallcool: “Faults are beauties in a lovers eye.” - Theocritus

Azuyomi244
2010-10-25, 12:03 PM
So, Elan is showing his paper(s) to the guard as they're running past. , err leaving the palace(?). Is he trying to make sure nothing bad happens to him like with Roy and Belkar, or is he following established protocol?

I think its an invitation...
It doesn't really make sense for him to be showing him the papers, why would he need too, the guard would probably know who he was, but I guess if he knows who he is there is no reason to have an invitation either...

someboddy
2010-10-25, 12:04 PM
Take that, laws of physics! That's for all the times you made my stuff fall down and break!

Anyways, V's remark sure reminds me of The 8 Bit Theater... man I miss that comic!

Grendus
2010-10-25, 12:18 PM
I actually have a feeling that the ambassador glaring at V might be a new plot hook, considering that Blackwing knows firsthand about V's divorce and weekend visit to the evil planes. Plus, Blackwing probably knows all of V's former relatives-in-law (I'm fairly sure that he wasn't actually popping in and out of existence, just in and out of awareness), so if it was a family matter Blackwing would know as much as V. It has to be something that isn't personally scandalous (Tarquion is divorced, so he wouldn't care), which means it's either about the black dragon or something new. While it's certainly possible that the karmic backlash of V's familicide spell is about to get her, I think it could be a new plot hook. Either way, I'm intrigued.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-10-25, 12:38 PM

That's what I thought at first...but they were explicitly glowering at V.

eXtreme Speculation:

Maybe it's V's ex and they'll either get together in the wake of V's disintegrated marriage, or start to get close so that the IFCC can force V to kill him or her, leading to more drama and nothing to do but seek more arcane power (which the IFCC will use).

Cleverdan22
2010-10-25, 12:48 PM
Great comic today, I think I'm pleased with Haley's new style.

Sylthia
2010-10-25, 12:49 PM
Maybe the Empress isn't flying under her own power, but either she (I know some dragons can can, but she doesn't seem the caster type) or a mage under her employ cast an overland flight spell on her.

monomer
2010-10-25, 12:49 PM
I think the glowering has to do with V's use of the Familicide spell, which is probably having repercussions on Elf/Dragon race relations. I'm pretty sure none of the rest of the Order know anything about it yet, and Blackwing wasn't there, so probably isn't aware of the Familicide either.

Calmness
2010-10-25, 12:50 PM
I bet Durkon used to have an afro.

Ron Miel
2010-10-25, 12:52 PM
What eludes me is the method with which haley could gather all that hair in one single hairpin (or whatever it is that she is using)

I doubt it's significant. It's probably just a red hair ring.

Asthix
2010-10-25, 12:54 PM
Dragon flight is partially (or in this case almost exclusively) magical.

This is why the dragon can fly. Wouldn't a harder question be why a dragon wouldn't be able to fly?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/EmpressofBlood.png: "I am here! I am your ruler! Look at me! I am cool, but I am also very warm! Woooo!"

Officially sigged due to extreme quotability. Thank you Giant.:smallbiggrin:

KillItWithFire
2010-10-25, 01:59 PM
I definitely like the newer hairstyle on Haley, allows her to look feminine while at the same time her hair doesn't look flat like it did before crystal cut it. As for the ambassador glaring at V, I imagine V's little bout with the dragon followed quickly by a divorce is a big piece of news. Though unless the ambassador knows V personally, he shouldn't reconize him, unless he's a family friend, or one of the IFCC polymorphed :smalleek:

Cerlis
2010-10-25, 02:25 PM
10 bucks says that the Dragons obsession about her coolness and her grill ends up starting trouble when something displeases her in the tournament.

Curious if it will result in Belkar digging his way out of a dragon...

BobVosh
2010-10-25, 02:43 PM
I want to see Durkon get some hair restoration. :D

binyamin20
2010-10-25, 02:47 PM
Only one way to find out!
Haley, sneak attack!

KillItWithFire
2010-10-25, 03:03 PM
10 bucks says that the Dragons obsession about her coolness and her grill ends up starting trouble when something displeases her in the tournament.

You think Belkar can find a vital organ amoungst all that fat?

cho_j
2010-10-25, 03:19 PM
I fell over laughing at the Queen's tiny speech bubble at the end. But the whole last panel was wonderful, as was "tear yourselves away from yourselves." Man, I love Tarquin's dialogue more with every strip.

Also, on the subject of V and the other elf... I think from V's dismissal of it because it's "not the time" we can assume that the reasons for the glare will be given later. Personally, I get the feeling it's either because of what happened with the Black Dragon (for whatever reason), or (possibly crazy theory) because the ambassador saw Haley and V freeing slaves and is mad that Vaarsuvius, a fellow elf, is so casually undermining the empire that the ambassador is there to be diplomatic to. You know what they say, we are all representatives of our own nations when in a foreign country. V's being a terrible representative for the elves.

Blackcloak
2010-10-25, 03:19 PM
I'm confused. Who was the green haired elf who glared at V? Other than that, awesome strip.

I know, I don't have a black cloak. I'm working on it.
You know, anyway who's wasting the time to read my signature ought to be commemorated. Congrats on running down the time!

Math_Mage
2010-10-25, 03:21 PM
"If anyone needs me, I will be up here on my throne, being awesome!"

Best line.

Ron Miel
2010-10-25, 03:27 PM
I'm confused. Who was the green haired elf who glared at V? Other than that, awesome strip.

Polozius, the ambassador (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html)

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-25, 03:28 PM
I think the glowering has to do with V's use of the Familicide spell, which is probably having repercussions on Elf/Dragon race relations. I'm pretty sure none of the rest of the Order know anything about it yet, and Blackwing wasn't there, so probably isn't aware of the Familicide either.

I never really liked the idea that the familicide would come back to bite the Order so soon (I liked the idea that one of the most powerful monsters guarding Kraagor's Gate was related), but now that I think of it, maybe that's what Gourntonk wants to tell the Empress about?

Also, couple in if word spreads about what's happening in Gobbotopia (elven "insurgents" attacking the Supreme Leader, the Prime Minister, and their strongest ally; the actual elven insurgents), and I wouldn't be surprised if at least Evil nations are fearing possible attacks from the Elven Lands.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they actually are planning to use the rifts to wipe out the "scum" of the planet. And thus why s/he is glaring at this disgrace of an elf.

Prospekt
2010-10-25, 03:29 PM

If you are referring to her head, then yes.

Anyway, first strip that actually made me laugh in a while, between Haley and Durkon, at least. I don't laugh too easily :smallfrown:

Juggling Goth
2010-10-25, 03:30 PM
Loving the Empress. Darn right, she's over there being awesome.

Lateral
2010-10-25, 03:39 PM
HAH!

Priceless!

Needle
2010-10-25, 03:41 PM
The Empress is the greatest addition in the current storyline. Everytime she talks I can't stop laughing!

Long live the queen! :smallbiggrin:

Metool2
2010-10-25, 03:43 PM
This reminds me of the 'Flight of Dragons' movie. Where they explained dragon flight as them just inflating themselves with some kind of gas to fly.

Nevitan
2010-10-25, 03:44 PM
That was spectacular, though I wonder why the elf would glare at V? Did I miss something?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-25, 03:49 PM
I absolutely love V's line here. Another great strip.

Roland Itiative
2010-10-25, 03:52 PM
I definitely like the newer hairstyle on Haley, allows her to look feminine while at the same time her hair doesn't look flat like it did before crystal cut it.

I think the "new look" Haley is sporting is just due to the fact she cut her hair with haste, and she'll trim it back to the original haircut once she has the chance... It's just like when Crystal cut it short.

I wonder what he'd turn her head into :smallamused:

Draz74
2010-10-25, 04:12 PM
Puzzled about the elven ambassador.

Amused by the joke about D&D rules. (Weight carried does affect one's ability to fly; however, one's own body weight does not count as weight carried for some reason.)

I thought in general this was the funniest strip we've had in a while. Nice work.

But mostly, I wanted to post a warning to Roy:

Dear Roy,

I thought you should know that you need to step up your comedic/plot-driving game. Because you are in danger of losing your position as my favorite OotS character.

Ever since Vaarsuvius finished hir interesting Darth V character arc, every line that's come out of hir mouth has been quality sarcastic deadpan gold. And hir actions have been admirably heroic, as well.

Love,
Draz

KillItWithFire
2010-10-25, 04:16 PM
It seems to me that while previous to the soul splice story arc, V was purely neutral. Since then I have been plesantly surprised to see that he seems to be taking very dramatic steps toward good. Let's see if he can balance out his karma by the time death comes calling.

Martok
2010-10-25, 04:37 PM
....And once again, V gets the strip's funniest line at the Empress' expense. :smallbiggrin: Love it!

Also: "Thor. Smiled. Upon. Ye." :smalltongue:

Sylthia
2010-10-25, 04:50 PM
Maybe Durkon can pick up a hair restoration potion during his stay. Although, it would probably just make his beard grow longer.

Detrinex
2010-10-25, 04:52 PM
Did Durkon say he's been bald for 40 years? Doesn't that mean he's been bald since 15?

Shatteredtower
2010-10-25, 05:00 PM
That was a generous strip, fortified with details and mirth.

Silverblaze
2010-10-25, 05:00 PM
Pure awesomeness in the field of dialogue once again, Mr. G :)

AND as for the ambassador from the Elven lands - YaY for putting the realm of Denmark in TOotS :-D Polozius = Polonius - The royal advisor to Hamlet's stepdaddy; Kinslaying King Claudius, which tells us the "why" of the glance - He has finally gotten it through his head that "brevity IS the soul of wit", so no reason for getting all longwinded here - Darth V - You bad, bad cabin boy/girl; look into my eye :biggrin:

Necroticplague
2010-10-25, 05:07 PM
Face it, Haley. That one hair is always going to be out of place.

Technically, since their is one hair on both sides, she always has TWO hairs out of place.

AgentofOdd
2010-10-25, 05:10 PM
Though not likely, I have this thought that the Queen's silly notion of size = arcane abilties theory thurned out to be true, but unfortunately, the fat forcers her to squander those spell slots with flight spells.

dgnslyr
2010-10-25, 05:21 PM
Well, dragons being able to fly is considered an impossibility itself, so the usual explanation is that they use their innate magic to help them fly.

KillItWithFire
2010-10-25, 05:28 PM
Did Durkon say he's been bald for 40 years? Doesn't that mean he's been bald since 15?

I don't find that nearly as surprising as the fact that he HAD hair at 15.

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-25, 05:30 PM
Technically, since their is one hair on both sides, she always has TWO hairs out of place.

As Bozzok points out here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0580.html), she always has one hair out of place; it simply switches sides depending on which way she's facing, in the same way by which the size and shape of the characters' eyes is dependent on which one is closer to the screen.

Tobimaro
2010-10-25, 05:42 PM
Upon seeing the Queen, it makes me think that there could be a flight maneuverability worse than Clumsy in the D&D game. :smallwink:

ss49
2010-10-25, 05:47 PM
I dunno, this strip has a lot of ominousness that has me on tenterhooks until the Bad Stuff happens. Grrrr!

Felecies
2010-10-25, 05:48 PM
I'M SO PISSED ABOUT HALEYS HAIR :smallfurious:
SHE LOOKED WAY BETTER WITH IT SHORT!!!!!!!!

Kish
2010-10-25, 05:50 PM
I'M SO PISSED ABOUT HALEYS HAIR :smallfurious:
SHE LOOKED WAY BETTER WITH IT SHORT!!!!!!!!
Switch to decaf?

herrhauptmann
2010-10-25, 06:12 PM

Exactly. Isn't that like a 5 year old human going bald when you compare the aging differences?
Also, we've only got another 8 strips (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0732.html) left before Durkons entry papers become invalid

Faldrath
2010-10-25, 06:22 PM
Regarding the Elf ambassador, his robes look exactly like V's, only a different color. So it's possible that he's just from a different mage order/school, someone that doesn't like V's order/school by default. Then again, the green hair does suggest something to do with V's former mate (even though his hair is a darker green, check 638 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0638.html), for instance).

JSSheridan
2010-10-25, 06:52 PM
Thanks Giant!

There's no such thing as gravity. The earth sucks.

Fargazer
2010-10-25, 07:14 PM
Haly is back... With a slight change. Great comic.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-25, 07:29 PM
Does Haley wear a scrunchie? I'm just wondering how her hair is kept in a ponytail. It is a closed loop of some kind, right? In which case, how did she funnel like 20 feet of that much hair through it?

KoboldRevenge
2010-10-25, 07:31 PM
Does Haley wear a scrunchie? I'm just wondering how her hair is kept in a ponytail. It is a closed loop of some kind, right? In which case, how did she funnel like 20 feet of that much hair through it?

A wizard did it. :D Great comic!

mucat
2010-10-25, 07:32 PM

She didn't, Doc. She used scissors.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-25, 07:36 PM
She didn't, Doc. She used scissors.

Yeah, after it was in a ponytail.

Lemur Bear
2010-10-25, 07:54 PM
Poor laws of physics...I hope no one interrupts the empress being awesome or they'll become part of her awesomeness after being catabolized thoroughly.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-10-25, 07:58 PM
If she swallowed a zeppelin, could she get Led poisoning?

Dr.Epic
2010-10-25, 07:59 PM
Poor laws of physics...I hope no one interrupts the empress being awesome or they'll become part of her awesomeness after being catabolized thoroughly.

Hey, if a bumble bee can fly, why can the empress?

mucat
2010-10-25, 08:14 PM
Hey, if a bumble bee can fly, why can the empress?

Because she's larger than a bumblebee.

If you're interested in the actual physics of size scaling, we could start a thread on the Square-Cube Law, rather than derail this one...

Sijo
2010-10-25, 08:28 PM
Of all the jokes this time, the only one I even began to find witty was the one about "tearing yourselves away from yourselves".

Maybe I am getting tired of OOTS... :smallfrown:

PS. I hope that Elf Ambassador doesn't turn out to be V's Mate. Now is not the time indeed.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-25, 08:34 PM
PS. I hope that Elf Ambassador doesn't turn out to be V's Mate. Now is not the time indeed.

Because that elf looked nothing like them?:smallconfused:

KillItWithFire
2010-10-25, 08:48 PM
and of course a baker suddenly recieved diplomatic training and became an ambassador, those guys don't just take trips for fun ya know, they actually have to do stuff. Plus the hair is the wrong shade of green, and whose watching the children if that's V's mate?

Because she's larger than a bumblebee

I think Dr. Epic was reffering to the size ratio between the wings and the body, not the size of the creature itself. In which case I see his point, bumblebees are fat little buggers.

Darthteej
2010-10-25, 09:21 PM
What is this? Could this be *GASP* plot advancement?

mucat
2010-10-25, 09:28 PM
I think Dr. Epic was reffering to the size ratio between the wings and the body, not the size of the creature itself. In which case I see his point, bumblebees are fat little buggers.

I know. I was just saying that if you take a body design that works for a small creature, and scale it up to a larger one, then it won't work anymore. A bumblebee the size of a dragon (or for that matter, a bird the size of a dragon) couldn't fly.

Of course, in a D&D universe, dragons, inch-tall humanoids, and pony-sized ants all seem to function just fine...but hence V's punchline. :smallwink:

LadyFirehawk
2010-10-25, 09:38 PM

Holy crap, that would be the most awesomely subtle pun ever if it turned out that the Queen WAS being slowly poisoned. (Could also further explain why she's a little... slow in the head, too...)

/wildtheories!

Toper
2010-10-25, 09:39 PM

I doubt it's significant. It's probably just a red hair ring.
That, sir, was horrible and perfect and made me laugh more than the actual comic.

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-25, 09:39 PM
Hey, I just realized that Haley's new hairstyle is in the poster, so I was right about some of the more detailed designs from the poster making it into the comic. :smallcool:

Since we haven't seen them in awhile, I'm guessing the slightly more detailed Greenhilt and front of Durkon's shield will make their way in.

Roland Itiative
2010-10-25, 09:49 PM
Hey, I just realized that Haley's new hairstyle is in the poster, so I was right about some of the more detailed designs from the poster making it into the comic. :smallcool:

Since we haven't seen them in awhile, I'm guessing the slightly more detailed Greenhilt and front of Durkon's shield will make their way in.

If this is the case, Haley will have to revert back to her old clothes too :smalltongue:

Tobimaro
2010-10-25, 09:55 PM

I'd give you the Internet, but someone else has claim for that today. So I give to you a whole lotta love.

Oh wait, a black dog grabbed that and took it up the stairway to heaven. If you hurry, you might be able to catch it. :smallbiggrin:

Cerlis
2010-10-25, 10:09 PM
Because she's larger than a bumblebee.

If you're interested in the actual physics of size scaling, we could start a thread on the Square-Cube Law, rather than derail this one...

yes, derail a thread of everyone saying "i wonder what is up with the elf" with a topic brought up by one of the main characters.

its just crazy enough to work.

Ghostwheel
2010-10-25, 10:28 PM

Does anyone know?

Yes some of us do.

Ashiver
2010-10-25, 10:28 PM
I think people are reading too much into that elf glaring at V. Since it wasn't shown it's possible it didn't even happen, I thought Blackwing was just taking a jab at V for his tendency not to keep himself in check.
"Was that guy glaring at you?" reads much different to me than if he had said
"Why was that guy glaring at you?"

herrhauptmann
2010-10-25, 10:45 PM

You obviously don't have a sister. It's oen of those hair tie thingies that looks like a rubberband, but has two plastic beads on it. She's probably got one of these guys http://bagslouisvuitton.com/louis-vuitton-bags/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dfg-300x300.jpg

My sister had the cheap version (plastic beads bigger than a grape)of them growing up. I learned not shoot rubberbands at her after she shot back with a few of those suckers. They hurt.

Ghostwheel
2010-10-25, 11:37 PM
Thor. Smiled. Upon. Ye. :D

I wonder if the hair restoration potion would work on Durkon? Or maybe it would just make his beard extra large :D

Yes, that. Ah, crud.

Arancaytar
2010-10-26, 01:53 AM
"Consider a spherical dragon in a frictionless vacuum."

Vargtass
2010-10-26, 03:38 AM
"Consider a spherical dragon in a frictionless vacuum."

If the title of the strip makes a correct guess, your formulation of the problem will not allow for the necessary and observed buoyancy... frictionless ideal nitrogen atmosphere at normal temperature and standard pressure, on the other hand ...

faustin
2010-10-26, 04:11 AM
According to aerodynamic laws, Sabine or Celia couldnīt fly either. Human/humanoid bodies arenīt suited for that purpose. But majority of fantasy universes have the same respect for physic laws than Spongebob or Phineas and Ferb.

Kareasint
2010-10-26, 05:16 AM
I'd give you the Internet, but someone else has claim for that today. So I give to you a whole lotta love.

Oh wait, a black dog grabbed that and took it up the stairway to heaven. If you hurry, you might be able to catch it. :smallbiggrin:

It must be running to Valhalla.

angroy
2010-10-26, 05:17 AM
So if i get this right, her scalyness can fly, because of the way D&D rules work? Body weight has nothing to do with it? The laws of phisics are irelevant (as usual) :smallwink:.
Personly, my favourite line was Durkons.
:durkon: I've been bald fer forty years. Thor. Smiled. Upon. Ye.
Think I'll make that my signature.

faustin
2010-10-26, 05:27 AM
Better not mention Durkon about the strip in which Elan ALMOST archieve to put Banjo in the northern gods pantheon (Odin loves puppets). His faith would shackle GREATLY.

derfenrirwolv
2010-10-26, 06:58 AM
PolisIOUS (elven ambasador guy) VarsuvIOUS ... any chance elves use the last syllables in place of families, or are there only so many pretentious sounding elven names to go around?

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-26, 07:09 AM
It must be running to Valhalla.

:durkon: : " We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of Thor will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming! "

*rummages for old album*

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-10-26, 08:06 AM
I figured the ambassador's glare was in relation to Vaarsuvius helping free the slaves. I'm not sure how he or she (the ambassador) knows about it, but it would be one of the few times we know Vaarsuvius and Blackwing were not together, since Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy were somewhere else at that point.

Jay R
2010-10-26, 10:43 AM
A. The elven ambassador is glaring at both Elan and Vaarsuvius, so I assume it's not just about V's recent walk on the wild side. S/he's trying to get Tarquin to commit to an alliance, and Tarquin obviously has some plans involving Elan & co. that he's more interested in. Obviously, the Order of the Stick are causing the elf difficulties in ways we will soon learn.

B. People can create fireballs with their minds, Undead skeletons can walk the earth, Durkon can grow to giant size, but people are shocked that a fat dragon can fly? The law of physics aren't off crying alone in the corner, they committed suicide years ago.

(I am reminded of the fans who have no trouble believing that Superman can fly, lift mountains, shoot heat from his eyes and see through walls, but can't accept that he can also disguise himself with glasses.)

In the OOTS universe -- in any D&D universe -- people consider the laws of physics on the same basis that 'toons can escape handcuffs, i.e., only when it's funny.

rewinn
2010-10-26, 11:14 AM
Except he does have a name. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html)

Ah, that's a relief. So it's just Elan being Elan.

Perhaps someone spotted an Elf freeing slaves and suspected the Ambassador ?

warmachine
2010-10-26, 11:37 AM
It is curious that the lizard ambassador wants to speak to the Empress, who is useless. Secondly, although it was tactfully phrased, that Tarquin took no offence at the lizard ambassador demanding to go over his head.

Marnath
2010-10-26, 11:54 AM
It is curious that the lizard ambassador wants to speak to the Empress, who is useless. Secondly, although it was tactfully phrased, that Tarquin took no offence at the lizard ambassador demanding to go over his head.

Why would you take offense if someone wants to talk to your superior officer? :smallconfused:

factotum
2010-10-26, 12:16 PM

Even if the ambassador knew the Empress was useless and that Tarquin was the real power behind the throne (which is no mean certain), he would be extremely foolish to make that obvious when asking for an audience. In addition, he's a lizardman--he would probably feel better talking to a dragon than to some hideous squishy mammal!

Mr. Scaly
2010-10-26, 12:27 PM
All hail the empress! Long live her girthiness!

I swear, every time she shows up she steals the show. Or comic. Whichever, you know what I mean.

rewinn
2010-10-26, 01:03 PM

This Queen *is* easily led.

Since she's a Red dragon, we don't know if her earlier career was influenced by the Blues or if she'll be a key to the development of Metal. But if this Queen's Metal influences are Led instead of Mercury, it may explain why she's singing a Reign Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6QWQS-pRR8) instead of some sort of Bohemian Rhapsody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ&ob=av2n).

correnos
2010-10-26, 03:36 PM

On the subject of hair, Vaarsuvius had his/her old hairstyle in the poster. I wonder of that's a sign...

Asthix
2010-10-26, 03:36 PM
So if i get this right, her scalyness can fly, because of the way D&D rules work? Body weight has nothing to do with it? The laws of phisics are irelevant (as usual) :smallwink:.

The laws of physics are fine IMO. I'm just saying that a dragon is inherently magical. The queen couldn't have gotten as old as she is without gaining some powerful magic, from what I know of D&D dragons. Powerful enough to be able to hold up all that weight despite (or to spite) the laws of physics.

Although the laws of comedy dictate that such magic should be at its breaking point, and so Rich has shown us in this comic the scientifically proven weight limit for (presumably adult) dragon flight that should now be applied to all future rule clarifications regarding dragon flight weight limits in D&D games! Thank you Rich!

hamishspence
2010-10-26, 03:48 PM
Draconic flight normally doesn't require magic though- in the sense that casting an antimagic field does not deprive a dragon of ability to fly.

"Extraordinary" abilities could be deemed a sort of magic that is simply immune to antimagic fields though.

Blackcloak
2010-10-26, 04:51 PM
Now is not the time?
How did V know? She never showed any SIGNS of having any clue who Polozious was...

Blackcloak
2010-10-26, 04:56 PM
Can someone PLEASE draw me an avatar?!?!?

CrimsonAngel
2010-10-26, 05:04 PM
-being awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Blackcloak
2010-10-26, 05:38 PM
I am cool, but I am also very warm!
BWAHAHAHA!

Kaytara
2010-10-26, 06:10 PM
You know, I'm totally baffled by how Haley managed to put on her armour top BEFORE trimming her hair. :smalleek:

KillItWithFire
2010-10-26, 06:44 PM
with great difficulty

Marnath
2010-10-26, 08:09 PM
Can someone PLEASE draw me an avatar?!?!?

Try asking here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159238).

SirGre
2010-10-26, 08:12 PM
Why do I imagine the Empress sounding like Mrs. Puff?

Wierdkid20
2010-10-26, 09:25 PM
Because it make the strip funnier.:smalltongue:

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-26, 10:15 PM
You know, I'm totally baffled by how Haley managed to put on her armour top BEFORE trimming her hair. :smalleek:
Feet first?

Grumpy-Mcfart
2010-10-26, 11:00 PM
great comic, as always.

The Empress IS awesome, if only for her flagrant disdain for the laws of physics (there, there, don't cry, physics it'll be ok)

DoctorJest
2010-10-26, 11:00 PM
I was having flashbacks to the animated movie "The Flight of Dragons", where dragons fly because their digestive systems generate hydrogen gas, thus making them into living dirigibles...

It was a book first (written in 1979, IIRC).

fretgod99
2010-10-26, 11:47 PM
"... if only to give the laws of physics time to cry alone in the corner."

Quite possibly the best single line I've read in this entire comic. Brilliant.

Cerlis
2010-10-27, 12:16 AM
Fact 1: The party is together again (at least close enough to interact with each other)
Fact 2: its generally agreed upon we are reaching the climax of this small story arch
Fact 3: Most of the Order has done illegal things are in otherwise in a position to antagonize the Kingdom if certian facts come to light
Fact 4: Tarquin and Malack have said they are in an area in which rulers are overthrown frequently
Fact 5: Since the Queen is a figurehead Tarquin and Malack are the rulers
Fact 6: Over half the Order of the Stick is here as guests of Tarquin and Malack and some even related
Fact 7: haley's and V's escapades though they went well, there could easily have been witnesses we didnt see
Fact 8: The big dragon figure head is still a dragon, a stupid easily lead one who can get very emotional and violent.
Fact 9: The Lizard ambassador is wishing to speak to The big emotional easily angered dragon who as a figure head, there is no reason to talk to her other than cerimony, anyone with any sense would talk to the rulers (tarquin or Malack) to get anything done.
Fact 10: If Big Red is told that her two advisors' friends and family are rescuing her slaves and think she's fat....**** will go down.

based on Assumed facts 1-9. I think entirely possible 10 could happen and believe that is what the Lizard dude is on about.

The MunchKING
2010-10-27, 02:30 AM
Nothing for sure, but I would guess it has something to do with the black dragon incident. That did take place in elven lands, and the ambassador would be in a position to know when and why an angry ancient dragon attacked their country.

Or for dumping a city of Holier than thous with "liche Bait" on their head in one of their National Parks.

jamroar
2010-10-27, 08:10 AM
I actually have a feeling that the ambassador glaring at V might be a new plot hook, considering that Blackwing knows firsthand about V's divorce and weekend visit to the evil planes. Plus, Blackwing probably knows all of V's former relatives-in-law (I'm fairly sure that he wasn't actually popping in and out of existence, just in and out of awareness), so if it was a family matter Blackwing would know as much as V. It has to be something that isn't personally scandalous (Tarquion is divorced, so he wouldn't care), which means it's either about the black dragon or something new. While it's certainly possible that the karmic backlash of V's familicide spell is about to get her, I think it could be a new plot hook. Either way, I'm intrigued.

Isn't there also the issue of V settling Azure City refugees on unused but technically elven hinterlands without consulting or even informing his government?

faustin
2010-10-27, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Grendus View Post

Maybe the elven ambassador will reveal to the Order (well, only H, Elan and Durkon ) the "Familicide" issue. The faster, the better, specially if we donīt know if IFCCīs plans are related to the Snarl (and surely they are).

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-10-27, 09:35 AM
Cerlis, I would dispute calling Tarquin and Malak the rulers. Tarquin has maintained his position through several different actual rulers specifically by not being the one in charge. Yes, in this particular regime he's pulling a lot of the strings, but if someone has a beef with the Empire, they're going after her Pudginess, the Empress of Blood herself, rather than him. Not being the one in charge is how he manages to have as much power (and lasting power) as he does.

Nilan8888
2010-10-27, 10:20 AM
The party is together again (at least close enough to interact with each other)

I was under the impression that they won't be together until tomorrow. What's about to happen here is the parade: not the gladitorial games. Roy and Belkar won't be in the parade, but will be fighting tomorrow.

Just as a side question: is everyone in agreement that it's Tarquin putting the "Lawful" into this Lawful Evil Empire?

Malack I'm not entirely certain is Evil (I'm kinda hoping not just becuase that would be a bit rote) but I'm figuring the Queen is essentially evil... but she doesn't seem the sort to really care about all the rules of her own Empire. Malack I can't really tell one way or the other. Are all these regulations and paperwork Tarquin's preference then, or is another factor involved?

Arrowstorm122
2010-10-27, 11:01 AM
On the subject of hair, Vaarsuvius had his/her old hairstyle in the poster. I wonder of that's a sign...

i think its just so the Giant dont spoil that she gets another haircut later.

Verduran
2010-10-27, 12:53 PM
So poor Durkon has been bald since 15 :smallfrown:
I wonder if Roy went bald by his own choice :smallconfused:

Marnath
2010-10-27, 01:29 PM
So poor Durkon has been bald since 15 :smallfrown:
I wonder if Roy went bald by his own choice :smallconfused:

I think I remember someone saying last time this came up that one of the prequel books explain it, he was going bald early so he started shaving his head, and then eventually didn't need to anymore.

KillItWithFire
2010-10-27, 02:45 PM
Stress from the blood oath suddenly being dumped on him?

faustin
2010-10-27, 03:14 PM
For the moment, Celia hasnīt any problem with Roy baldness. I donīt remember Hilga complaining about Durkonīs in their brief affair.

Jay R
2010-10-27, 03:49 PM
For the moment, Celia hasnīt any problem with Roy baldness. I donīt remember Hilga complaining about Durkonīs in their brief affair.

Speaking from experience, that's not the major annoyance of baldness, which has very little effect after the lights go out.

The biggest annoyance I have with approaching baldness is sunburn on top of my head. I now know why old men tend to wear hats.

Cerlis
2010-10-27, 05:12 PM
Cerlis, I would dispute calling Tarquin and Malak the rulers. Tarquin has maintained his position through several different actual rulers specifically by not being the one in charge. Yes, in this particular regime he's pulling a lot of the strings, but if someone has a beef with the Empire, they're going after her Pudginess, the Empress of Blood herself, rather than him. Not being the one in charge is how he manages to have as much power (and lasting power) as he does.

Using "rulers" with a grain of salt in the same context as how the Vizier mind controlling the King is the real ruler if not the "Ruler"

In other words, if you have a kingdom in Desert Kingdoms and you are the one that calls the shots, it wont stay that way very well. Unless someone else offscene is calling the shots, its definately Either tarquin or malack or both. Thus they are the ruler if not "Ruler"

and @Nilan: Well i wasnt paying attention thought the big building they where on was the arena. Either way all those plot devices are coming together near collision level and i mean to say that pretty soon the Order will be close. I mean if the queen goes on a rampage then Haley, v,Elan, and durkon are just a jump away at having Roy's back, and Roy and Belkar are just a Ropetoss from being with the others.

enigmatime
2010-10-27, 06:18 PM

*bursts out laughing*

But seriously, can I sig this?

On the topic of the new comic, I thought it was pretty good: Haley has her old hair back, some good, old-fashioned humour, the plot is moving along quite nicely, and abunch of loose ends to tie. I have a feeling the next strip will be action-packedish.

Dilvish
2010-10-27, 07:47 PM

Good strip, though it's almost as if this is a fantasy world where the rules of physics don't apply :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Maybe the Elf Ambassador is V's brother-in-law? :)

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-10-27, 08:42 PM
So "rulers" in the sense that they're pulling the strings, rather than in an official sense. Fair enough.

Prospekt
2010-10-28, 12:06 AM
I seriously doubt there's much of a personal relation with anyone there except with Elan and his dad. Here's the way I see it: every story is allowed one -- exactly one -- far-fetched coincidence. Because the reader could think, "That seems really bloody unlikely..." and you can say, "Of course; that's why I'm telling you this particular story about something remarkable."

I honestly think some of you are looking too deep into this. I mean, think about Lord of the Rings- Aragorn had no relation to Frodo or the other hobbits at all. Not everyone is supposed to be their long lost brother, in-law, or uncle's sister-in-law's cousin's great grandparent's best friend's roommate. I mean, take http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0225.html for example. What if someone assumed the dwarf with the explosives was related to Durkon somehow just because he was a dwarf?

factotum
2010-10-28, 01:49 AM
Stress from the blood oath suddenly being dumped on him?

He was already shaving at that point. Eugene implies in that scene that Roy going bald is a genetic thing, although we know Eugene himself still had hair into middle age at least...

BridgeCity
2010-10-28, 01:51 AM
A few people have said that the Lizardman wanting to talk to the Empress is strange because she is useless and is just a figure head. I just wanted to point out that there is not all that much point in deliberately being the hidden power behind the throne if you let everyone know that that is the case. You usually use a figure head because you want to stay out of the spotlight.

If Malack and tarquin are smart, they will have taken pains to ensure that not many people know they weild the true power. First on my list of people to not share sensitive information with is the ambassadors of other countries, so the Lizardman does not neccesarily know the Empress is useless. It's obvious for us sure, but we have an eye of god perspective here.

cc_kizz
2010-10-28, 02:20 AM

I just have to chime in here and say that maybe Blackwing is just giving Vaarsuvius a hard time. I mean, we didn't see any alleged glaring taking place. And that would fit into how their relationship works.

Mr. Snuggles
2010-10-28, 06:44 AM
I think the elven ambassador is angry with V because he moved the Azurites onto elven territory. Sure, the elves don't live there any more, but I'm sure they still consider it their turf.

And what do you do when you start building a new city? Start quarrying rock and cut down lots of trees for construction materials! I'm sure the elves love that as well.

Either that or the world heard that "the elves" cast a world-changing necromancy. V was in elven lands when it happened. It's probably hard to explain away a giant black dragon corpse.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-28, 07:49 AM
I think I remember someone saying last time this came up that one of the prequel books explain it, he was going bald early so he started shaving his head, and then eventually didn't need to anymore.
There's nothing there about not needing to do it any more; for all we know Roy regularly shaves his head to this day.

It's from OtOoPCs, during the scene shown in panel five of this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0491.html). It's only a brief exchange though:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Eugene.png: So, I see you shaved your head. Figured you'd beat genetics to the punch, eh?
:roy:: Yup.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Eugene.png:It looks good. Makes you look tough, which I guess is important when you beat people up for a living.
:roy:: Do you have something to say to me? Because my Abuse Quota is just about filled up for the day.

BlueWizard
2010-10-28, 03:46 PM
:smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:

correnos
2010-10-28, 04:09 PM
i think its just so the Giant dont spoil that she gets another haircut later.

Though, Giant was fine with spoiling Haley's slightly different ponytail. It's probably nothing.

-being awesome! Brillaint.

Juggling Goth
2010-10-28, 04:49 PM
There's nothing there about not needing to do it any more; for all we know Roy regularly shaves his head to this day.

He says "I shave my head" in the in-character foreword to Don't Split the Party, when he's worrying about the effects of the resurrection spell.

... I didn't have to look that up. I am such a nerd. :smallredface:

Canisius
2010-10-28, 08:15 PM
Has anyone noticed that when Tarquin has his helmet on, he's evil? Shoving Haley out the window, pronouncing doom on Roy & Belkar.. With the exception of the last strip where the lights dimmed? When the helmet is off, he's just an older Elan with an inconvenient alignment.

Haven't played D&D in decades, but I can totally see a helm of power that gets its bonuses from adjusting the wearer's alignment.

Might just be a narrative device by Rich.

Prospekt
2010-10-28, 10:42 PM

Also (should've posted this earlier, but whatever) I seriously doubt a slightly more detailed sword and shield would show up. How does a slightly different hilt design and a little bit of shading around the edge of the shield imply that better ones are about to show up? The only reason I can think that they're more detailed on the poster is exactly that- it's a poster. It's supposed to look somewhat better than the actual webcomic in the first place.

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-28, 10:51 PM
It's supposed to look somewhat better than the actual webcomic in the first place.
The same could have been said about the character designs on the book covers. Then they got used in the actual webcomic.

Also, the hilt has (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0188.html) been redesigned before (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0198.html).

factotum
2010-10-29, 01:55 AM
Has anyone noticed that when Tarquin has his helmet on, he's evil? Shoving Haley out the window, pronouncing doom on Roy & Belkar.. With the exception of the last strip where the lights dimmed?

Right, so you've noticed a correlation here and already found an exception to it yourself? Doesn't seem like your theory is on particularly solid ground here. :smallamused:

faustin
2010-10-29, 03:25 AM
Has anyone noticed that when Tarquin has his helmet on, he's evil? Shoving Haley out the window, pronouncing doom on Roy & Belkar.. With the exception of the last strip where the lights dimmed? When the helmet is off, he's just an older Elan with an inconvenient alignment.

Yup, he suffers the "Dark Helmet Syndrome"
Spaaaacebaaalllll :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Mr. Snuggles
2010-10-29, 07:31 AM
Spaaaacebaaalllll :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
I'm sure the helmet is so that Tarquin can do his "reveal" as many times as possible.

Also when he has his Dark Helmet on, he's intimidating and mean...but when it's off, he's Rick Moranis. Slightly less bumbling, but equally as cruel.

sihnfahl
2010-10-29, 08:36 AM
At least he hasn't gasped like a landed fish, then yank his helmet off, complaining that he "can't breathe in this thing"...

Belsirk
2010-10-29, 01:07 PM

Haven't played D&D in decades, but I can totally see a helm of power that gets its bonuses from adjusting the wearer's alignment.

Could be something like: Act Evil witouth the helmet... Act Very Evil/Badass (with a dramatic view)

After all... a simple non-magical crown is big factor for other vile guy

Necroticplague
2010-10-30, 04:55 PM

I do believe their is an object called a helm of opposite alignment. I noticed he was also wearing it when he got divoriced. It could be that he is Chaotic Good normally (same as son and wife's alignment) but when he puts on the helmet, it reverses it to Lawful Evil.

Kish
2010-10-30, 06:26 PM
I do believe their is an object called a helm of opposite alignment. I noticed he was also wearing it when he got divoriced. It could be that he is Chaotic Good normally (same as son and wife's alignment) but when he puts on the helmet, it reverses it to Lawful Evil.

Right, so you've noticed a correlation here and already found an exception to it yourself? Doesn't seem like your theory is on particularly solid ground here. :smallamused:

Just saying.

Marnath
2010-10-30, 09:49 PM

It only works once, and causes a permanent change. Wouldn't work out for Tarquin.

mucat
2010-10-31, 04:25 PM
I mean, take http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0225.html for example. What if someone assumed the dwarf with the explosives was related to Durkon somehow just because he was a dwarf?
As I recall, a lot of people did speculate just that.

And remember Therkla? She was everyone for a while!

Hithros
2010-10-31, 07:49 PM
Mmh...I'm laughing at the balloon-dragon :D And Durkon's remark on Haley's hair.

DoctorJest
2010-11-01, 09:54 PM

I don't think the "Future Mrs. Tarquin #10", the Pegasus who was slaughtered for the dinner, the Phoenix whose liver was cut out while it was still alive, or the large number of slaves, would agree with that assessment.

Barstro
2010-11-02, 07:50 AM
I don't think the "Future Mrs. Tarquin #10", the Pegasus who was slaughtered for the dinner, the Phoenix whose liver was cut out while it was still alive, or the large number of slaves, would agree with that assessment.

I think that all depends on what "evil" actually is.

1) FMT#X was simply charmed by Tarquin the night before and now has to do the walk of shame. 2) Pegasus is the same as cattle. 3) Phoenix liver is the same as pate, but would be impossible to get if the bird died first. 4) Slavery was an accepted norm for thousands of years.

If #1 is evil, then almost all college campuses are gateways to Hades. Most Hindus view cattle as holy, while the OotS world views a Pegasus as "really good" and magical, yet the USA is not eternally damned for McDonalds (for the burgers, at least). If "torturing" a live animal for food is always evil, then anyone who fishes with bait will be eternally warm; as will anyone who eats seafood (which needs to be alive prior to cooking to lessen the risk of food poisoning). The fact that "all men are created equal" is a concept that isn't even wholly accepted in the nation of that phrase's birth.

Let's assume the helmet causes temporary alignment change and grants leadership bonuses. Nobody would use that helmet to help a good society stay in power (and isn't likely to be used to help an oppressed class gain equal standing through political activism); the helmet would be used to overthrow unstable societies. So, when Tarquin takes off the helmet, he is still in that same society. Since this is the society that he is used to, he doesn't consider it overly evil. After all, the "evil" things previously mentioned all take place at any Surf and Turf restaurant, where holy cattle is sliced up and lobster is boiled alive and served by a waitress earning much less than minimum wage all so that a first-date can "end well" for the man paying.

Perhaps Tarquin saved the land from the previously more oppressive government that used humanoids as raw material instead of just as a labor force. Maybe the arenas used to house fights-to-the-death with vegetable peelers and those battles were hours of torture instead of the quick release from a decent decapitation. That same government might have outlawed the worship of puppets entirely:smallfurious: It's entirely possible that Elan's dad is helping to put the nation on the path to goodness, but he needs the power of the helmet-of-temporary-evil +5 to do that.
:wink:

Scarlet Knight
2010-11-02, 10:24 AM

Perhaps Tarquin saved the land from the previously more oppressive government that used humanoids as raw material instead of just as a labor force. Maybe the arenas used to house fights-to-the-death with vegetable peelers and those battles were hours of torture instead of the quick release from a decent decapitation. That same government might have outlawed the worship of puppets entirely:smallfurious: It's entirely possible that Elan's dad is helping to put the nation on the path to goodness, but he needs the power of the helmet-of-temporary-evil +5 to do that.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -T.Jefferson

The Succubus
2010-11-02, 12:12 PM
And once again, this comic maintains it's cruel tradition of physics abuse. Please, think of the laws.

Barstro
2010-11-02, 12:39 PM
And once again, this comic maintains it's cruel tradition of physics abuse. Please, think of the laws.

Does that mean the Empress is Chaotic?

mucat
2010-11-02, 01:52 PM

1) FMT#X was simply charmed by Tarquin the night before and now has to do the walk of shame.

If #1 is evil, then almost all college campuses are gateways to Hades.
No one said he's evil simply for sleeping with the ambassador. If you see someone calling his treatment of her evil, it's because they assume that he either (a) coerced her into having sex with him in order to save her country, and/or (b) plans to murder her when he gets bored with her. If neither of these are true, then they're just consenting adults enjoying each other's company.

2) Pegasus is the same as cattle.
3) Phoenix liver is the same as pate, but would be impossible to get if the bird died first.

Most Hindus view cattle as holy, while the OotS world views a Pegasus as "really good" and magical, yet the USA is not eternally damned for McDonalds (for the burgers, at least). If "torturing" a live animal for food is always evil, then anyone who fishes with bait will be eternally warm; as will anyone who eats seafood (which needs to be alive prior to cooking to lessen the risk of food poisoning).

The difference is that pegasi and phoenixes both have human or higher intelligence. Killing them for food is murder, and torturing them is...well, torture.

4) Slavery was an accepted norm for thousands of years.
The fact that "all men are created equal" is a concept that isn't even wholly accepted in the nation of that phrase's birth.
OotSland isn't a realistic medieval society; it's a fantasy world where social thought is roughly modern, while technology is not (perhaps because magic fills that gap.) No good-aligned person in the comic has ever condoned slavery, any more than a good-aligned person in the twenty-first century real world would.

There's nothing in the comic to suggest that any of this is true -- in fact, to have it suddenly turn out to be true with no foreshadowing would (probably, depending on how it was pulled off) be poor storytelling -- but even if that's exactly what Tarquin did, it doesn't make him good. Just less evil than his predecessors.

Barstro
2010-11-02, 02:43 PM
No one said he's evil simply for sleeping with the ambassador. If you see someone calling his treatment of her evil, it's because they assume that he either (a) coerced her into having sex with him in order to save her country, and/or (b) plans to murder her when he gets bored with her. If neither of these are true, then they're just consenting adults enjoying each other's company.

$85.00 on Surf and Turf while commenting on how large his salary is would be the same type of coercion.

I find it just as likely that someone else does the murdering when Tarquin contemplates giving up the helmet and settling down, and Tarquin thinks it actually is just "mysterious circumstances".

The difference is that pegasi and phoenixes both have human or higher intelligence. Killing them for food is murder, and torturing them is...well, torture.

That's assuming you consider a certain level of intelligence to be the defining factor between food and "not allowed to be food". I accept your argument, but do not embrace it.

Likewise, if taking the liver from a still living being is the only way to get it, it is just harvesting as opposed to torture (assuming that getting the liver is all right in the first place, an idea you (and most others) are against).

No good-aligned person in the comic has ever condoned slavery, any more than a good-aligned person in the twenty-first century real world would.

Probably (and hopefully) true. But some would argue that worker robots, draft animals, and drafted humans would constitute slavery of one form or another.

I agree that T seems to be evil. I am just pointing out the fact that the actions we call evil were not considered so for a long time. The evil Egyptian gods were really evil, but even the benevolent gods of Egypt did not speak out against slavery (to my knowledge). A growing population considers my diet and footwear to be murder. My church dictates that "two consenting adults" does not make something ok until a guy in a silly hat says puts the adults' hands together and says it's all right.

I simply point out that T could be chaotic good and doing the best he can in the society he finds himself. That same society that Lord Helmet puts him in.

(this post has become too long and off topic. Feel free to refute all that I say, I will not respond. :smalltongue: Chances are that I agree with most of what you say, I am merely playing Takhisis' Advocate)

faustin
2010-11-02, 04:40 PM
For the last time, Tarquin alignment is Lawful Evil, as shown in: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

mucat
2010-11-02, 04:45 PM
For the last time, Tarquin alignment is Lawful Evil, as shown in: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html
While you're perfectly correct on his alignment...come on. "For the last time"? This is the Playground; no issue is ever raised for the last time!

Marnath
2010-11-02, 05:08 PM
While you're perfectly correct on his alignment...come on. "For the last time"? This is the Playground; no issue is ever raised for the last time!

Cue the "Belkar is CN!" fanboys/fangirls, stage right.:smalltongue:

Kareasint
2010-11-02, 06:02 PM
Does that mean the Empress is Chaotic?
Ya think! :smalltongue:

Like Belkar, Red dragons are listed as "always CE." I feel pity for the chair that is about to be sat upon. I hope the empire's engineers have reinforced the structure of that building because you can bet that she is not going to land softly.