PDA

View Full Version : Help with an unusual gish build (DnD 3.5)

realbombchu
2010-10-25, 10:20 AM
Here is what I have so far: Male human wiz 4/ftr 2/spellsword 1/alchemist savant 4/eldritch knight 9. It's effective, with +16 Base Atk and 17th level casting, but it's kind of dull toward the end.

I think I should add 5 levels of Abjurant Champion in place of some of the E-Knight, but I don't have that book, so I don't know if I qualify.

I have a reason for almost every choice I've made so far, but I'll be happy to explain if it looks like I made an odd choice.

realbombchu
2010-10-25, 10:25 AM
For example, I want to use an alchemy blade, alchemical capsules, poisons, and spellvials, so I needed levels in alchemist savant. I chose four levels because I wanted the mixture ability, but I don't need universal potions. Thanks for the help!

The Rabbler
2010-10-25, 10:26 AM
Abjurant Champion, IIRC, requires only the basic gish pre-reqs and some skill points in things that most gishes already have; though I do seem to remember something extra involving abjuration. poster below did it better.

aside from the pre-reqs, abjurant champion is, in most people's opinion, the perfect gish PrC. Full BaB, full casting, and some fun class features. It's always good to sprinkle some abjurant champion onto a gish build.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-10-25, 10:26 AM
Abjurant Champion requires the following:

Base Attack Bonus: +5
Feat: Combat Casting
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 1st level arcane spells, including at least one Abjuration spell.
Special: Must be proficient with at least one Martial Weapon.

Xiander
2010-10-25, 10:27 AM
Abjurant champion is easy to qualify for. Base atack +5 and lvl 1 spellcasting. as far as i remember. Further the class is by far surperior to mage knight exept only being 5 levels long.

Edit: Swordsaged...
Edit again: What exactly does gish stand for? I get it is something with magic and close combat, but i´m curious.

realbombchu
2010-10-25, 10:33 AM
Wow, that's an easy prestige class to get into. At least in this case, I mean. Thanks for the info!

Slightly off my own topic: can spellvials be primed into an alchemy blade? I realize that would just make a weak spell-storing weapon, but I'm curious anyway.

dsmiles
2010-10-25, 10:35 AM
Abjurant champion is easy to qualify for. Base atack +5 and lvl 1 spellcasting. as far as i remember. Further the class is by far surperior to mage knight exept only being 5 levels long.

Edit: Swordsaged...
Edit again: What exactly does gish stand for? I get it is something with magic and close combat, but i´m curious.

I believe that it could stem from the 1e term for the Githyanki fighter/magic-user, called a Gish. I could be wrong, though, it's happened before.

realbombchu
2010-10-25, 10:36 AM
I don't know what gish stands for either. I just gathered the meaning from the context and used it. So I would like to know too. :)

Edit: Got the answer before I posted my question.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-25, 11:01 AM
AFAIK yes, it comes from the 1e term used to refer to githyanki mage/warriors.

As of today it refers mainly to characters who use magic in tandem with melee prowess to become a fearsome opponent, most gishes use their spells to buff themself and the enter the battle. The term has also come to include psionic, divine, and even pact magic characters.

And I third or whatever getting Abjurant Champion, it swift abjuration abilites is just nuts (Oh, do you think your pitiful blur spell will protect you? how about this Quickened Dispel Magic!!!)