PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Factotum

Dorna
2010-10-26, 10:38 AM
Hey there!
Since my group lacks of a skill monkey, i thought about building a Factotum. We start at level 10.
Well, this class is completely new to my, so.. i'll write down my first ideas and hope to get some good advice. :smallsmile:
I think, Ih should take at least 8 levels of Factotum to get the Cunning Surge Ability.
I'd take Imp. Trip, Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion (Skill Points won't be my problem i guess), Imperious Command (in combination with 'Never Outnumbered').
The character would fight with a guisarm to trip the enemy...

yeah.. that not very much so far.
I'm open to everything.. Class-Combinations, Prestigeclasses, other ways for this class... :smallredface:

Keld Denar
2010-10-26, 10:44 AM
Actually, what you have is pretty darned skippy. You can blow an IP to add your Int to opposed Str checks, like a trip check, and your 3/4 BAB won't get in the way there since trip checks don't involve BAB (unlike disarm or grapple checks).

I'd suggest you pop on some Armor Spikes in the rather unlikely even you CAN'T take a 5' step to swing with your guisarme, and you're pretty well straight.

Thats the joy of the Factotum. Its so versatilte its tough to screw up. Pop on Knowledge Devotion and you are good to go!

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 10:47 AM
Go straight factotum. all feats go to Font of Inspiration (up to your int mod times any way)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606

other than that pick good spells for the limited number you have

RelentlessImp
2010-10-26, 10:49 AM
You have Class Skills: All ever created.

Take ranks in Iaijutsu Focus from Oriental Adventures. Take a good, hard look at that skill and think of the ways it can be used, especially with your Int mod added to it.

Greenish
2010-10-26, 10:51 AM
You have Class Skills: All ever created.Another handy one is Autohypnosis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/skills/autohypnosis.htm).

mucat
2010-10-26, 10:53 AM
If your DM allows it, and if you are trying to optimize, repeated Fonts of Insiration are the most powerful thing out there for a Factotum. They also reek of cheese, and make the character less interesting (though undeniably more powerful) by replacing a whole mess of other feats he could have taken.

Other than that, your build sounds a lot like the factotum I'm playing right now (though shes still at low level, and we use less non-core stuff than you listed.) The DM and I agreed that fonts of inspiration are out of the question, so she uses Power Attack, Expertise, and Improved Trip, along with a couple of regional feats for flavor.

She fights with a guisarme for exactly the reasons you listed, and will probably take Combat Reflexes (because already she's having to pass up tons of possible attacks of opportunity, and decide which is the important one to take). If by then I've decided I like the tripping-with-reach-weapon tactic, then she'll take Weapon Focus (which I think is vastly underrated) and Short Haft (to use a reach weapon in close combat.)

And if the DM ever changes his mind and says "Ya know, I think Fonts of Inspiration are allowed", then I hope I'll have the willpower to say no. :smallsmile:

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 10:54 AM
ohh and Luicid Dreaming, can't forget that one :)

But seriously throw a rank in every skill you ever want to use. That one class ability that i can't recall does the rest.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-26, 10:54 AM
You have Class Skills: All ever created.

Take ranks in Iaijutsu Focus from Oriental Adventures. Take a good, hard look at that skill and think of the ways it can be used, especially with your Int mod added to it.

Now take out a copy of Races of Stone and take a look at the gnomish quickrazor weapon.

Greenish
2010-10-26, 10:55 AM
These may also interest you: Factotum handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0), Fear handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0) and Poison handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0).

Underhanded tactics are lovely, eh?

mucat
2010-10-26, 11:00 AM
If your DM allows it, and if you are trying to optimize, repeated Fonts of Insiration are the most powerful thing out there for a Factotum. They also reek of cheese, and make the character less interesting (though undeniably more powerful) by replacing a whole mess of other feats he could have taken.

Other than that, your build sounds a lot like the factotum I'm playing right now (though shes still at low level, and we use less non-core stuff than you listed.) The DM and I agreed that fonts of inspiration are out of the question, and that Iaijutsu Focus and Autohypnosis are culturally specific skills that she has no way to study (at last until she spends time in the cultures in question.) With these limitations, she's a fun character who pulls her share of the weight both in and out of combat. Without them, I think she would be game-breaking (in out mostly Tier-3 party, anyway.)

She uses Power Attack, Expertise, and Improved Trip, along with a couple of regional feats for flavor, and fights with a guisarme for exactly the reasons you listed. I will probably take Combat Reflexes next (she sees tons of possible attacks of opportunity with all the people tripped and/or having to move through her reach to attack her. But without Combat Reflexes, she has to pass on most of these opportunities and decide which is the important one to take each round). If by then I've decided I like the tripping-with-reach-weapon tactic, then she'll take Weapon Focus (which I think is vastly underrated) and Short Haft (to use a reach weapon in close combat.)

And if the DM ever changes his mind and says "Ya know, I think Fonts of Inspiration are allowed", then I hope I'll have the willpower to say no. :smallsmile:

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 11:01 AM

I've found on my factotum that getting FoI over and over really isn't that over powering at the usual levels of play. It really only gets dumb once you get access to good polymorph spells. (but the game is at it's breaking point then any way)

mucat
2010-10-26, 11:02 AM
Now take out a copy of Races of Stone and take a look at the gnomish quickrazor weapon.

And then close the book gently and walk away. :smallsmile:

An otherwise obscure weapon that's so perfectly suited to a class that every member of that class will end up using it is not good for the game.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-26, 11:04 AM
And then close the book gently and walk away. :smallsmile:

An otherwise obscure weapon that's so perfectly suited to a class that every member of that class will end up using it is not good for the game.

But it is a totally awesome weapon just from a flavour standpoint! :smallfrown:

mucat
2010-10-26, 11:11 AM
I've found on my factotum that getting FoI over and over really isn't that over powering at the usual levels of play.

I would disagree in most cases, though it strongly depends on what other options are in play. Once you've got three or four copies of it (for six or ten Inspiration per encounter respectively), you can simply spam the "+Int to any roll" options on pretty much everything you do. And you don't have to be all that high-level for four Fonts. Hell, if two flaws are allowed, then a human factotum could have that many by level 3.

And once you hit factotum level 8 and get Cunning Surge -- possibly with another Font or two by then as well -- it pretty much becomes a case of "I will stop my turn when I say I stop."

mucat
2010-10-26, 11:12 AM
But it is a totally awesome weapon just from a flavour standpoint! :smallfrown:
It totally is. Until every factotum in the campaign trains in it... :smallwink:

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 11:13 AM
I would disagree in most cases, though it strongly depends on what other options are in play. Once you've got three or four copies of it (for six or ten Inspiration per encounter respectively), you can simply spam the "+Int to any roll" options on pretty much everything you do. And you don't have to be all that high-level for four Fonts. Hell, if two flaws are allowed, then a human factotum could have that many by level 3.

And once you hit factotum level 8 and get Cunning Surge -- possibly with another Font or two by then as well -- it pretty much becomes a case of "I will stop my turn when I say I stop."

oh you were worried about the int+roll thing most worry about the 5 standard actions per turn (and casting shivering touch on each one of them.)

Dorna
2010-10-26, 11:18 AM
I thought, that just taking FoI might get a bit boring.. sound as i'd be bound to a single way of fighting. The whole thing whith the tripping and demoralizing was my play to have some different options infight. :smallfrown:

Have to talk with my dm about the Iaijutsu Focus. Not sure if OA is allowed. Flaws aren't btw

BRC
2010-10-26, 11:22 AM
I thought, that just taking FoI might get a bit boring.. sound as i'd be bound to a single way of fighting. The whole thing whith the tripping and demoralizing was my play to have some different options infight. :smallfrown:

Have to talk with my dm about the Iaijutsu Focus. Not sure if OA is allowed. Flaws aren't btw

Well that's the great thing about the Factotum, you're not bound to a single style of fighting any more than a Wizard is bound to a single spell.

FoI just gets you more inspiration points, letting you use your class features more often. It's perhaps the least limiting feat in the books, because it equally helps your ranged attacks, melee attacks, AC, skills, saving throws, spellcasting, ect.

The only thing it limits you to is "Being a Factotum", which is "Being a little bit of everything".

Factotums are for people who when asked "What type of character are you going to make" respond "Yes please".

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 11:26 AM

oh god look what you guys have gone and done.

The way people use IF on here is not the way it's meant to be used. It was supposed to be for duals and it shouldn't really be allowed any where else.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-26, 11:28 AM
oh god look what you guys have gone and done.

The way people use IF on here is not the way it's meant to be used. It was supposed to be for duals and it shouldn't really be allowed any where else.

Iaijutsu is the art of drawing your weapon and striking quickly. It is not entirely relegated to duels.

OA even talks about how to use it in normal combat.

mucat
2010-10-26, 11:41 AM
oh you were worried about the int+roll thing most worry about the 5 standard actions per turn (and casting shivering touch on each one of them.)

Yeah, that's when it gets really out of hand (hence my second paragraph). But even at lower levels, too many uses per encounter of the +Int powers could sideline most other Tier-3 classes. (Especially if your factotum invests early on in a wand of Fox's Cunning; he could get a partially charged one by level 2, and keep replacing it as needed. If his unaided Int is 18, then in any encounter where he's had enough warning to use the wand beforehand, he's running at +6 to hit, +6 damage, +6 to saves, and +Factotum Level to skills. Unless it's a Dex or Str-based skill; then it's +Int and +Factotum Level.)

If the ranger or paladin standing next to him are going to have a chance to be relevant, there has to be the limitation of running out of Inspiration Points.

Iaijutsu is the art of drawing your weapon and striking quickly. It is not entirely relegated to duels.

OA even talks about how to use it in normal combat.

True...but pair it with a weapon that can be sheathed and drawn with every attack, and a class that rolls Iaijutsu Focus checks at massive bonuses, and you must admit the skill performs in ways the designers never intended!

Again, what I've got in mind as I say these things is Factotum as a solid Tier-3 class. If we're trying to make a Tier-1 martial character, then a Factotum with all the stops pulled out might be perfect. :smallbiggrin:

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 11:46 AM
and thats not even considering the fact that you could always shape change into a mountain giant or somthing and use a giant quick razor

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-26, 12:37 PM
I fashioned a PrC with the Factotum in mind. If interested: Monstrumologist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9510576#post9510576)

Dorna
2010-10-26, 12:40 PM
Ok. My DM ist somehow.. lost. But i don't think OA is allowed.

I have to think a bit about the way I suggested first and the 'I take the same Talent as often as i can'-Thing .. the name is gone for the moment... ;)

Any Gear advices? As a level 10 Character I got ~49k gp to start with.

My stats should be (Roll 4d6 take 3): Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 15

Godskook
2010-10-26, 01:07 PM

That's actually a class myth. Factotums are expressly forbidden in dungeonscape from casting the same spell more than once per day. Its the last sentence of the third paragraph of the ability "Arcane Dilettante", in case anyone needs to look it up.

Keld Denar
2010-10-26, 01:18 PM
Any Gear advices? As a level 10 Character I got ~49k gp to start with.

+1 Adamantine Spellstoring Guisarme - ~11300 g
Boots of Speed with Anklets of Tranlocation (MIC) added - 14100 g
+2 Int hat - 4000 g
+2 Con neck - 4000 g
Armbands of Might - 4100 g (MIC)
Scouts Headband - 3400 g (MIC)
Gloves of Fortunate Striking - 2000 g (MIC)
Third Eye: Clarity - 3000 g (MIC)
Wand of Lesser Vigor - 750 g (SpC)
Wand of Entangle - 750 g
Lesser Revelation Crystal - 1000g (MIC)

That leaves you with ~600 in petty cash for a couple of scrolls that might just save your butt (like Restoration), or a couple of Quall's Feather Tokens. That covers if you get stunned (Third Eye), Grappled (Anklets), someone tries to sunder you (Adamantine weapon), gives you stat boosts (+Int/Con), increases your trip checks (Armbands), 1 per day reroll on clutch attacks (Gloves), and gives you limited True Seeing (Headband) with the option of sharing it with others (Revelation Crystal), as well as a great source of OOC healing (Wand of Lesser Vigor). I think I pretty much covered all the bases.

During your off days, you can charge your Spellstoring weapon with something like Combust or Vampyric Touch, or if you have a drood in your party, Poison is a great filler. If you plan on using Vampyric Touch exclusively, you might consider subbing Spellstoring for Bloodstone (MIC), which is Spellstoring that only works for Vamp Touch, but auto empowers it for free. Its still a +1 equiv like Spellstoring.

mucat
2010-10-26, 01:29 PM
That's actually a class myth. Factotums are expressly forbidden in dungeonscape from casting the same spell more than once per day. Its the last sentence of the third paragraph of the ability "Arcane Dilettante", in case anyone needs to look it up.

I presume he meant "casting" it with a wand. Use Magic Device is, oddly enough, a class spell for the factotum. :smallwink:

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 01:35 PM
I presume he meant "casting" it with a wand. Use Magic Device is, oddly enough, a class spell for the factotum. :smallwink:

I didn't think of that but

OH SNAP!

thx for the backup

Dorna
2010-10-26, 01:38 PM
+2 Int hat - 4000 g
+2 Con neck - 4000 g
Wand of Entangle - 750 g

Nice things! But one Problem I still have is ne AC. 12 might be a bit low :smalleek: Maybe I should buy an armor :smalltongue:

BRC
2010-10-26, 01:40 PM
Nice things! But one Problem I still have is ne AC. 12 might be a bit low :smalleek: Maybe I should buy an armor :smalltongue:

Armor is good. In a few levels, you'll be able to add your Int to AC without spending Inspiration points.

Frosty
2010-10-26, 01:40 PM
Even without magic, the fact that you can have many, many standard actions per round is...overwhelming.

Let's see how many Manyshots you can do per round...

Koury
2010-10-26, 01:42 PM
+2 Int hat - 4000 g
+2 Con neck - 4000 g
Wand of Entangle - 750 g

That leaves you with ~600 in petty cash for a couple of scrolls that might just save your butt (like Restoration), or a couple of Quall's Feather Tokens. That covers if you get stunned (Third Eye), Grappled (Anklets), someone tries to sunder you (Adamantine weapon), gives you stat boosts (+Int/Con), increases your trip checks (Armbands), 1 per day reroll on clutch attacks (Gloves), and gives you limited True Seeing (Headband) with the option of sharing it with others (Revelation Crystal), as well as a great source of OOC healing (Wand of Lesser Vigor). I think I pretty much covered all the bases.

During your off days, you can charge your Spellstoring weapon with something like Combust or Vampyric Touch, or if you have a drood in your party, Poison is a great filler. If you plan on using Vampyric Touch exclusively, you might consider subbing Spellstoring for Bloodstone (MIC), which is Spellstoring that only works for Vamp Touch, but auto empowers it for free. Its still a +1 equiv like Spellstoring.

Technically the Int item and the Scouts Headband are the same item slot, despite you trying to sneak it in on a hat. :smallwink:

Keld Denar
2010-10-26, 01:44 PM
Eh, armor is overrated. You are a Factotum. You are too smart to get hit, and since smart is the new sexy, you are also too sexy to get hit.

Really though, maybe drop off Wand of Entangle and use part of that 600g leftover for a +1 chain shirt. It doesn't even have to be mithril, since it would only be a -1 ACP as is. That'll give you AC17 before you use your factotum abilities to increase it. Not terribly impressive, but you aren't gonna get much more than that without expending some serious resources. You could get to AC 19 with another 3000g (add +1 NA to your Con neck and get a +1 Ring of Protection), but that seems like only a marginal boost. Beyond those, you'll have to sink some serious cash.

Another thing I forgot that you might want. Possibly drop the Gauntlets of Fortunate Striking and get at least a +1 Cloak or Vest of Resistance. Thats a pretty standard item as well. My bad...

Technically the Int item and the Scouts Headband are the same item slot, despite you trying to sneak it in on a hat. :smallwink:

MIC has affinity rules (back of the book, around 213 or so IIRC) that allow you to upgrade items with basic stats (abilities, NA, deflection, resistance, etc) for the delta of the cost, rather than the 1.5x multiplier that the DMG suggests. Everyone needs those basic abilities, why should perfectly nice magic items rot unused just because everyone and their grandmother buys a +6 Con neck?

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 01:49 PM
I notice a disturbing lack of immovable rods in that item list. i know i never leave home without one or two or three.

The Shadowmind
2010-10-26, 01:55 PM
I prefer instant trees to immovable rods. You can get 10 for less than 1 rods, though they aren't reusable.

Dorna
2010-10-26, 02:02 PM
I prefer instant trees to immovable rods. You can get 10 for less than 1 rods, though they aren't reusable.

Might be interesting: 'Woah! :smalleek: Where did this giant tree next to our caste wall came from? Or was it always there? .. never mind'

TurtleKing
2010-10-26, 02:22 PM
The Chameleon is a good prestige class that follows the same principle and feel of the Factotum. However it focuses on a roll per day with ways to change it. You can just google it or find it in the Races of Destiny page 111. You have to be a human or doppleganger to take this prestige class.

Also there a certain feats that let you make rolls on every skill. Able Learner and Jack of All Trades. There is also an elven version of these feats. That feat can also add a +1 to your skills. This mainly for skills that you don't have ranks in. The main premise behind the elven feat is you have lived so long that you have done everything.

Dorna
2010-10-26, 03:47 PM
Ok.. after a bit of shopping (still using the first concept with imp trip and imperious command and still not sure about this):

Armbands of might
Scout's Headband +2 Int
Third Eye Clarity
Amulet of health +2
Belt of priestly might (needed more strength for power attack, 1AC is nice)
Boots of Speed
+1 Adamantite Guisarme
+2 Chainshirt
and 3300gp (Needed for Wands.. and stuff like food :smallredface:)

I'll end up with:
Tons of skills (sweet)
+13 Trip (not bad)
+10/+5 Attack (ok.. thats not really impressive)
and 19 AC

So i guess the tripping, skills, demoralizing and spells might be a nice addition in a combat, but I should let the Barbarian or the Cleric do the Tank-job ;)
Or am I missing something?

Androgeus
2010-10-26, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry to jump back to the second post, but the nitpick in me couldn't let this slide with out being corrected.

You can blow an IP to add your Int to opposed Str check.
You don't spend IP to use Brains over Brawn. Your Int to Str & Dex checks is permanent thing.

Dorna
2010-10-27, 01:00 PM
Hm.. What do you think about dropping Combat Expertise, Imp. Trip and Power Attack (This char can't cempete with a Frenzied Berserker and a cleric with divine metamagic persistent Divine Power anyways ;) ) and take Knowledge Devotion / Imperious Command / 3x FoI?
And what about take 1 or 2 levels Marshal? Motivate Strength and Motivate Care for example?

Edit: Or 1 Level Marshal, 1 Level Fighter? Motivate Strength and Combat Reflexes as Bonus Feat...
-> 3x FoI, Knowledge Devotion, Imperious Command, Combat Reflexes. With a sweeping Guisarme and 16 cha, 20 int, 12 str ans 14 dex I'd end up with +3 (Cha) +5 (Int) +1 (Str) +2 (Armbands of Might) +2 (sweeping) -> +13 Trip
And what I can't trip, I'll intimidate.. Or I could take Jotunbrud instead of Imperious Command and trip everything...