PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making a scout into a sniping character?

Squnk
2010-10-27, 08:41 AM
I'm about to start a new campaign and want to make a sniping character, I was thinking of going scout because it gives the speed and stealth but the draw back is I don't know how to go about get the distance and damage. I'm still fairly new to the game and would like to stay away from homebrewed stuff. If anyone has any helpful input please help. Thanks.

Lev
2010-10-27, 08:49 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172019
:smallsmile:

elpollo
2010-10-27, 10:43 AM
Dragon 346 had a (not very good) variant scout made for sniping. It replaces the fast movement and skirmish with a sniping shot, which takes a full-round action to make a single shot (not allowing 5 ft steps). If it hits it deals extra damage (equal to the skirmish damage of a scout of your level) regardless of the range, assuming they're not immune to critical hits, have a discernable anatomy, not in cover or concealed, blah blah blah.

What you give up:
Fast Movement
Skirmish (so you lose the bonus to AC)
The possibility to make more than one attack with your extra damage (via pounce/rapid shot/whatever)
The ability to stick extra damage on someone if they're covered/concealed

What you gain:
The ability to deal the extra damage at longer ranges (so long as the target is more than 60ft away)
A very boring "I shoot him once" style of combat

It's a pretty poor trade off, especially considering that most fights aren't going to happen at extreme ranges, but it does fit this sniper feel much better. I'm sure there must be a way to salvage it somehow. Perhaps giving a free hide check as part of the full round action after the shot (takes a standard for the shot, move for the hide), and allowing a 5ft step. I'd probably also give the ability to make a "10ft step" as part of the sniping action at 11th level. The penalty to hide for sniping would also have to be reduced - perhaps the penalty is reduced by the number of levels in the variant you have. I'd also drop the "you lose the damage if they're in cover or have concealment" thing, and the "only targets more than 60ft away" thing.

I'm not entirely sure if you count this as homebrew - I know it technically is, but it's still basically the variant

Eldariel
2010-10-27, 01:58 PM
You'll probably want to multiclass for that concept. In particular, if you want the One Shot One Kill feel, you'll probably want Targetteer Fighter [DR325] that you can find on Crystalkeep; the Snipe-ability of that class is actually somewhat useful for making criticals happen which deals decent damage, especially with Deepwood Sniper [Masters of the Wild]. If you want a non-magical sniper, that's the way to go (though critical focus is kinda meh against many enemies).

Add Peerless Archer [Silver Marches] for Power Shot and there's always Weapon Master [Sword & Fist] for more crit stacking, and Order of the Bow Initiate [Sword & Fist] for even more To Hit. Note how none of those are 3.5 though; yeah, archery kinda got the short end of the stick there.

The good news is that you can pick up all the good volley archer skills and use that as a backup as necessary with such a build. This means you can snipe, and when enemy can't be critted, you can just shoot 1000 arrows at them.

Terumitsu
2010-10-27, 02:50 PM
A rather simple way to be terrible is as follows:

The skirmish damage is stated as written to apply to all attacks made during a round the scout moves at least 10 feet. To bring out the pain, one just has to have a friendly wizard cast Haste upon you or have boots of the same effect. Burn the bonus standard action as a move action (Legal move as stated in the PHB) and proceed use your regular action to do a full attack with a bunch of bonus d6s to damage every time you hit.

That's just one way that comes to mind. I'm sure there are more.

Also, it would not be terrible to take a one level dip into Fighter for all the weapon proficiencies (Namely ranged weapons) as well as the bonus feat that you can use for any of the normal ranged attack feats. The good fortitude is also nice as is the +1 BAB (Base Attack Bonus).

The Distance magical modification on a ranged weapon doubles the range increment as well. I think a longbow gains an increment of 200 feet before suffering a range penalty. That's a good few rounds of something running at you while you shoot at it for giggles.

Anyway, that's just what comes to mind...

Ah! and to boost your Attack bonus as much as you can with high Dex and magic. Having a 3/4 BAB is really the only thing that this class 'suffers' from in my opinion.

But yes, Skirmish is you bestest best friend and you should use it constantly.

Edit: And I note that you said a 'sniper' character. Just as a heads up, a real sniper never fires from the same area twice so as to keep their location a secret. This is why, in my opinion, a scout makes an excellent sniping class as they are movement based in weather or not they get their bonuses.

AslanCross
2010-10-27, 04:27 PM
I always thought Rogue with Crossbow Sniper, Able Sniper, and a wand of Sniper's Shot was the best way to do a sniper. Sneak Attack damage progresses much faster than Skirmish, and it's easier to trigger. Plus, you're actually hiding. With Sneak Attack feats you can actually do called shots to some effect.

EDIT: I forgot Deadeye Shot. When you ready an action to shoot an opponent who gets hit in melee, you get Sneak Attack damage on your attack. It's a bit more dynamic than just camping back and shooting. Ranges of 60 feet or more are already pretty far in D&D, but having the option to Sneak Attack a target from over 400 feet away is pretty awesome.

Hyfigh
2010-10-27, 06:28 PM
Isn't there a feat that allows you to take an additional 5' step, too? Two 5' steps makes for 10' of movement. Full attack with skirmish added...

A great alternative is the Multi-shot feat line. The higher version lets you add precision damage to each arrow fired.