PDA

View Full Version : Where to next? (Psionic-Pyro Build)

Shyftir
2010-10-26, 01:06 AM
Okay, so I've got this character that I really love and I have him planned out to level 10, but after that I'm not sure what to do. without further adu, the current build.

Race: Maenad
Monk 1: I've taken PHB2's decisive strike instead of flurry of blows because unlike flurry of blows it doesn't specify that it's not usable in armor. I picked Improved Grapple over Stunning Fist.

The character was kicked out of his monastery for being to chaotic. (Something to do with setting his old clothes on fire just to watch them burn.)

Psychic Warrior 4: I'm wearing a mithril chain-shirt and wielding a +1 DeepCrystal glaive (for teh reach) as my main weapon. I've taken Combat Manifesting, Maenad Fury, Psionic Fist and Speed of Thought as feats so far.

I'm going to go into PryoKineticist from here. I only plan on taking 5 levels of Pyro. Obviously the hand of fire and weapon of fire Pyro abilities are the major reason for the build. Also my DM has agreed that if I grapple an enemy while under nimbus I'll get the extra damage. (hence Improved Grapple)

What I want to know is what do I go to next? I could continue to increase as a Pyro. Or go back to Psychic Warrior, but what I really want to do is find a good monk and/or psionic prestige class.

My DM has disallowed ToB, and is likely not going to support homebrew. Most WotC stuff should be okay. Any suggestions?

(Current Psionic powers are: 1st: Expansion; Prescience, Offensive; Force Screen 2nd: Animal Affinity)

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 06:35 AM
I like Elocator. It's my favorite Psionic PrC. Lots of nifty abilities, but mostly for the hit-and-run type.

Coidzor
2010-10-26, 06:38 AM
You could grab one level of Pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) (the sonic variant (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) is recommended) to get the touch attack whip.

alternate energy type variants might be of interest to you as well.

Amphetryon
2010-10-26, 06:51 AM
Frostburn's Cryokineticist might be worth a look. You'd get a complimentary damage source to improve your range of affected enemies.

Ask your DM how the Pyrokineticist's Fire Lash hits, whether melee (like a 3.5 whip) or ranged (like a 3.0 whip). RAW, it's ranged, but that could well be perceived as a holdover from its origins in the 3.0 Psionics Handbook.

Shyftir
2010-10-26, 10:26 PM
The Cryo thing would be mechanically a good choice but I'm honestly playing the character as an actual pyromaniac.

Elocater would be a pretty large feat tax, to pick up the dodge, mobility etc. line.

And I'll ask my DM about the ranged/melee thing. I've got a bit of time to make decisions, as leveling is not exactly rushed in this group.

Kylarra
2010-10-26, 10:30 PM
Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) might be worthwhile if you want to give up PsyWar's feat progression for improved BAB.

The Rabbler
2010-10-26, 10:35 PM
another psionic melee favorite is the Ghostbreaker from the Swords and Sorcery book: Hyperconscious. It's an easy entry, 5 level PrC that gives turning (yay for domain feats!), full BaB, and some other goodies. The rest of Hyperconscious is about a dream-world, but if you ignore those parts, it becomes a fairly interesting book.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-26, 10:36 PM
Consider refluffing cryo to go with pyro better, if the DM is amenable to such things.

Played a pyrokinesist/other stuff to epic levels several years back. Was a fun character, but it's hard to make a whip focused character good, especially given how common DR and fire resist is at higher levels.

dgnslyr
2010-10-26, 10:53 PM
Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) might be worthwhile if you want to give up PsyWar's feat progression for improved BAB.

My favorite things about Slayer are all the "useless" class features. :smallwink:

Shyftir
2010-10-27, 01:17 AM
Well, if this campaign goes like any of my DMs other campaigns, it might be good to be prepared to face off against Thoon in all its horrifyingly awesome glory...

I'd like to progress my monk unarmed attack damage, but without still mind I don't qualify for like... anything that does that.

Also is there anyway for me to make a non-monk special weapon count as one?

Coidzor
2010-10-27, 01:59 AM
There's a couple of feats that allow things like long swords to be flurry-able.

I believe the longsword one in particular is Eberronian.

Tashalatora I believe does progress unarmed strike with your psychic warrior levels, with only the prereq feat of monastic training.

Psyren
2010-10-27, 07:41 AM
Played a pyrokinesist/other stuff to epic levels several years back. Was a fun character, but it's hard to make a whip focused character good, especially given how common DR and fire resist is at higher levels.

Interestingly, their Heat Death ability doesn't specify an element unless the target makes the fort save. In addition, there's no set cooldown - you can spam it as quickly as you can regain your focus and full attack until they fail a save and die horribly.

I would enter Pyro via Wilder instead of Psywar; you don't need weapon proficiencies, you learn powers much faster, same BAB and you have Cha synergy. Surging Euphoria and Elude Touch will give you nice toys for melee.