PDA

View Full Version : Summon Monster

LOTRfan
2010-10-25, 10:00 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the monsters on each list chosen? What exactly was the formula to figure out what type of animal should go into which variant of the summon monster (and summon nature's ally) spells?

Drakevarg
2010-10-25, 10:03 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the monsters on each list chosen? What exactly was the formula to figure out what type of animal should go into which variant of the summon monster (and summon nature's ally) spells?

Probably arbitrary.

Personally, I just rewrote the whole thing, basically saying you can just add the Fiendish or Celestial template to any animal on the summon nature's ally list and summon that. (Summon nature's ally containing any animal you could expect to be worth something in a fight.)

Psyren
2010-10-25, 10:13 PM
SM tends toward Outsiders/Magical Beasts, SNA to animals, fey and elementals.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-25, 10:15 PM
Based on CR. Increase level if spells?
I assume it is CR 1 or less for SM 1. Celestial adds 0 CR for low HD creatures.

SM 2 is CR 2 or less: Bombardiar beetle is CR 2.

SM 3 is CR 3 or less. Due to template Bear is CR 3. Dire Weasel CR 3. Hell hound is CR 3.

SM 4: Archon is only CR 2 so that does make me wonder. Due to template: Lion/Dire Wolf CR 4.

SM 5: Template: Dire Ape is 4, Griffon 5, and Bear 5. Archeria Cr 5 (like it is). Hound Archon is CR 4, but it has spells.

Don't need to go further. Pattern is you are your CR unless you have spells, than you might be a higher level spell.

Drakevarg
2010-10-25, 10:17 PM
Based on CR. Increase level if spells?
I assume it is CR 1 or less for SM 1. Celestial adds 0 CR for low HD creatures.

SM 2 is CR 2 or less: Bombardiar beetle is CR 2.

SM 3 is CR 3 or less. Due to template Bear is CR 3. Dire Weasel CR 3. Hell hound is CR 3.

SM 4: Archon is only CR 2 so that does make me wonder. Due to template: Lion/Dire Wolf CR 4.

SM 5: Template: Dire Ape is 4, Griffon 5, and Bear 5. Archeria Cr 5 (like it is). Hound Archon is CR 4, but it has spells.

Don't need to go further. Pattern is you are your CR unless you have spells, than you might be a higher level spell.

Based on my calculations, it's:

I - CR (1/2)
II - CR 1
III - CR 2
IV - CR 4
V - CR 5
VI - CR 7
VII - CR 9
VIII - CR 11
IX - CR 13

There are overlaps, yes, but the original lists were fairly sloppy and inconsistant in their CR levels.

LOTRfan
2010-10-25, 10:19 PM
SM tends toward Outsiders/Magical Beasts, SNA to animals, fey and elementals.

Yes, what I meant to say was how did the challenge ratings of the creatures result in them being placed in the variant of the spell they are in (for example, Fiendish Apes are in Summon Monster III while Celestial Dogs are Summon Monster I, and a Dire Rat is in Summon Nature's Ally I while a Satyr is in summon nature's ally III)?

I should have been more specific. Thank you for the answer, Psycho and Starbuck.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-25, 10:21 PM
Yes, what I meant to say was how did the challenge ratings of the creatures result in them being placed in the variant of the spell they are in (for example, Fiendish Apes are in Summon Monster III while Celestial Dogs are Summon Monster I, and a Dire Rat is in Summon Nature's Ally I while a Satyr is in summon nature's ally III)?

I should have been more specific. Thank you for the answer, psycho.

Easy. Fiendish apes have 4 HD. If you have 3 or more HD, Fienish adds +1 CR.

Riding dogs have 2 HD. So +0 CR.

So psychos list doesn't answer your question. And I disagree. The CR equals it.

LOTRfan
2010-10-25, 10:23 PM
Okay, then. Thank you.

Drakevarg
2010-10-25, 10:27 PM
So psychos list doesn't answer your question. And I disagree. The CR equals it.

Well that much is clearly not the case, or you'd never be able to summon a Hezrou. (If CR = Spell Level, then IX = CR 9. Hezrou = CR 11.)