PDA

View Full Version : Short Manifester level question

PrGo
2010-10-26, 05:38 PM
Is there a way to uncap it for some powers? In any kind or form?
This is for entertainment purposes only, not to be used in a game ...unless it is reasonably balanced :smalltongue:

Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Inspiration came from this picture :smalltongue:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x38/MightyDraco/EnergyBolt.jpg

Keld Denar
2010-10-26, 05:56 PM
What do you mean by "uncap"? No powers have built in PP caps that I can think of. The only PP cap IS your ML. If you can get a ML of 500, and you have 500 PP lying around, you could totally Energy Ray someone for 500d6 damage.

The issue is, getting a ML of 500...

If you are saying that you want to be able to spend 500 PP on a power, even though your ML is only 20, well then you are attempting to unbind the most fundamental aspect of the entire psionic system. Think long and hard before you attempt to do this...

"You can not spend more PP on a power than you have Manifester Levels." is the fundamental theorum of psionics. Its the nozzle that keeps psionics balanced. If you remove the nozzle and allow someone to just dump all of their PP into one power, thats about the same as allowing a wizard to cast all of his spells at once. You just shouldn't do it.

Nero24200
2010-10-26, 05:59 PM
To my knowledge only two things let you go beyond the normal cap. One is the Overchannel line of feats, which require you to take damage in order to do so.

The second is the Wilder's Class feature Wild Surge, for which the wilder gains very little powers known and lags behind with regards to highest powers known (with a 5% chacne per increased level of the boost not working).

PrGo
2010-10-26, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I know that would just break the game in a way, but I was wondering is it possible to accomplish. Ability to go nova for 200d6 would be fun :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2010-10-26, 06:09 PM
How? You throw 200d6 on the table, spend 20 minutes counting it all up, and then your DM looks at you, says "you're dumb", and moves on to the next player in initiative while completely ignoring you.

Or at least thats what I'd do is someone tried to do that.

And no, there isn't any way to completely ignore the ML cap. You can push it slightly with things like a Torc of Power Preservation or obvious CL increases like an Orange IWIN Stone or Craft Magic Tattoo, just the way you can increase caster levels, but you can't totally uncap it, because that is dumb and completely shatters the game into millions of DM tears.

Psionics is fine the way it is, don't smear its good name trying to pull a stunt like that.

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 06:27 PM
Psionics is fine the way it is, don't smear its good name trying to pull a stunt like that.

Psionics is better than fine. It's BALANCED. :smallbiggrin:

Aran Banks
2010-10-26, 06:53 PM
Psionics is...BALANCED...

I laughed heartily at this.

tyckspoon
2010-10-26, 11:02 PM
I laughed heartily at this.

It's closer to it, as a whole, than the traditional spell system is. Which is about as much as you can ask for from a casting system in D&D, especially one which is based on the 9-spell-levels template and meant to be competitive with standard Vancian.

Rowsen
2010-10-26, 11:19 PM
Psionics is better than fine. It's BALANCED. :smallbiggrin:

If we're comparing it to Arcane casting, sure. But then again, an elephant on a tightrope in a hurricane during the Appocalypse is more balanced than Arcane casting.

Godskook
2010-10-27, 12:42 AM
Step 1: Get infinite PP(This is so you can actually *cast* that large ML power)

Step 2: Get persistent consumptive field cast on yourself.

Step 3: Combine!

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Profit!!!!!!!!

Sample build:
Psion 16/Ur-Priest 4

Feats:
Midnight Augmentation
Extend Spell
Persist Spell
DMM: Persist
1+ Incarnate feat(for powering Midnight feat)
Summon Elemental

Items:
Torc of power preservation

Kirgoth
2010-10-27, 12:54 AM
4th level psion, 4th level sorcerer

Practiced manifester = ML8
Practiced spellcaster = CL8

Psiotheurgist feat with say focus in evocation
ML = ML+CL = 16 for evocation spells
CL = ML+CL = 16 for Psychokinesis powers

It gets better still
do psion 4/sorcerer 4 then cerebromancer 12
ML = 40
CL = 40

40D10 damage mind thrusts without using metapsionics

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 04:31 AM
4th level psion, 4th level sorcerer

Practiced manifester = ML8
Practiced spellcaster = CL8

Psiotheurgist feat with say focus in evocation
ML = ML+CL = 16 for evocation spells
CL = ML+CL = 16 for Psychokinesis powers

It gets better still
do psion 4/sorcerer 4 then cerebromancer 12
ML = 40
CL = 40

40D10 damage mind thrusts without using metapsionics

Still more balanced then being able to chain-gate solars. :smalltongue:

PrGo
2010-10-27, 07:46 PM
Oh well thanks for the responses. My curiosity is satisfied for now :smalltongue:

Godskook
2010-10-27, 10:06 PM
Still more balanced then being able to chain-gate solars. :smalltongue:

Its also a dragon magazine feat, from what I can tell, which means that feat is outside of core psionics.

Kylarra
2010-10-27, 10:13 PM
40D10 damage isn't really all that impressive at level 20 anyway, and certainly less impressive than Arcane Thesis, which, being in a printed book is far more likely to be allowed than a Dmag feat. For 18% of your total power points, it's rather unimpressive.

Dark_Nohn
2010-10-28, 02:34 AM
Most I can reasonably get is [27d10]x1.5 costing 29 PP, or perhaps 345 straight damage (talk about save or die)

Also, you can't get Cerebromancer 11 or 12 until character level 21 and 22... you'd have to get Psiotheurgist Illusion(all others) as the Mind Thrust power is Telepathy based (unless there's a different 1d10 that I dont know about.)Also, practiced Manifester/Caster will not increase your caster level above your character level... ever. The best you can do with this formula is 5sorc/5wilder/10cerebromancer, for a total of 30 CL +(2 wild surge +3 overchannel.) but I wouldn't allow Psiotheurgist in any of my campaigns, even if I wasn't running it.

dgnslyr
2010-10-28, 02:38 AM
Now, if you took a level in Badass, you might be able to homebrew a Badass ability that let you raise the cap for augmenting powers...

Requires DM consent for powerful homebrew, but only fair (and fun) when everybody does it.