PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] quick Q about Repelling Sheild spell

bot
2010-10-26, 12:37 PM
Hey,

I couldn't seem to find anything about it, but the spell Repelling Sheild says that if the opponent fails a save after making a melee attack, they are pushed 5ft away - does this mean that a warrior making a full around attack (who only has 5ft reach), and fails his first save, cannot finish the rest of his attacks?

Edit: Copy of the text
text of spell removed.

senrath
2010-10-26, 12:49 PM
First, you should remove the text, since I'm pretty sure it wasn't released under the OGL.

Second, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. If they fail the save on their first attack and cannot reach the target, they have to either attack a different target that they can reach, or just sit there impotently.

Tyger
2010-10-26, 01:12 PM
Seconding the "remove the text asap" as it will get your post deleted.

Yes, if the attacker doesn't have a reach weapon, they can't get you with the rest of his attacks. Note though that if the attacker hasn't used the 5-foot-step yet they would be able to step back toward you with it. That action can be taken in between attacks on a full-attack action.

Douglas
2010-10-26, 01:19 PM
Yes, this spell can disrupt a full attack. A fighter who fails his save partway through a full attack can 5' step back (provided he hasn't moved or 5' stepped yet this round) and continue, spend the rest of his attacks on a different target in reach (provided such a target is available), give up the full attack and move (if the attack was the very first one), or waste the rest of his action.

It's a pretty potent defense against characters that rely on non-reach full attacks. Against characters with reach, however, or who only make single attacks or have high reflex saves, it's nearly useless.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-26, 01:40 PM
Wizard: haha, you got repelled.
Fighter: Quick draw spiked chain, trip, free attack.

bot
2010-10-26, 01:47 PM
ah yes, ok thanks guys for the quick reply!! (text of spell removed, thanks)

And thanks for the hint that 5ft step can be used in middle of full attack, i thought it could only be done after full round or before