PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Flaming Burst (and others that activate on a crit)

Crow
2010-10-26, 11:40 AM
When attacking crit-immune enemies, does flaming burst activate on a hit that would have been a critical, even though the creature doesn't take any extra weapon damage?

odder
2010-10-26, 11:42 AM
I do not believe so...the description of the effect says that it has to be a successful crit :smallsmile:

Marnath
2010-10-26, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I think that's how it works. I think it even says so in the description for that ability in the DMG.

*edit: read the first part of the weapon section, specifically magic weapons and crits.

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 11:45 AM
I still have players confirm crits when they have burst weapons. On a successful confirmation roll, the burst activates. Whether it's RAW or not, I don't particularly care. If it makes the players happy to roll handfulls of dice, they get to roll handfulls of dice. The extra die of damage won't break the game.

Douglas
2010-10-26, 11:52 AM
Some weapon qualities and some specific weapons have an extra effect on a critical hit. This special effect functions against creatures not subject to critical hits, such as undead, elementals, and constructs. When fighting against such creatures, roll for critical hits as you would against humanoids or any other creature subject to critical hits. On a successful critical roll, apply the special effect, but do not multiply the weapon’s regular damage. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#magicWeaponsandCriticalHits)

So yes, Flaming Burst does work on undead, constructs, and other crit-immune enemies.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-10-26, 11:53 AM
DMG pg 222
Some weapon qualities and some specific weapons have an extra effect on a critical hit. A flaming burst weapon, for example, does extra fire damage on a critical hit. This special effect functions against creatures not subject to critical hits, such as undead, elementals, and constructs. When fighting against such creatures, roll for critical hits as you would against humanoids or any other creature subject to critical hits. On a successful critical roll, apply the special effect, but do not multiply the weapon's regular damage.

So dsmiles has it pretty much spot on.

EDIT: Alas, swordsage'd.

Crow
2010-10-26, 11:57 AM
Thank you much, guys. =)