PDA

View Full Version : [Any] Character Archetypes, Roleplaying, and You

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 05:25 AM
This is a thread about roleplaying various character archetypes/tropes. Not just for DnD or other fantasy fiction games, but all RPGs in general.

For example, you've got the "Strong, Silent Type," the "Loquacious Party Face," the "Scheming Mastermind," the "Conniving Rogue," etc. What's your favorite, and which ones to you find yourself frequently stuck as? Also, tips for roleplaying are also welcome, in case there are some newer players out there that need some help.

Favorite: Loquacious Party Face. I love to be the one doing the talking, getting the discounts at the SuperMagic Mart, etc.
Frequently Stuck As: Scheming Mastermind. I don't exactly know why, my friends are just as good (read: not at all) at tactics as I am.

FelixG
2010-10-27, 05:29 AM
Favorite: Tinkerer

Often play as ...Tinkerer :smallbiggrin:

odder
2010-10-27, 05:41 AM
Favorite: old school wizard/ scholar type with loads of different knowledge skills

Frequently/Currently Stuck As: Hit first ask questions later kind of guy

darbythegambler
2010-10-27, 05:47 AM
Favorite: All-powerful sage (usually done with a theurge-ish class)

Often Play: Band-Aid :smallsigh:

odder
2010-10-27, 05:52 AM
Sucks to be you :smallwink:

Cipher Stars
2010-10-27, 05:54 AM
Favorite: Gtfout of my way with True necromancer levels.
Frequently Stuck As: the same, but sucking up pride to lead the others through trouble. they just aren't good leaders.

ninja_penguin
2010-10-27, 06:11 AM
Favorite: The Jack of all trades, or the one who rounded out with the more practical but less chosen skills.

FrequentlyAlways stuck as: The medic.

Leon
2010-10-27, 06:54 AM
Fav: Combat Support / Ranged Damage Platform
Frequently Stuck As: Combat Support

tahu88810
2010-10-27, 06:56 AM
Favorite: Knight in Shining Armor
Currently Stuck As: DM :P

Psyx
2010-10-27, 06:56 AM
Favourite: Smart, dex-based, jack-of-all-trades, useful-in-a-fight, sneaky type.

Often plays: Whatever nobody else wants to, so long as it's not a cleric.

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 07:12 AM
Favorite: Knight in Shining Armor
Currently Stuck As: DM :P
I feel your pain. But my friend actually wants to DM nowadays, so I get to play. YAY!

Favorite: Tinkerer

Often play as ...Tinkerer :smallbiggrin:
What's your brand of tinker? Artificer, Arcane Mechanick, Bodger, what?

druid91
2010-10-27, 07:18 AM
Favorite:Psychotic glass cannon.
Often play as:Psychotic glass cannon.

Blitzkrieg is fun. So is rocket tag.

MightyTim
2010-10-27, 07:20 AM
Favorite: Anything I haven't tried before.

Often Play: Whatever the party needs.

Luckily there's usually a decent overlap.

Cogidubnus
2010-10-27, 07:31 AM

d20 WoW tinker? The purest tinker there is...

Favourite: Gah. I have so many. Powerful caster is always fun, but so is staunch knight. But no; I settle on the Succubus Bard.

Often Play: I try to do something different with each character

odder
2010-10-27, 07:38 AM
oh! and I often play a minion master as well...most of the time backed up by hordes of undead

Merk
2010-10-27, 07:50 AM
Favorite: Versatile and intelligent jack of all trades (e.g. factotum/chameleon).
Often Play: Frontline fighters.

Kaulesh
2010-10-27, 08:08 AM
Favorite: Skillmonkey

Often Play: Skillmonkey

The definition of skillmonkey is not strict. It ranges from a factotum in D&D to my manipulative doctor locksmith NASCAR driver in CoC to my decker in Shadowrun.

Show
2010-10-27, 08:16 AM
For my party, we usually need... everything. One guy only plays frontline fighters, and the other usually plays a rogue or mage of some sort, leaving me plenty of options. I only have two criterion:
1) has strategic value
So no barbarian for me.
Unless you consider killing random stuff strategic value.

Aron Times
2010-10-27, 08:33 AM
In Team Fortress 2, my favorite class is the Spy. However, I usually play Medic because nobody else does, and there's always a Spy or two already on my team.

In Vampire, I like to play the Ventrue mastermind, and I am in fact playing a Ventrue mastermind here in the Playground.

In D&D 3.5, I favor the gish archetype, preferably a sorcerer gish, though in 4e my favorite class is the psion (at-will mind control at level 3).

Birstel
2010-10-27, 08:38 AM
Favorite: Combat Medic/Support
Currently stuck as: DM for one game, front line fighter in two others.

FelixG
2010-10-27, 08:45 AM
I feel your pain. But my friend actually wants to DM nowadays, so I get to play. YAY!

Iron Man Artificier OR if i have the resources and a fun gm my favorite kind is a hoardificier

Talyn
2010-10-27, 08:59 AM
Favorite: "Mr. Defense" - whatever the system, I want to be the guy who gets hit with everything the other side has, and just snarls and says 'is that the best you got?'

Typically play: The party "face," since I'm the one most likely to be a) following along with the plot and b) talking in-character.

Every once in a while, I get to play a paladin and do both! Those are happy days.

Kaww
2010-10-27, 09:21 AM
Favorite: DM/The guy that does nothing, but the party can't live without him.

Usual: DM/The guy that does nothing, but the party can't live without him.

Earthwalker
2010-10-27, 09:38 AM
Favorite: Professional non violent type usualy former company man.

Usual: GM or guy that knows the rules.

WarKitty
2010-10-27, 09:53 AM
Favorite: Controller/buffer
Often stuck as": Blaster/kill-it-before-it-ganks-me

Gahrer
2010-10-27, 10:26 AM
Favorite: Sociopathic, silver-tounged and downright crazy. Any combo that lets me combine thoose.
Usual: GM. Gotta love it! :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 10:27 AM
Favorite: Sociopathic, silver-tounged and downright crazy. Any combo that lets me combine thoose.
Usual: GM. Gotta love it! :smallbiggrin:

So....a Bard? :smalltongue:

valadil
2010-10-27, 10:28 AM
Favorite: Scoundrel or old man wizard.
Usual: See above.
Antithesis: White knight or religious zealot.

Engine
2010-10-27, 10:28 AM
Favorite:Charismatic Grey Eminence. I rarely take the role of the Party Face, but most of the times I'm the leader of my party (probably 'cus I'm the only one who understands tactics, strategy and critical thinking).

Often stuck as:Same as above, but I'm also the party meat shield\bullseye 'cus I'm the only one willing to take risks with my PC to advance the plot.

Kaulesh
2010-10-27, 10:32 AM
So....a Bard? :smalltongue:

I think he's saying his favorite is also being a GM.

Dienekes
2010-10-27, 10:37 AM
Favorite: Self aware man of violence or political mastermind.
Frequently Stuck As: Before I became GM I actually went through most everything I could think of, from charming knave, to an old nature lady with some anger issues. Now I'm the GM, so I have to use everything I can think of to flesh out my NPCs.

Gahrer
2010-10-27, 03:03 PM
I think he's saying his favorite is also being a GM.

You are both correct. :smallbiggrin:

arrowhen
2010-10-27, 03:43 PM
Favorite: Ruthless, amoral bastard who would lay down his life (but preferably someone else's) for his friends without a moment's hesitation.
Usually stuck as: the DM.

WarKitty
2010-10-27, 04:25 PM
Favorite: Ruthless, amoral bastard who would lay down his life (but preferably someone else's) for his friends without a moment's hesitation.
Usually stuck as: the DM.

There's a difference between the two?

Lifeson
2010-10-27, 04:51 PM
Favourite: The "face" of the party, with enough skills in other places to make me a valid team mate. (i.e. A competent bard.)

Usually: Whatever the party doesn't have. Also, lately: the DM.

NineThePuma
2010-10-27, 04:56 PM
I prefer to play Rogue style characters, sneaky types, with a decided Tactician bent.

I've lately been playing Tank characters.

Lord Vampyre
2010-10-27, 05:04 PM
Favourite: In Scifi games I prefer to play the daredevil pilot.
In Fantasy games I prefer the knowledgeable wizard.

Often stuck as: Party Leader.

Squally!
2010-10-27, 05:48 PM
Fave: The silent face! Speaking up only when the otehrs fail.
Currently:The eccentric face! Bard/Pally, woot woot.

RickGriffin
2010-10-27, 11:20 PM
Favorite: Smashy melee fighter

Often Play: Tactical guy, which might not be mutually exclusive except I usually end up dumping INT so it doesn't . . . quite make sense

Kylarra
2010-10-27, 11:24 PM
Favorite: Rogue-stealthy-ninja type character
Usual: GM, beatstick

Gamgee
2010-10-27, 11:33 PM
Most like to play as: Corrupt bastard out for himself who can talk his way out of going to hell.

Most often play: DM.

-_-

I've only ever played 3 sessions in my life in real life that is and none of them were at all any good. Most other DM's just can't handle the insanity. Despite his best to railroad me I bent the railroad tracks in a SAGA session and ended it with a 100k in credits. Had plans to go on being a con man and eventually raise a might Trade Federation, but better in every single way. He quit that same session as he couldn't handle the insanity. I don't even know why anyone listened to me that game as I left half of them behind to cover my ass while I made out with a metric ton of money.

Crossblade
2010-10-28, 12:29 AM
Favorite: Sneaky, hide in the shadows, stealth guy.

Stuck: Currently, Team Leader/Driver. Last time, Doctor/Driver. GM lost the character sheets and 2 players were booted, so the we got to retcon the characters. (My gf took the doctor role)
Leader role and stealth role don't match up... doctor and stealth didn't either, I tried.