PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropy question (3.5)

Worlok
2010-10-25, 01:35 PM
The SRD-article on Lycanthropes (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Lycanthrope) reads that "a lycanthrope’s character level is increased by the number of racial Hit Dice the base animal has" - Would that mean that a fighter who is also a werewolf would get 2 levels in fighter out of a wolf's 2 HD? Is it merely a level adjustment? Or does he effectively gain 2 levels in wolf, meaning he adds the two d8 and puts skill points into the skills of a wolf (survival, listen, move silently, spot and hide)?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I didn't find an answer so far...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-25, 01:39 PM
The second, you gain RHD of animal, that is why Lycanthrope is highly regarded as a bad template, unless you get a REALLY good 1 HD animal (phyxnkin from Dragon Magazine is an example)

Kylarra
2010-10-25, 01:39 PM
He has an ecl of RHD+Class levels +LA.

the clumsy bard
2010-10-25, 01:40 PM
not stupid (learning curve for the game afterall)

Let's say you are a 1st level fighter and you are playing a werewolf natural lycanthrope.

your effective character level will be 1 (fighter) + 2(animal hd) + 3 for level adjustment.

Meaning a first level fighter werewolf is ecl = 6

* as said above not the greatest of choices from an optimization point of view

Worlok
2010-10-25, 01:43 PM
I see. It does really not seem all that optimal, but at least now I know how it works. Thank you all. :smallsmile:

the clumsy bard
2010-10-25, 01:43 PM
The second, you gain RHD of animal, that is why Lycanthrope is highly regarded as a bad template, unless you get a REALLY good 1 HD animal (phyxnkin from Dragon Magazine is an example)

Wasn't there also a low level hd dinosaur from one of the later monster manuals that give pounce?

Plus the image of a were-dinosaur is always great as well :)

Coidzor
2010-10-25, 02:09 PM
Wasn't there also a low level hd dinosaur from one of the later monster manuals that give pounce?

Plus the image of a were-dinosaur is always great as well :)

Feshrakers are 4 HD dinos with pounce and poison claws/tail from MM3..

dsmiles
2010-10-25, 02:15 PM
I see. It does really not seem all that optimal, but at least now I know how it works. Thank you all. :smallsmile:

It's not very optimal at all, once you get the gist of it. Lots of fun, though. :smallsmile:

Worlok
2010-10-25, 02:19 PM
The fun thing was my primary concern, actually. Hairy man-beast goodness all over random goblins... :smalleek: :smallamused:

Tokuhara
2010-10-25, 02:24 PM
I once played a Half-Ogre Werebear Warblade. Optimal: No. Scary Good: Yea. Huge Greataxe+the MASSIVE Str Bonus+Diamond Mind Maneuvers=Pain unseen by many beatsticks

the clumsy bard
2010-10-25, 02:26 PM
Not that its of any use if you aren't super interested, but here you go:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4398.0

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870770/The_Handbook_of_Lycanthropes

Worlok
2010-10-25, 02:38 PM
Those are great. Thanks, bard. :smallsmile:

Plus: Half-Ogre Werebear Warblade really sounds all kinds of awesome. :smallamused:

However, Were-Dinos being fun is old news (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/Pnoxyx12ZcZ8H5zI78m.html)... :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2010-10-25, 06:34 PM
I once played a Half-Ogre Werebear Warblade. Optimal: No. Scary Good: Yea. Huge Greataxe+the MASSIVE Str Bonus+Diamond Mind Maneuvers=Pain unseen by many beatsticks

Really? Diamond Mind, huh? I probably would have gone with Stone Dragon. Large size, scary CON bonus, reach, and now DAMAGE REDUCTION!! That's some staying power for you. (Admittedly, I haven't really looked into Diamond Mind, so maybe it does some of the same stuff.)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-25, 07:27 PM
Diamond mind is more about MOAR DAMAGE actually, many manevers are damage multipliers, or allow to set up insane damage combos.

For Example, Emerald Razor (level 3 meneuver) is a touch attack, so feel free to power attack for all your BAB and you will still hit (most of the time)

The Gem nightmare maneuvers, are damage multiplies... IIRC the Diamond one quatriplied your damage on a succesful concentration check, and finally there was a combo using moment of alacrity and another maneuver to take three full round attacks in one round (needed serious preparation thought...)

dsmiles
2010-10-25, 07:36 PM
Hrm. Not having ever actually used ToB, could the two styles be combined into one character? Like an uber-powerhouse-meleer?

Prime32
2010-10-25, 07:57 PM
Here's an attempt I made at a more balanced lycanthrope template: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9175.0

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-25, 08:17 PM
You can use maneuvers from any school you have access to; but since the warblade and crusader have less maneuvers, they usually stick to one or at most two disciplines.

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 06:26 AM
You can use maneuvers from any school you have access to; but since the warblade and crusader have less maneuvers, they usually stick to one or at most two disciplines.

You have given me ideas...many ideas. mwahahaMwaHaHaMWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

I'm sorry, was that evil out loud? :smallredface: