PDA

View Full Version : RPG Dictionary of Spelling

Kensen
2010-10-26, 02:57 AM
The purpose of this thread is to compile a dictionary of spelling mistakes that come up in RPG discussions, and suggested corrections. All Playgrounders are welcome to submit entries.

The suggested format for an entry is as follows:

[Misspelled word]: [Meaning of the word, if any]
[Correct spelling of the word]: [Meaning of the word]

I'll give three examples, my favorites. :smallsmile:

Rouge: French for "red"; in English, a cosmetic used to color the cheeks.
Rogue: A character class in various RPGs; a dishonest or mischievous person.

Solder: An alloy used to join metallic surfaces.
Soldier: A member of armed forces.

Coup de gras: French, lit. "blow of fat", cf. Mardi Gras, lit. "Fat Tuesday".
Coup de grace: From French "coup de grāce", "death blow" or lit. "blow of mercy".

Xefas
2010-10-26, 03:43 AM
Got this one quite a bit after the Tome of Battle came out.

Marital Adept: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's someone who is particularly proficient at marriage.
Martial Adept: A classification of Dungeon and Dragons character classes that use a system of "Martial Maneuvers".

I'm not sure if this is covered by the premise of the thread, but I hear these two semantic errors in my own RPG group, around the local gaming stores I frequent, and in many facets of my life, and so I feel they bear mentioning.

What you say:
Literally: Objectively, without exaggeration or inaccuracy
What you mean:
Metaphorically: A figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance

i.e. "The pain was literally unbearable" No, the pain is metaphorically unbearable. You are bearing the pain, therefore it is bearable. You are relating bearable pain to unbearable pain to emphasize how painful it is.

What you say:
Abuse: To use improperly or in an unintended manner
What you mean:
Use: To employ something for its intended purpose

i.e. "I can abuse those Perfect Defense Charms to not take any damage until my essence runs out!" No, you're using those Perfect Defense Charms. They are entirely intended to be used in the manner you are using them, towards an end that they were intended to be used towards. The game is functionally entirely as it was designed to do. There is absolutely nothing being abused here.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-26, 04:10 AM
And, of course,

Ensure: to take care that something will turn out all right
Assure: to tell somebody that something will turn out all right
Insure: to promise someone money if something does not turn out all right

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 04:25 AM
And, of course,

Ensure: to take care that something will turn out all right

Also: a nutritional drink for us old guys. :smalltongue:

Kensen
2010-10-26, 04:38 AM
Got this one quite a bit after the Tome of Battle came out.

Marital Adept: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's someone who is particularly proficient at marriage.
Martial Adept: A classification of Dungeon and Dragons character classes that use a system of "Martial Maneuvers".

I'm not sure if this is covered by the premise of the thread, but I hear these two semantic errors in my own RPG group, around the local gaming stores I frequent, and in many facets of my life, and so I feel they bear mentioning.

A Marital Adept practices marital arts (which involve marital stances and marital maneuvers), of course. :smallbiggrin: To answer your question, I'm primarily looking for spelling mistakes peculiar to RPG discussions (such as misspelled class/profession names, weapons, maneuvers, spells and so forth), but I don't mind the more general ones. Bonus points to you if the misspelled word means something funny (like rouge, coup de gras or marital adept). :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-10-26, 04:46 AM
Can I include pronunciation as well?

Escheron: Apparently a place related to a certain dutch painter. Perhaps an outer plane of strange perspective and warped geometry.
Acheron: In D&D an outer plane between lawful evil and lawful neutral, and a plane of constant warfare. In mythology, one of the five rivers of the Greek Underworld, Hades.

Rixx
2010-10-26, 04:49 AM
Swordsage: A late-release player class for the third edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Only use of the phrase "swordsage" in the history of the English language.
Ninja: One (typically a martial artist, warrior, or assassin) who practices Ninjutsu, literally "the art of invisibility" - often used to refer to one who acts quickly and stealthily.

Eldan
2010-10-26, 04:50 AM
You realize that this use of Swordsage is a joke, alluding to the fact that the Ninja class in D&D is pretty bad at it's intended job, which the swordsage does a lot better?

Rixx
2010-10-26, 04:52 AM
I am aware.

Yora
2010-10-26, 06:30 AM
Horde: A large group of unorganizes soldiers or monsters.
Hoard: A big pile of gold and treasures, often with a dragon on top.

Project_Mayhem
2010-10-26, 06:57 AM
Tome: A book.
Tomb: A place where dead people are buried.

This is surprisingly common

Kurald Galain
2010-10-26, 07:19 AM
Also,

Xlyon: somebody of consequence
Xykon: an evil lich sorcerer who will kill you dead for using the above.

Eldan
2010-10-26, 07:21 AM
Add to that:
Xylon: The Greek word for "wood"
Cyclone: a large-scale circular movement of air.
Zyklon: German spelling of "Cyclone".

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 07:29 AM
Can I include pronunciation as well?

Escheron: Apparently a place related to a certain dutch painter. Perhaps an outer plane of strange perspective and warped geometry.

I think I'd like to go there. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-10-26, 07:37 AM
i.e. "The pain was literally unbearable" No, the pain is metaphorically unbearable. You are bearing the pain, therefore it is bearable. You are relating bearable pain to unbearable pain to emphasize how painful it is."I am literally speechless" is now a bit of a meme among us lot, after witnessing its use by an Australian Idol judge.

Eldan
2010-10-26, 07:39 AM
Well, it is metaphorically hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2010-10-26, 08:52 AM
Court Martial: A military court that determines guilt and punishment in cases of violation of military law.
Court Marshall: A government official in charge of managing a royal court in medieval central europe.

Greenish
2010-10-26, 10:15 AM
Sheild: a surname.
Shield: a broad piece of metal or another suitable material, held by straps or a handle attached on one side, used as a protection against blows or missiles.

Kobald: a name for pyrites of copper-nickel-cobalt-iron give by German miners of the 15th century.
Kobold: a familiar spirit that haunts houses in Germanic mythology, also, a D&D monster.

ShriekingDrake
2010-10-26, 10:20 AM
Penultimate means "next to last" not "amazing," "the best," or something similar. So the "penultimate experience" might be wonderful, say, if one were to die during a romantic interlude; in D&D it's much more likely to be the fist of an ogre, a fireball, or a big rock.

grarrrg
2010-10-26, 10:28 AM
Horde: A large group of unorganizes soldiers or monsters.
Hoard: A big pile of gold and treasures, often with a dragon on top.

Don't forget
Whorde: A large group of women of ill-repute.

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 10:54 AM
Penultimate means "next to last" not "amazing," "the best," or something similar. So the "penultimate experience" might be wonderful, say, if one were to die during a romantic interlude; in D&D it's much more likely to be the fist of an ogre, a fireball, or a big rock.

Penultima. I remember those modules for NWN. Loads of fun.

Valameer
2010-10-26, 11:09 AM
Before "rouge" there was this:

Thief: A stealthy sneak that commits theft.
Theif: A crimenul guy who dun't spel so gud.

Why is this class so plagued by poor spelling?

Starbuck_II
2010-10-26, 11:19 AM
Alot: It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug

A lot: a big number/multitude of somethng.

Project_Mayhem
2010-10-26, 11:21 AM
Rich Burlew: Acclaimed webcomic author
Rick Burlew: Noone. Why do people make this mistake?

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 11:25 AM
Alot: It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug

You mean this?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TRIo4br3I/AAAAAAAACv4/Zh7_GcMlRKo/s1600/ALOT.png
:smalleek:

senrath
2010-10-26, 11:27 AM
You mean this?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TRIo4br3I/AAAAAAAACv4/Zh7_GcMlRKo/s1600/ALOT.png
:smalleek:

Yup, he means that.

thompur
2010-10-26, 11:28 AM
Then: soon after that : next in order of time

Than: used as a function word to indicate the second member or the member taken as the point of departure in a comparison expressive of inequality ; used with comparative adjectives and comparative adverbs <older than I am> <easier said than done>

Not strictly RPG but I've seen them used interchangably too much on these forums. It's a pet peeve.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-10-26, 11:55 AM
Effect: Noun. Usually used to mean the result of an action.

Affect: Verb. To make something different from what it was before.

Extreme pet peeve. Like really. I can manage most other forms of bad grammar, but if I'm in the kitchen, using a large, sharp knife, I wouldn't come up to me and talk about the 'affect' of your actions.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-26, 12:09 PM

Extreme pet peeve. Like really. I can manage most other forms of bad grammar, but if I'm in the kitchen, using a large, sharp knife, I wouldn't come up to me and talk about the 'affect' of your actions.

Would you affect or effect them?

Zaydos
2010-10-26, 12:14 PM

3.5 has actually been the main reason I know the difference between them. So many creatures can't be affected by mind-affecting effects; which makes enchantment so ineffective against said creatures.

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 12:14 PM
Yup, he means that.

That thing is actually made of awesome. I'm going to stat it up for 4e. Unless it's been done already?

Eldan
2010-10-26, 01:53 PM
Kobald: a name for pyrites of copper-nickel-cobalt-iron give by German miners of the 15th century.
Kobold: a familiar spirit that haunts houses in Germanic mythology, also, a D&D monster.

Actually, they have the same root, Cobalt is "Kobold metal". Kobolds also haunted mines, and replaced precious metals with worthless ones.

boj0
2010-10-26, 02:03 PM
Not necessarily a misspelling, but it does make a difference:
Roll player: Someone who plays a character mainly as an application of mechanics and combat aptitude/optimization.
Role player: Someone who plays a character mainly as a story device, who engages in aspects of the game outside of combat.

Stormwind Fallacy: The fallacy that the two above player types are mutually exclusive.