PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Druid Animal Companion Choices

Tael
2010-10-25, 10:20 AM
In PF, can a druid choose animal other than those in the table listed as 'Animal Choices'? It says that those are supposed to be starting choices, and that the druid must begin play with one of them, but can a druid change their companion into something non-core or off the list? It's not exactly clear, but I see no reason why not.

dsmiles
2010-10-25, 10:32 AM
In DnD (I don't play pathfinder), there was a Sage Advice column (in Dragon Magazine, [at the time] published by Paizo) that addressed that issue. Long story short, it advised DMs to compare the power level against the 'alternate animal companions' list and make a decision as to what level it should be. I don't see why you couldn't start with an animal that was no better than the ones on the list.

Tavar
2010-10-25, 10:44 AM
In some 3.5 books they do expand the list. I know there's some in the It's x outside series(frostburn, stormwrack, etc), and in the PHB2. I think some monster manuals even expand in the the creature entries. Not sure if this applies to PF, though.

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-25, 11:40 AM
probably not. they generally just want you to stay with those starting choices.

But as always ask you DM. If you can agree that the animal you want is worth -x to your druid level for companion purposes then you're golden.