PDA

View Full Version : Are there any (published) no LA/level loss PC undead or plant races?

Jolly
2010-10-27, 12:35 AM
I've been interested in playing an undead PC for a while, and I recently saw a home brewed plant race that looked very interesting. However, I'm not aware of any such races that have been published. Are the undead/plant traits just that good, so that it's not possible to get them and stay below LA+1?

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-27, 12:37 AM
Well, if you can count Dragon Magazine as published there was a Plant Race they released.

Sadly, it's late and I don't have access so I'll let someone else further inform you on this.

FelixG
2010-10-27, 12:44 AM
I think necropolitan is a LA +0, it talks about loosing levels but you could have been level X before the operation and droped to level 1 by it i suppose?

WhiteShark
2010-10-27, 12:45 AM
For published things, there's the Necropolitan template in Libris Mortis which makes one undead with no LA.

For unpublished material, there's the Tome of Necromancy (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527634/Tome_of_Necromancy) which is a bunch of extremely well thought out homebrew stuff on necromancy, including several undead races.

Jolly
2010-10-27, 12:51 AM
For published things, there's the Necropolitan template in Libris Mortis which makes one undead with no LA.

Technically true, but I imagine many DM's would rule the "drops a level" part of the ritual would at the very least start you off behind the party. I suppose not necessarily though...

For unpublished material, there's the Tome of Necromancy (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527634/Tome_of_Necromancy) which is a bunch of extremely well thought out homebrew stuff on necromancy, including several undead races.

That's great, thank you for pointing me to that. :smallbiggrin:

Jade_Tarem
2010-10-27, 12:57 AM
There aren't many, and for good reason. The Undead type is generally a great big wad of immunities, with maybe one or two new (rare) weaknesses to compensate. That's why being undead generally is an automatic +2 LA to any creature. The Necropolitan's level loss is designed to allow for cheap entry into the undead type, but it's generally considered bad form to try picking it up for free. If you do find a good way to pick up free Undeadness, please consult your DM before using it - he may need to adjust his challenges and encounters accordingly.

Tanuki Tales
2010-10-27, 10:05 AM
Adu'ja, Dragon Magazine 317, page 22.

Discuss with your DM though because I don't think they deserve a +2 LA.

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 10:17 AM
the forsaken from the WOW RPG and the WarCraft RPG before it are LA+0 with optional monster classes. It is fully 3.5 compatible