PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Minor Magic "flaws?"

Squally!
2010-10-25, 03:06 PM
So, i have been trying to find a chart or list or something of minor magic flaws characters can have.
Basically, looking for random funny/unusual/odd traits characters can be randomly given.

something silly like, 25% when using skill involving speech, dancing lights appear around your head.

is there any kind of list like this somewhere? or am i going to be making up a lot of these? :P

HunterOfJello
2010-10-25, 03:13 PM
There are some things like this for the manifesting of psionic powers. Characters have to make a DC 15 Concentration check to make sure that there isn't some small sign that a power has been manifested. I forgot what all of the possibile side effects were, but some included small flashing lights or the sound of a bell ring once.

Aron Times
2010-10-25, 03:19 PM
Zil, my drow Swiftblade, has restless hands (and possibly legs, too) which might be a side effect of his Ring of Sustenance. It's a trait I just made up for roleplaying which doesn't define his whole character.

This is an important thing to keep in mind. If you are going to roleplay a character's flaw, especially in D&D, try to keep it from being his defining feature. For example, Dr. House has a bad leg and has to walk using a cane, but it doesn't define his entire character. It is mentioned as a plot point every now and then, but most of the time it's just another aspect of his character.

A character with a flaw that prevents him from doing his job (in D&D, as an adventurer) and has no way of overcoming said flaw has no business having that job.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-25, 03:26 PM
25% when using skill involving speech, dancing lights appear around your head.

Some of my characters would pay to be able to do that.

Squally!
2010-10-25, 03:29 PM
Yeah, im not looking for character defining flaws, but the world is literally overflowing with magic, and almost everyone has some sort of magical trait that manifests itself at odd times. i dont want anything character destroying, or character defining, random things like - every few days, player X's pants change color, and they have no control over it.

gorfnab
2010-10-25, 03:39 PM
Here is a listing of actual magic based Flaws.

Dragon Magazine #333
Arcane Fatigue
Arcane Parasites
Methodical Magical Methods

Dragon Magazine #326
Ponderous Spellcaster
Divine Gesture

Dragon Magazine #327
Phantom Spark

Dragon Magazine #324
Arcane Performer

Squally!
2010-10-25, 03:46 PM
Here is a listing of actual magic based Flaws.

Dragon Magazine #333
Arcane Fatigue
Arcane Parasites
Methodical Magical Methods

Dragon Magazine #326
Ponderous Spellcaster
Divine Gesture

Dragon Magazine #327
Phantom Spark

Dragon Magazine #324
Arcane Performer

ouch, those are rough, and real flaws. Im looking for things that wont potentially destroy a character, just add a bit of flavor to it. the PC's will not have a choice in the flaws, and no bonus feats for them, so things like thos actual character flaws are just too hurtful, and possibly character ruining xD

Andion Isurand
2010-10-25, 04:27 PM
Divine Gestures actually isn't that bad for an arcane caster taking a 1 level cloistered cleric dip.

Squally!
2010-10-25, 09:22 PM
allrighty! seeing as i cant find a decent list of these, i am taking any and all suggestions for random magical flaws you think would be funny, without be overly harmful to anyone with them.

things like the 25% chance to have lights appear while you talk, or clothes randomly changing color.