PDA

View Full Version : Useful Tool: Initiative Cards (3.5, probably applicable to other systems)

Callista
2010-10-26, 08:32 PM
This is a strategy for DMs to cut down on the time required to figure out whose initiative it is. Just writing down names and initiative modifiers has an annoying tendency to get people skipped and the DM confused, especially if they're not written down in order.

Get some normal index cards for initiative cards.
Have everyone write down on those cards two things:
Character name
Initiative Modifier

Make one or more cards for the monsters as well. A card that just says "Monsters" works OK, if you only have one group initiative for them.

Then, when it comes time to roll initiative, spread out those cards. Have everyone roll their initiative. Then go from left to right having people give you their initiative numbers. In pencil, write down each initiative value on the appropriate character's card. Roll for the monsters and write down those values.

Then put all the cards in order, from highest to lowest initiative value. (You wrote the modifiers on the cards in case of matching initiatives; highest initiative modifier goes first.)

Take the stack of cards, and start with whoever's card is on the top. Whenever someone's turn ends, take their card and put it on the bottom of the stack. The card that's next on the top of the stack will be the character who has the next initiative.

If someone uses a Delay or Ready action, just put their card to the side until their trigger action comes up (Ready), or put it into the stack at whatever initiative they want to Delay to.

This has saved me LOTS of time during combat, stopped me from skipping people's turns (or forgetting the monsters' turns), and kept initiative values straight without much thinking on my part.

bartman
2010-10-26, 09:24 PM
one thing one of our DMs did that we all found really increased the time, was when we had to roll initiative, we would take the highest PC result, and the monster result, and whatever was higher, that group went first. This meant that all the monsters went, then all the PCs went. We also went in order of seating at the table. Didnt like your spot, change seats temporarily (when the opportunity presented itself). It seemed to work out quite well in our group.

Kerrin
2010-10-26, 10:37 PM
I started using initiative index cards a while ago and they've worked out well.

Usually each player will roll up several initiative scores all at once then we use them in order as encounters come up. I there's time beforehand I'll roll up all the monsters' initiatives and put them on the cards so they're also ready to go.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-26, 10:39 PM
Thats pretty much what I do. However, instead of stacking the cards, I fold em in half, and drop them on the DM screen(or, when not using a screen, a handy wire that does the same) in order. Thus, the order is visible for all to see.

Minor preference, same basic idea.