PDA

View Full Version : 4E Need help balancing an encounter

Gryndle
2010-10-25, 06:06 PM
I've played 4E as both player and DM pretty much since it came out and haven't had any real problems so far.

My current gaming group is a 3rd level party (Inspiring Warlord, Brutal Rogue, BattleRager Fighter, Avenger, and Storm Sorcerer).

Two of the players have experience with 1st and 2nd AD&D Dragonlance, and two others are familiar with the novels.

So for nostalgia and Oh Crap! sakes i have set the party up. They have been challenged to undertake a "Test of Worth" that combines elements of the old Knight of the Crown's quest and the Test of High Sorcery.

I have most of this planned out, as much is strait forward, requiring thought, roleplaying and skill challenges and some specific use of rituals on the Sorcerer's part, as well as combat.

Where my brain is breaking down is the way monsters are balanced in 4E and what is required in in the tests.

Specifically- in the Test of High Sorcery, the aspiring mage (Storm Sorcerer here) is required to face a monster that is at least 2 levels higher in solo combat.

Now, where I am getting stuck is should I use a 5th level monster, a 3rd level Elite, 4th level Elite, or even a 5th level Elite?

I keep over thinking it. Obviously, the fight should be memorable and difficult, but I don't want it to be an auto kill either.

holywhippet
2010-10-25, 06:13 PM
Simplest method, if you have time, is to play out both sides of the fight. Roll for both sides and see if one side has a significant advantage or wins more often than they lose.

You could also make it about even - but throw in some extra options for the player if they notice them - like stalactites which they can blast to knock down on their opponent.

Reluctance
2010-10-25, 06:21 PM
"Level plus two" monster is an abstraction that should be changed, especially since 4e is all about team combat. Having one guy do all the fighting will either result in a boring fight (if he trounces the monster quickly), or will make everybody else sit through many rounds of doing nothing. Neither seems like an ideal solution.

Not a dragonlance fan here, so what's the setup for the challenge? Specifically, is it watched over by omnipotent plot-device casters, or are the safeguards more falliable? a L+1 or L+2 solo, weakened for a round or two (say, can only use basic attacks) before it breaks its bindings and requires a full contingent of heroes, should count while keeping everybody involved in the action.

If the test only requires that the character call out and defeat an opponent of L+2 or greater on their own time, minions are easy to pop. Again, why earlier-E rules translate poorly to 4e.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-10-25, 06:40 PM
This is one level 3 character versus one monster? Since characters are designed to be played as a party, your sorc will be at a distinct disadvantage from the start. I would pit him against a level 2 elite: someone designed to stand on their own, but within the "hard but doable" XP reward difficulty for a single level 3 PC.

cdrcjsn
2010-10-25, 07:34 PM
Word of caution here, some of the worst gaming I've played was where the party was split up and everyone was just sitting around with nothing to do while one person was the focus of an encounter.

You need to involve the rest of the group somehow.

Since arcane types are mostly known for being controllers, the test should probably play up that aspect. Have one guy of equal level to fight and lots of minion types to add up to whatever difficulty you want. And if you send in the minions in waves, you can easily scale the encounter by holding some back if the sorcerer is having a difficult time of it.

You can also scatter traps and dangerous terrain in the arena (much better if it's in a maze type dungeon) that can hinder either duelist.

You can let the other PCs control the monsters or trap features so they don't get bored.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-10-25, 10:03 PM
Word of caution here, some of the worst gaming I've played was where the party was split up and everyone was just sitting around with nothing to do while one person was the focus of an encounter.

You need to involve the rest of the group somehow.

Since arcane types are mostly known for being controllers, the test should probably play up that aspect. Have one guy of equal level to fight and lots of minion types to add up to whatever difficulty you want. And if you send in the minions in waves, you can easily scale the encounter by holding some back if the sorcerer is having a difficult time of it.

You can also scatter traps and dangerous terrain in the arena (much better if it's in a maze type dungeon) that can hinder either duelist.

You can let the other PCs control the monsters or trap features so they don't get bored.

This is a good idea, but since the character in question is a sorceror, control isn't what they do best. They're Strikers, so damage is their thing. Thus, one enemy would actually be a good test of sorc-hood.

Safety Sword
2010-10-25, 10:24 PM
I usually make the Test a fight against the party (albeit with the Wizard powered up somewhat).

Of course the party are illusions (and the real party is watching the whole event as the Wizard destroys them all for the sake of personal power). :xykon:

Also makes for very interesting role playing opportunities after the test is over.

Usually makes the party wary of the Wizard... which is very Dragonlance :smallwink:

Kurald Galain
2010-10-26, 04:11 AM
It's easy to check: divide monster HP by how much damage the sorcerer does per turn, assuming he uses a daily, two encounter powers, and an action point in his first two turns (it would be poor tactics not to). And divide sorcerer HP by how much damage the monster does per turn. If the former number is smaller than the latter, then the player will most likely win, and you're all set.