PDA

View Full Version : Blackguard help?

Master Thrower
2010-10-25, 07:10 PM
So im building a 9th blackguard. And i've never played one before. Im stuck between taking 6 paladin/ 3 blackguard. or 2 rouge/ 4 paladin/ 2 shadowbane inquisitor/ 1 blackguard.
Book restrictions.- PH, DMG, CW, CD, CaAV,CA, Draconimicon, libris mortis, planar handbook.

Ideas? suggestions? Blackguard advice?

Fawsto
2010-10-25, 07:30 PM
Cant say I like the BG...

See, having to get so many ranks on Hide and then spending your entire life encased on heavy plate... No good...

Can't you sneak in a Bone Knight (Eberron - Five Nations), it fits the role perfectly and you can get into it either by paladin or by cleric.

Any other way... Mix Paladin and Rogue, unless shadowbane has irrelevant pre-reqs. Then it is a good idea to use it.

teslas
2010-10-25, 11:22 PM
In general, black guards are not up to par with many other prestige classes. You will rely on your DM for your situational strength and possibly house-rules.

Ignore the sneak attack damage. it is so situational it will not matter. Take more levels of fallen paladin or blackguard. Plead to your DM to give you deity-driven items.

A blackgaurd has a multitude of RP options. If you are a fallen paladin going into one you must embrace your alignment. Rely on your god (DM) to place you in situations where you are most useful.

Runestar
2010-10-26, 07:42 AM
Won't you need at least 7 lvs in paladin, since hide is cross-class?

Master Thrower
2010-10-26, 03:42 PM
If not blackguard what should I be then? im going to be the primary melee combatant. Book limitations as stated above. and btw the party is primarily evil

BenTheJester
2010-10-26, 03:46 PM
If not blackguard what should I be then? im going to be the primary melee combatant. Book limitations as stated above. and btw the party is primarily evil

You could ask to get access to paladin variants from UA, they are basically the same as a normal Paladin, but they replace good spells with evil spells and require you to abide to either a Chaotic or Lawful Evil code.