PDA

View Full Version : Ways to boost wisdom?

WarKitty
2010-10-25, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have a comprehensive list somewhere of ways to boost your wisdom score (or any score in general, for that matter)? I know about using racial bonuses, the appropriate body slot magic item, and tomes, but are there any others floating out there?

Optimator
2010-10-25, 10:23 PM
Owl's Insight is one of the best ways to boost Wisdom.

WarKitty
2010-10-25, 10:46 PM
Owl's Insight is one of the best ways to boost Wisdom.

I was more thinking of things that would boost spell slots.

cdrcjsn
2010-10-25, 10:58 PM
Don't overlook using craft wondrous item and pearls of power.

It doesn't boost spell slots directly, but lets you regain a lot of those resources faster than you normally could. Likewise spellstoring rings and other items.

gallagher
2010-10-25, 10:58 PM

talk to your DM, (s)he might have a homebrewed item that would give you a sacred bonus... or even more appropriately, an insight bonus

WarKitty
2010-10-25, 11:06 PM
Don't overlook using craft wondrous item and pearls of power.

It doesn't boost spell slots directly, but lets you regain a lot of those resources faster than you normally could. Likewise spellstoring rings and other items.

Good point. Trying to maximize my controller abilities with a DM that like to throw a *lot* of encounters at us per day. Since the other option seems to be sitting on the sidelines envying the melee fighters.

talk to your DM, (s)he might have a homebrewed item that would give you a sacred bonus... or even more appropriately, an insight bonus

I have my doubts.

darbythegambler
2010-10-25, 11:56 PM
aging boosts Int, Wis, and Cha, if you're willing to be an oldie with less Str, Dex, and Con

WarKitty
2010-10-26, 07:17 AM
aging boosts Int, Wis, and Cha, if you're willing to be an oldie with less Str, Dex, and Con

Rather impractical on an extant character.

In all seriousness, how do y'all deal with the spellcaster boredom? We have a DM that likes to throw a lot of encounters at us in a day and us casters don't last that long at level 4.

Ernir
2010-10-26, 08:43 AM
In all seriousness, how do y'all deal with the spellcaster boredom? We have a DM that likes to throw a lot of encounters at us in a day and us casters don't last that long at level 4.

If you're the type that gets into melee (most divine casters) - well, get into the melee.

If you aren't, I'd suggest a reserve feat.

Douglas
2010-10-26, 08:51 AM
Make it Persistent, and it does boost spell slots. On the other hand, you'd have to devote a significant chunk of your build just to that, it's not available at level 4 regardless, and if you were already building a Persistent buffer you probably wouldn't be having endurance problems.

Anyway, depending on the type of caster I'd recommend either a weapon or a reserve feat to fall back on in most fights, saving your spells for the tougher battles.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-26, 08:54 AM
Owl's Wisdom doesn't stack with a Periapt of Wisdom. Just get the periapt instead.

Become a Lich! +2 racial bonus to Wis. (Or a Vampire, they have lower LA and better ability score increases... but they're not as immortal as a Lich.)

DrWeird
2010-10-26, 09:29 AM
...Divine Metamagic and Persist on an Owl's Wisdom?

Telonius
2010-10-26, 09:46 AM
EDIT: NM, forgot that was for Arcane, not Divine...

ShriekingDrake
2010-10-26, 09:56 AM
Add the saint template or take the Vow of Poverty feat. These both significant drawbacks, but will improve your wisdom.

WarKitty
2010-10-26, 11:04 AM
It is a divine caster. PF/3.5 druid specifically. Which means for all of having wild shape I still have a lousy strength score, lousy dex, and no hit points to speak of. Druid also means undead templates are right out, as the DM already had a fit over my character not displaying proper druidic hatred of undead. Divine metamagic, however, is also out as I don't have turn attempts. The decent reserve feats I've found all require higher level spell slots than a level 4 character possesses.

Telonius
2010-10-26, 11:17 AM
the DM already had a fit over my character not displaying proper druidic hatred of undead.

You may tell your DM that I think s/he is a silly person. DMs do not and should not control how any PC thinks or feels about anything.

Other than that ... yeah, at level 4 there's not much you can do. Your next feat isn't for another two levels in any case. I'd suggest getting a sling or some other simple ranged weapon so you're not totally useless when you run out of spells. Pick off the weak ones, like a good predator should.

WarKitty
2010-10-26, 11:31 AM
You may tell your DM that I think s/he is a silly person. DMs do not and should not control how any PC thinks or feels about anything.

Other than that ... yeah, at level 4 there's not much you can do. Your next feat isn't for another two levels in any case. I'd suggest getting a sling or some other simple ranged weapon so you're not totally useless when you run out of spells. Pick off the weak ones, like a good predator should.

I do have one. I haven't managed to hit anything yet with it. Like I said, my dex is pretty bad, and we get small clusters of high-level monsters primarily. PF you get feats at every odd level, although my next one is already spoken for.