PDA

View Full Version : Minsc Appreciation Thread

Sneak
2006-02-28, 08:01 PM
This board needs one. Come on, you can't deny it.

Rei_Jin
2006-02-28, 08:06 PM
All boards need a Minsc appreciation thread. This one is no different.

"Boo needs his exercise, or he will bite us all in hard-to-reach places!"

Arian
2006-02-28, 08:13 PM
You know you play too much Baldur's Gate when...

you sit down to dinner and shout:

"Full plate, and packing steel!" (cutlery)

Sneak
2006-02-28, 08:17 PM
MINSC LINKS

Good place for Minsc quotes, along with other BGII quotes. (http://www.personal.psu.edu/eab223/baldurs_quotations.htm)

The Incomplete and Probably Quite Abridged Guide to Minsc (http://www.nightwasp.com/daggerdale/minsc/minsc.htm)

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-03-02, 08:03 PM
I was amused by the character in BG but I didn't realize that Minsc had generated such a fanbase....

Grey Watcher
2006-03-02, 10:23 PM
Yeah, Minsc is cool. :-)

"Butt-kicking! For goodness!"

Matthew
2006-03-02, 10:54 PM
"You point, I punch."

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-02, 11:33 PM
*Where evil dost lay its dirty feet, we shall mop the floor with its buttocks!*

;D I love him

Matthew
2006-03-03, 02:57 AM
“Make way evil! I’m armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!”

Ambrogino
2006-03-03, 06:10 AM
"Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!"

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-03, 06:27 AM
*Fall upon my sword evil... for I, won't be as gentle!!*

;D

Gralamin
2006-03-03, 01:57 PM
"Must... get aid soon... Boo is too young to have to avenge me."

feral
2006-03-03, 03:14 PM
Cover your nose, Boo. We will leave no crevice untouched!

Matthew
2006-03-03, 04:03 PM
“Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHAGHH!!!”

Estella
2006-03-03, 05:53 PM
"Terrible hamster justice will be wreaked upon you!! GO FOR THE EYES, BOO, GO---"
-Minsc

Minsc has to be the awsomest BGII ever!

Sneak
2006-03-03, 06:51 PM
I think Minsc should be in NwN...that would be awesome.

Matthew
2006-03-03, 07:38 PM
I agree. Someone must have tried it already, though.

Thiel
2006-03-05, 11:01 AM
Boo, the miniature giant space hamster
"Feel the burning stare of my HAMSTER and change your ways!" -Minsc

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-03-05, 12:51 PM
I think Minsc should be in NwN...that would be awesome.

I think one of those Minsc appreciation pages you linked earlier has a Minsc mod for the PC; as I recall it comes with its own sound pack of Minsc quotes.

Gralamin
2006-03-06, 01:16 AM
I think one of those Minsc appreciation pages you linked earlier has a Minsc mod for the PC; as I recall it comes with its own sound pack of Minsc quotes.

You are correct. The cloest way to build him I think would be a barbarian/ranger.

Kaziel
2006-03-06, 08:13 PM
Interestingly enough the voice of Minsc, Jim Cummings, is also the common voice of Winnie the Pooh and Tigger these days. :D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0191906/

Yoast
2006-03-07, 08:39 AM
Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.

Maybe not the best character in BG, but still a 'must have' just for his comments. I suggest combining him with the talking sword Lilarcor.

Jibar
2006-03-07, 12:05 PM
Interestingly enough the voice of Minsc, Jim Cummings, is also the common voice of Winnie the Pooh and Tigger these days. :D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0191906/

That...that's just...
...yer...

Nero24200
2006-03-08, 11:10 AM
Go for the eyes boo! The eyes!

Boo says...What?!

Butts will be liberelly kicked in good measrue

Minsc is the best character in Bauldirs Gate, no question

DeathQuaker
2006-03-08, 02:10 PM
I wrote up a 3.5 ed tabletop version of Minsc once:

http://www.deathquaker.org/gaming/minsc.html

It probably seriously needs some reworking, as I was just learning the system then... but hey, any comments, let me know.

Minsc is awesome, but then, I like most of the BGII NPCs. All around very well written and fun characters.

*looks at Sneak's avatar and wonders if she should use her Imoen avatar again*

Behold_the_Void
2006-03-08, 10:42 PM
Minsc is one of the major reasons to play Baldur's Gate 2. Seriously.

That Lanky Bugger
2006-03-10, 06:21 PM
I'll be honest, here... The only reason I completed the Baldurs Gate games was because of Minsc.

Sneak
2006-03-10, 07:10 PM
Minsc is seriously the best character. Jan comes in second, of course.

Matthew
2006-03-10, 07:42 PM
I like all the characters, but Minsc is a source of special amusement.
In BG 1 Kivan and Viconia have a nice antagonistic relationship that sometimes reveals itself, but I particulalry enjoyed watching Monatron and Xzar realise Khalid and Jaheira were Harpers and breaking into open hostilities. It was very bad at the time as the party was in the middle of nowhere, but it was a hilarious surprise.
I once forced Edwin to work with Minsc and Dynaheir (believing I had finally done the impossible) and was taken aback to find they had an exchange keyed to this very instance.
I was sad to see the death of Dynaheir; poor old Minsc.

geek_2049
2006-03-11, 12:42 PM
I'm on board. Minsc and Jan made for an entertaining duo.

Kish
2006-03-11, 05:34 PM
I wrote up a 3.5 ed tabletop version of Minsc once:

http://www.deathquaker.org/gaming/minsc.html

It probably seriously needs some reworking, as I was just learning the system then... but hey, any comments, let me know.

'Kay. :P It's very cool.

Rashemen warriors of all classes use a special potion brewed by the witches to berserk. Minsc can berserk because he's from Rashemen--he doesn't need the barbarian level.

Archonic Energy
2006-03-11, 07:46 PM
"no more sneaking Boo crackers. He is getting rather portly, and the crumbs make for an itchy bedroll"

Sneak, trust you to start a minsc apreciation thread...

have i got to add "me love Minsc" to my sig?

dungeon_munky
2006-03-12, 06:06 PM
"Ahhh, we are all heros! You and Boo and I! Hamsters and rangers everywhere! REJOICE!!!!"
Best character ever.Doesn't really cut it as a ranger. Still the only good character I kept as an evil PC.

Maxymiuk
2006-03-12, 10:08 PM
And then there was the time Aeris got a Dezintegrate spell in the face and Minsc cut down half my party in his rage, as he attempted to get at the wizard...

Oh, wait, it's a Minsc appreciation thread... right.

The version of BG2 I've played was dubbed in Polish. I have to say, the translators/actors did an excellent job with giving Minsc a backwater sort of voice and grammar. It fits his character perfectly. Just too bad there's no way to translate it back into English without losing the effect...

Zain_Thorngallow
2006-03-12, 11:07 PM
"I turned to shield Boo, and lost my spell. I am *not* sorry.)

Best failed concentration check quote ever. :)

Archonic Energy
2006-03-13, 07:49 AM
Zain. Please don't start a trend .....

Bug-a-Boo
2006-03-13, 07:59 AM
This thread is making me want to dig up my BGII and play the whole game+expansion over again just for minsc ;D

Zain_Thorngallow
2006-03-13, 01:19 PM
Zain. Please don't start a trend .....

Sorry A_E... you let the djinni out of the bottle. You've got no one to blame here but yourself. ;D

Another great Minscism:

"Magic is all fine and good, but when Minsc leads, SWORDS for EVERYBODY!!"

DeathQuaker
2006-03-17, 05:23 PM
Rashemen warriors of all classes use a special potion brewed by the witches to berserk. Minsc can berserk because he's from Rashemen--he doesn't need the barbarian level.

Rrr? I have never, ever heard of this. Where is it mentioned? Does one keep drinking the potion, or is it a racial feature? If it's a racial feature, do Rashemi have other traits not typical to humans or do they have a +1 ECL to balance this out? Is it all Rashemi or just members of a Lodge?

I should note that all of the builds I've done at that site have been with the PHB and the FRG only (possibly also Players Guide to Faerun). So using only those books, I think Minsc would have to have the Barbarian level to have the berserk.

But if you point me to the source I'll try and figure out if it's worth tweaking.

Thanks.

storybookknight
2006-03-17, 09:05 PM
I only ever watched my roommate play that, and I still thought he was hilarious.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-03-25, 03:52 AM
Go Minsc and Boo, lol just adding my 5 cents from a Baldurs Gate I and II addict.

MisterRaziel
2006-03-26, 08:01 AM
The great thing about Baldur's Gate II is the developers invoked a little bit of Rule 0 to give the characters some real flair.

Take, for instance, that one ranger (Name callously forgotten) who can go Werewolf. Or the fact that the main character can turn into a ravening monster of pure hate.

This is the kind of thing where the DM says "Okay, it really fleshes out your character, so you can rage as a barbarian."

Indaer
2006-03-26, 12:51 PM
Minsc is awesome... I have played the game both on English and dubbed spanish, and, on either language, he rocks!

"Somos héroes, Bubú tu y yo. Los hamsters y los exploradores se regocijan en todos lados"

TamerBill
2006-03-26, 03:56 PM
Take, for instance, that one ranger (Name callously forgotten) who can go Werewolf.

His name's Cernd, and he's a druid. Specifically, a Shapeshifter kit druid, which is available to all characters. No rule 0 there.

Archonic Energy
2006-03-27, 03:19 AM
Sneak, why have you changed your Avatar? does our leader no longer appreciate the Mighty Minsc?

Kish
2006-03-27, 06:58 PM
Where is it mentioned?

Sorry about not responding to this sooner. I hoped I could find my Forgotten Realms Guide and look it up, but I can't find the book. Accordingly, I can't swear that it's still in 3ed. Try looking in the section that talks about Rashemen, for jhuild, or firewine.

Arian
2006-03-27, 09:23 PM
The 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting section on Rashemen (pp 203-205) mentions in a couple of different places that Rashemen's warriors are berserkers.

It also says that the Witches brew "...the potent Rashemen firewine", and that the Rashemi export "jhuild, or firewine (which costs as much as 15gp per tallglass elsewhere in Faerun)."

There is no connection made between the berserking of the warriors and the brewing of the firewine. Would it be exported, if that was the expected effect? :)

Kish
2006-03-28, 01:44 AM
Unlikely. Unless--bleh, nevermind. :P I can't even speculate effectively without my book. It sounds like the entire link got dropped in 3ed.

Imrix.
2006-03-28, 07:30 AM
"Must get aid soon, Boo is too young to have to avenge me!"

Minsc rocks, especially if kitted out properly...

Tsuki
2006-05-13, 03:18 PM
"Live by the sword, live a good loooong life!" ;D

Soulefoin
2006-05-14, 04:34 PM
LIVE A GOOD LONG TIME! NOT LIFE!!!! OMGMEMAD!!111

Through one of my many sessions of playing Baldur's Gate II I traded Minsc for Valygar. 3 Hours later my sanity broke and I went back to the save where I made the trade. Minsc is too good to leave.

.:Soulefoin:. ;)

Archonic Energy
2006-05-14, 07:44 PM
i never played a game without him.
even when i went evil.
now That was funny!

Shadow_of_Light
2006-05-14, 10:46 PM
No party is complete without Minsc (and a miniature giant space hamster)!

"The face I have is the face the ladies LOVE! *Boo* loves Minsc's face, don't you Boo? Don't you??"

OzymandiasVolt
2006-05-16, 12:10 PM
Minsc is definitely the first thing I remember when someone says "Baldur's Gate".

Minsc&Lunna:D
2009-03-22, 11:12 PM
qoute: squirrels,Boo, i know i saw them! Quick,Throw nuts! Quote

he also says something about fighting whoever tries to steal those squirels nuts, but i forget it at the moment. I don't know, i always thought they should have given him a bit more depth in BG2 (never played bg1) there a nice romnance loop for female player characters, but its with that idiot Anomen..i cant stand him... i always thought they should make Minsc and Yoshimo an option as well..the discussions alone would be well worth an expansoin pack or chea pack that wrote that in.

Ethdred
2009-03-23, 06:00 AM
Minsc is awesome... I have played the game both on English and dubbed spanish, and, on either language, he rocks!

"Somos héroes, Bubú tu y yo. Los hamsters y los exploradores se regocijan en todos lados"

Wow! I must get all of Minsc in Spanish, that just sounds so cool! I'm not so sure about the Polish version, but willing to give it a go :)

Maybe someone should start an online database of Minscisms in as many languages as possible.

Very cool thread idea - he is by far the best thing about BG. I was really worried when I heard about him that he was going to be some lame comic side-kick, but he is so much better than that.

Butt-kicking for goodness!!!

DBear
2009-04-08, 01:13 AM
I particularly liked this exchange--

Viconia: Minsc, that tattoo on your face. Does it have tribal significance
or did some nursery's fingerpainting class assault you with the
blue pastels?

Minsc: I do not like the tone of your voice, Dark Elf. The face I have is
the face the ladies love! Boo loves Minsc's face, too! Don't you,
Boo?

KIDS
2009-04-08, 05:50 AM
Player: "Ah, you're talking to your... hamster? How did you manage to keep him hidden from our captors?"
Minsc: "Boo is small and evasive, and there is ever so much of Minsc to search!"
Imoen: "Ewww.... I guess I don't really want to think about that right now."

i always thought they should make Minsc and Yoshimo an option as well

Ssssshhh! What woman would want to forever be less important to her husband than a hamster?

Er.... I guess that happens kinda often in rl, only with dogs :(

nooblade
2009-04-08, 09:17 PM
There was some mixed martial arts guy in real life who looks and sounds just like Minsc, I think I saw the link on these boards actually. Should look that up again, he was funny, Minsc all over again.

KIDS
2009-04-09, 04:19 AM
If you find it, I'd love to see it!

hamishspence
2009-04-09, 12:19 PM
Evil! Meet my sword! SWORD! MEET! EVIL!!

Yeah, I like Minsc.

SurlySeraph
2009-04-11, 02:30 AM

I played it in French. "Nous sommes des heros, Boo, toi, y moi. Les hamsters et les rodeurs partout racontent nos histoires!"

KIDS
2009-04-11, 04:51 AM
Hahaha, that's awesome! But did they make the voice synchronisation too, or it was just subtitles?

BlueWizard
2009-04-12, 05:05 AM
I liked Minsc.

SurlySeraph
2009-04-12, 11:57 AM
Hahaha, that's awesome! But did they make the voice synchronisation too, or it was just subtitles?

Full voice. Minsc roared, Boo squeaked, and Aerie whined in their full Francophone glory.

LoadedDie
2009-04-12, 05:07 PM
Yes, Minsc and his Giant Miniature Space Hamster....Boo!

Heh, this thread makes me want to go boot up the old game :)

Thought I'd just throw out that Jan Jansen is awesome :)

*runs away*

Spiryt
2009-04-12, 05:30 PM
I actually didn't hear much original Minsc, but he's great in Polish version as well.

Aaaahhhh... Minsc będzie wolny!

BlueWizard
2009-04-14, 03:44 PM
Minsc got killed the first time I played it. Imagine my surprise when he was in the second.

Remmirath
2009-04-14, 04:19 PM
Yeah, Minsc is awesome. He's one of the few NPCs I can actually stand, much less like.