PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing as martial adept Tome of Battle

totalrk
2010-10-25, 11:35 PM
Hello!

I'm currently trying to create a new level 10 Human character using Swordsage/Warblade/crusader class to a D&d session, so that he could enter Master of Nine at 10th level.Though,I have a few questions regarding multiclassing through the various martial adepts classes:

1st - Do I have to track seperately all the maneuvers attained by each class?

2nd - Let's say, I get a maneuver known from a level in master of Nine that both Crusader and Warblade can have,but I choose to add it to the Crusader progression.Can I use the Warblade recovery method ,or only the recovery method of the class I added the maneuver to?

3rd - Supposing the answer to the 1st question turns out as a 'yes', do I have to,each time ready the maneuvers for each of the 3 classes?Since I've heard you can't learn the same maneuver twice as well as readying it,do I have to take that into account when learning and readying the maneuvers?
What if, I take the Crusader levels last before entering to Mo9 and I can't choose more maneuvers because they were already in the warblade progression?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Raging Gene Ray
2010-10-25, 11:56 PM

Yes.

2nd - Let's say, I get a maneuver known from a level in master of Nine that both Crusader and Warblade can have,but I choose to add it to the Crusader progression.Can I use the Warblade recovery method ,or only the recovery method of the class I added the maneuver to?

You can use any recovery method you want IF your IL is high enough as a Warblade (Warblade levels + ToB Prestige Class levels + 0.5*All other levels rounded down).

3rd - Supposing the answer to the 1st question turns out as a 'yes', do I have to,each time ready the maneuvers for each of the 3 classes?Since I've heard you can't learn the same maneuver twice as well as readying it,do I have to take that into account when learning and readying the maneuvers?
What if, I take the Crusader levels last before entering to Mo9 and I can't choose more maneuvers because they were already in the warblade progression?

I'm not sure what you're asking. When you learn a maneuver as a MoN, you choose which class you learn it as (Warblade, Swordsage, Crusader) and prepare maneuvers for all three of those classes. For the class you decided to give your MoN maneuver to, you use the class's recovery method.

As for learning the same maneuver twice as a different class, I've never heard of that rule. Crusader and Warblade both have a nice selection, so you shouldn't be running out of maneuver to take, though.

Zaydos
2010-10-26, 12:09 AM
Hello!

I'm currently trying to create a new level 10 Human character using Swordsage/Warblade/crusader class to a D&d session, so that he could enter Master of Nine at 10th level.Though,I have a few questions regarding multiclassing through the various martial adepts classes:

Yes.

When you learn a maneuver as a Mo9 you choose which class to learn it as; if you choose to learn it as a crusader it adds to your crusader maneuvers known and readied and you use your crusader maneuver recovery for it.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Not sure exactly what you're asking here. Yes you can't know Mountain Hammer from two classes, or at least that seems the prevalent opinion, but you could learn it as a warblade and use it as a prerequisite for crusader. I'm guessing this is something like Warblade X/Swordsage Y/Crusader 1 at Lv 9; in which case you'd learn 5 maneuvers level 3 or lower as a crusader. If you already knew every Lv 1 to 3 White Raven and Stone Dragon Maneuver as a Warblade/Swordsage you'd be forced to select the 5 new ones all from Devoted Spirit; of which there would be 7 available so unless you took Martial Study 3 times already you'd be able to learn all 5 maneuvers. Not sure what would happen if you couldn't.

Runestar
2010-10-26, 07:39 AM

That is actually subject to much debate. Myself, I would allow the same maneuver to be taken multiple times (once per class), so a warblade/swordsage/crusader could learn say, stone bones thrice.

Only the class you applied it to, IMO.

Ideally, yes. It won't matter for purposes of qualifying for prcs/higher lv maneuvers, but would for recharging mechanics. So you know which are refreshed every 3rd round etc.

totalrk
2010-10-26, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the help!I'm feeling more enlightened now!:smallredface:

Just one more question:

Let's suppose I'll have a build like this: Swordsage 1/Warblade 1/Crusader 1/Shadow Ninja 5/Crusader 1/Mo9 1

When I take the first level in Mo9 ,if I choose to add the 2 maneuvers known to the warblade progression,do I have to choose the 2 maneuvers known taking into account the actual warblade IL level?
If so,at 10th lvl my warblade IL is 10 ,following the table on ToB I get to choose two 5th level maneuvers to learn from and,since I'm at Mo9 I can choose a maneuver from any discipline and add it to the warblade progression.Is this correct?
Also,each time I learn 2 new maneuvers from Mo9,must I add them to the same martial progression or can I, let's say,add one maneuver to the swordsage progression and the other to the warblade progression?

Keld Denar
2010-10-26, 10:28 AM
Just one more question:
This turned into more than one question, but we'll forgive you...THIS TIME!!!!:smallcool:

Let's suppose I'll have a build like this: Swordsage 1/Warblade 1/Crusader 1/Shadow Ninja 5/Crusader 1/Mo9 1
Good so far.

When I take the first level in Mo9 ,if I choose to add the 2 maneuvers known to the warblade progression,do I have to choose the 2 maneuvers known taking into account the actual warblade IL level?
Yes. If you add manevuers to a class, that class' IL must be high enough to learn the maneuver. If you have a Swordsage IL of 17 but a Warblade IL of 3, you couldn't learn Mountain Tombstone Strike (SD9) as a Warblade, for example.

If so,at 10th lvl my warblade IL is 10 ,following the table on ToB I get to choose two 5th level maneuvers to learn from and,since I'm at Mo9 I can choose a maneuver from any discipline and add it to the warblade progression.Is this correct?
Well, at ECL10, your Warblade IL would actually only be 8. 1 for the Warblade level, .5 for the Swordsage level, 1 for the 2 Crusader levels, 5 for SSN, and 1 for Mo9. 1 + .5 + 1 + 5 + 1 = 8.5, round down to 8. You could learn any 4th level or lower manevuer on your Warblade chassis. Otherwise, your statement is correct. You can add Swordsage only manevuers (like Desert Wind or Shadow Hand) to your Warblade list with Master of 9, assuming you met the prereqs (among any of your classes) and had the IL (with Warblade).

Also,each time I learn 2 new maneuvers from Mo9,must I add them to the same martial progression or can I, let's say,add one maneuver to the swordsage progression and the other to the warblade progression?
Nothing says you have to, but nothing says you can. Its undefined. It doesn't really break anything to do it, and it doesn't needlessly restrict you if you don't. Its not really covered, so ask your DM.

totalrk
2010-10-26, 10:57 AM
Choosing maneuvers and following the above IL progression I ran into a strange situation.If I choose to learn all the Stone Dragon and White Raven maneuvers with the Swordsage and Warblade levels,the Crusader will only have available devoted spirit to learn from,since you can't learn the same maneuver twice.
So,does this mean he can only learn 2 new maneuvers from the available 5 he could learn at 1st level and readies 2 maneuvers,which would get his maneuvers all refreshed each turn?

Keld Denar
2010-10-26, 10:59 AM
Yes....there is actually a handbook around optimizing this fact on the Brilliant Gameologists min/max forum. Having White Raven Hammer available EVERY turn is pretty brutal for perma-stunlock.

totalrk
2010-10-28, 11:05 PM
Two more questions:

Let's say my build is 1 Swordsage/5 Warblade/1 Crusader/3 Master of Nine
My Initiator levels are: Crusader 7,Swordsage 7,Warblade 9.So, at 3rd level of Mo9 what class' Initiator level do I take into account in order to determine the highest level maneuvers known?

When a take a certain maneuver like Burning Blade from the Desert Wind discipline with Master of Nine and it tells me to add my initiator level to damage,which class do I use to choose my Initiator level from if I'm multiclassed?

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 11:18 PM
You have to have an IL high enough with the class you are putting the maneuver into. So if you are adding a manevuer to your Warblade set, you can pick a 5th level or lower, but you couldn't add a 5th level manevuer to your Swordsage or Crusader sets, since they can only learn 4th level or lower manevuers.

Mo9 lets you pick any manevuer from any school (as long as you meet the prereqs) and add it to any progression. That means you could learn something like Inferno Blade (normally a Swordsage manevuer) as a Warblade.

When you are trying to determine the IL of a manevuer (like Burning Blade, or...any of the White Raven charging manevuers), you use the IL of the class you know it as. So if you initiate Burning Blade as a Warblade (IL9 in your example), you would add 9 damage. If you learned it as a Swordsage, you'd only add 7.

Everything stays seperate, except when you are adding up how many manevuers of each discipline you know with regards to meeting prereqs of manevuers.

totalrk
2010-11-01, 11:01 AM
Another question: when in a maneuver says something like "When you use this strike, make a single melee attack..." does that mean if I'm a 10th level character and I have two attacks and the maneuver is a standard action, I only get to make one attack if I use the maneuver?

Reynard
2010-11-01, 11:02 AM
Another question: when in a maneuver says something like "When you use this strike, make a single melee attack..." does that mean if I'm a 10th level character and I have two attacks and the maneuver is a standard action, I only get to make one attack if I use the maneuver?

Yep. You don't get iterative attacks when you use a maneuver.