PDA

View Full Version : ArM5 advice

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-26, 11:38 AM
I found a group that is willing to play and let me run an Ars Magica 5th edition game. I've only ran it once before and it was kinda clunky especially with the new group.

Has any one played or ran a long running game of ArM5? and can you give me any advice on it?

house rules. story concepts that work, any thing

Tyrrell
2010-10-27, 05:02 PM
I found a group that is willing to play and let me run an Ars Magica 5th edition game. I've only ran it once before and it was kinda clunky especially with the new group.

Has any one played or ran a long running game of ArM5? and can you give me any advice on it?

house rules. story concepts that work, any thing

I've run it lots I've been in three long term games that lasted dozens of sessions.

The rules are a bit much with regard to magic and advancement but outside of that the only issue you've got is confidence points. It's really a pretty light system with two very very heavy subsystems.

My advice

separate character advancement and figuring out magic rules from actual play sessions. in other words gather folks together to chew the fat, have some pizza, and do down time one week and run the game another week.

get people to accept the long duration stories. Get them thinking years in advance.

Make sure that all of the magi have something that they want to accomplish with their magic one day and let them run towards that. (look at ancient magic or Magi of Hermes for examples)

Go here (http://forum.atlas-games.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=d9f268b61ac5f5d63af8f3015a838c37)
and ask questions