PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge checks for monsters/emanations (3.5)

Balor01
2010-10-27, 06:30 AM
I am making this campaign where PCs hunt monsters, but the point is, there will be almost no vanilla monsters in it. It is a sort of a witchhunters/inquisitors/ghostbusters campaign. I find it very cool if after awhile(or if some PC dipped really lots of skillpoints into knowledge skills), they could sense a presence of a specific monster in a certain part of town just by their experience. So far, I have 4 monster types to be recognized:
- Vampires
- Werewolves
- Cultists
- Psions
So each 5 DC brings to a PC more info on a relating monsters and i would really like the kind like (DC 25, psions: where a lot of psionics are manifested, non-psions often have trouble concentrating and suffer temporary memory loss. Or say DC 25 Cultists: Crops often go sour close to places of evil worship. Also, water may turn reddish in such areas.)
So I was thinking what knowledge would you include in these knowledge beyond DR15/silver, Fast healing, etc ... I was especially thinking things that could make for PCs easier to track the monsters. You can even come up with stuff, it is really not vanilla setting, but all creative/cool input is appreciated.

Caliphbubba
2010-10-27, 06:58 AM
This seems like a cool idea. Almost like how Dean and Sam find monsters on Supernatural.

some more ideas:

-Milk Curdling
-traces of sulpher
-Bloody Eggs
-lots of dead insects
-birth defects (animals, children)
-Blood Born disease more common
-insomina

faceroll
2010-10-27, 07:16 AM
I would set DCs after I see character sheets. It's pretty easy to pimp a skill check to the mid 20s or 30s by levels 5 to 10, depending on available sources.

Balor01
2010-10-28, 11:30 AM
@Caliphbubba
Awesome :smallbiggrin:
Also, this is sort of a bump :smallsmile:

jiriku
2010-10-28, 11:35 AM
Generally, I provide basic information for a character who meets the DC, then for every 5 points above the DC that the character rolls, I allow the player to ask me one question about the monster type, which I will answer truthfully. This allows the player to decide what sorts of information his character would be most likely to know/was most interested in studying/remembered most clearly.