PDA

View Full Version : Half-Fey Ancestry

Andry
2010-10-26, 01:36 PM
Due to the death of my Valenar Swift-Hunter to a group of drow in Xendrik which happened because my group failed to support me in melee combat. So with that I have decided to go ranged with a half-fey warlock.

I have my dm onboard as long as I provide a detailed backstory now I need to decide what kind of Fey one of the parents are. I was thinking maybe a Verdant Prince or a nymph. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was also wondering about what feats to take. I was thinking maybe some of the Fey Legacy feats from Complete Mage for a bunch more spell like abilities.

Thanks in advance for any help given

WinWin
2010-10-26, 01:55 PM
Jaebrin (MM5)
Shadar Kai (FF...I think)
Killoren (RotW)

All are fairly human-like fey. They are all playable character races, though Shadar-Kai has too many HD to make a decent caster.

Wild Soul from CM is a fey themed PrC. Could work well with Eldritch Theuge, especially if you are considering the Fey Heritage line of feats. The DR from Fey Skin will stack with the DR from Warlock/ET. The Spell like abilities are complimented by the SLA's from the fey creatures you character could summon.

Not high-op, but thematic. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

the clumsy bard
2010-10-26, 02:07 PM
Most of the fey like feats aren't great optimization wise, bust story line Id say go crazy!

That aside... there are alot of fey to choose from in terms of where your ancestry comes from.

Depends on whether you are coming from the unseelie or seelie court... dark and evil fey or good and nice fey (relatively speaking of course)

there are some base templates as well.

Half fey (FF)
Half Nymph (dragon magazine)
Half satyr (dragon magazine)

There is also the bloodlines from the unearthed arcana

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#fey

Zaydos
2010-10-26, 02:20 PM
Well if you do go Fey Heritage take Fey Power for +1 to CL and save DCs; with your +4 Charisma as a half-fey, and ability focus (eldritch blast) you can get some decent debuffs (the ability to stun a balor about half the time with your eldritch blast).

Ultimately it also needs Spell Penetration/Greater Spell Penetration, though for getting around SR since you can't debuff and use Vitriolic Blast at the same time; which ultimately means it costs 5 of your 7 feats right there which hurts.

Malbordeus
2010-10-26, 04:04 PM
parent? have one of your parents as a ragewalker, weirdly scary creatures. or something pretty normal like a nymph or dryad (the wood jokes are worth it :P)

off the top of my head, the half fey template gives you spellike abilities? it does, and looking at them, they are all useful in a number of situations, so it more than makes up for the LA.

fey feats are actually pretty good. legacy is the best, but equally dont discount presence, power (as your a warlock anyway), and skin. the DR you get from taking all of them is pretty high, and stacks with warlocks existing DR. they only thing that is really ass is that heratige (the one you need to take the rest of the feats) is basicly a dead feat. unless you can convince the DM that as a half-fey, the feats existance is implied and incorporated.

as a warlock - i tend to sugest taking Eldritch Chain, as shooting multiple things in the face works.
Call of the beast would work fluff-wise, even if it isnt great.
Hellspawned grace (Complete mage) is great. it doesnt last long, but as long as you keep renewing it, then permo invis and Hellcat!

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-10-27, 04:02 AM
vaguely reminded entry in my race niche compendium (moved to BG)

Andry
2010-10-27, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the input so far although my dm already nixed the idea of the ragewalker ancestor. I think I will go for the Verdant Prince as the father of my character now I just have to pick a base race to apply the template to. Is there any 0 LA race that adds a bonus to charisma?

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 10:57 AM
If you want to be awsome you should have a Redcap as your father. Take after daddy and dip your hat in the blood of fallen enemies. Could even get your DM to home brew a feat for it.

Otherwise I think Dragon Compendium had some decent few stuff in it, including the Fey Court(seelie and unseelie) templates

There was a 3rd party book i read at one time that had some fey curse feats and such in it.

Coidzor
2010-10-27, 12:16 PM
Lesser Aasimar has a charisma bonus, lesser drow might as well.

megabyter5
2010-10-27, 01:09 PM
Lesser Aasimar has a charisma bonus, lesser drow might as well.

Are you suggesting a character with Fey AND Celestial heritage?!

...I approve. Can we get some Elemental or Undead in there too, somehow?

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 01:15 PM
Are you suggesting a character with Fey AND Celestial heritage?!

...I approve. Can we get some Elemental or Undead in there too, somehow?

Necropolitan with an Elemental or Genie bloodline?

megabyter5
2010-10-27, 01:33 PM
Can a Half-Fey Aasimar even take an elemental bloodline? Even if RAW allows it, no sane DM would.

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 01:41 PM
Can a Half-Fey Aasimar even take an elemental bloodline? Even if RAW allows it, no sane DM would.

Bloodlines don't interact with anything (type, subtype, race, gender, class, alignment, ect) i'm aware of, they are on their own tier.

Might have to apply it before templates it they do interact.

Coidzor
2010-10-27, 01:50 PM

Yes. Aasimar can be fairly far removed from their celestial ancestry, and bloodlines... *shrug* no idea on how close one needs to be to qualify for the categories, if indeed there's anything of the sort. The elemental bloodline part could even come from the fey parent, I think.

Heh, a thought just occurred to me of a half-celestial fey breeding with a human and producing a half-fey aasimar. And a twin that's a half-celestial feytouched or whatever the appropriate one is.:smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-10-27, 01:59 PM
Dragonkin in Races of the Dragon get a Cha bonus, but you'd take a Con penalty.

Lesser Aasimar detailed in the back of PGtF get everything the standard Aasimar get minus the Outsider creature type, for no level adjustment.

The Magic-Blooded template from Dragon 306 gives Wis -2, Cha +2, for no level adjustment. You can google it and find all the details online, it can be added onto pretty much anything you pick.

Small size races get a lot of benefits. Gnome is a good choice for a half-fey due to their Con bonus, and you can take the feat Magic in the Blood from PGtF. A Lesser Aasimar would also qualify for that, it makes all of your 1/day racial spell-like abilities usable 3/day instead, which will include those gained from half-fey.

Since your character will already be a fey creature, see if you can take Fey Power/Skin/etc. without spending a feat on Fey Heritage. I'd skip Fey Legacy and Fey Presence, they don't add much that you won't already be able to duplicate with your current abilities or cheap magic items. Definitely get Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast, which will add +2 DC to any Eldritch Essence you use. Since Half-Fey grants Charm Person as a spell-like ability, you could take a level of Mindbender to get Telepathy without wasting an invocation to qualify. With Fey Power you'd be able to go Warlock 4/ Mindbender 1, and be sure to pick up the feat Mindsight from Lords of Madness (page 126).

Tokuhara
2010-10-27, 02:34 PM
I actually enjoy using Killoren (mostly in a nature-themed PC). My fave was a Killoren Wildshaping Ranger/Holt Warden/Beastmaster. Sure, he wasn't a major caster but heck, he was a Wooden Fleshraker with an Earth Elemental animal companion who grew poisonous toadstools and carnivorous plants from its flesh.

as for a Fey-themed Warlock, I'd almost suggest taking the template with the lesser aasimar and doubling up on Fey Heritage feats.

On a side note: would a Half-Fiend Lesser Aasimar be physically possible? If so, what would his alignment be? I'd bet on some goofy neutral or something...

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-28, 07:02 AM
On a side note: would a Half-Fiend Lesser Aasimar be physically possible? If so, what would his alignment be? I'd bet on some goofy neutral or something...

Yes a Fiend can impregnate any thing they want regaurdless of alignment. Prolly would be rape but who's asking? Their Fiend blood is stronger technically so they would be [evil]

Coidzor
2010-10-28, 07:11 AM

"Half-fiend" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

So, anything nongood. To start with anyway. don't stop being half fiends if they become good.

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-28, 07:24 AM
So, anything nongood. To start with anyway. don't stop being half fiends if they become good.

Nothing says an Aasimar has to be good. Just look at all the good aligned surface dwelling Drow.

Also it says nothing about the mother's alignment :smallsmile:

Talya
2010-10-28, 09:02 AM
The half-fey template along with the feat "Magic in the Blood" is VERY worth it.

Newt
2010-10-29, 04:19 AM
The Fey Heritage feat list DR stacks with the Warlock DR, but does the Bloodlines DR stack as well? Especially greater. I can see the LA being worth 14DR or such. Not massively useful against a 10d6 fireball, but we have energy resistance for that.

Also in regard to Bloodlines, can you buy them off like normal LA? Caster Level isn't hit, and there's more bonuses to a Warlock than negatives. But you know, every level bought off is another level to play with.