PDA

View Full Version : Can I ride on top of another character?

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-27, 10:15 AM
My bard in a PnP game recently acquired a very special item — an artifact Vest of Legends that, among other things, allows him to Polymorph at will and gain the Subsonics feat. He's going into 16th level now (bard 10, sublime chord 6), and I'm thinking of picking up Persistent Image as a 5th level spell.

Now, here's my idea: cast a Persistent Image of my character that is scripted to sing out loud while my character sings quietly, and then polymorph into a Grig that is riding on the shoulder of one of my teammates. Assuming that the other PC is medium size, can a tiny size Grig ride on his shoulder and be carried along?

Sipex
2010-10-27, 10:16 AM
I don't see why not.

Douglas
2010-10-27, 10:18 AM
I don't know of any rule that would prevent this. Just be prepared for flying DMGs if you try using Mounted Combat to help your fellow PC dodge.

Cogidubnus
2010-10-27, 10:20 AM
This trick can also be used to invade Celestia in about 6 seconds. You see, if both you and an ally have enough strength to carry each other as a light load, you can pick each other up (as a free action) in one round. You wouldn't have time to fall. :smallbiggrin:

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 10:20 AM
my friends did a simular thing. An anthropomorphic bear with an anthropomorphic sparrow riding in his backpack.

The Rabbler
2010-10-27, 10:22 AM
I don't know of any rule that would prevent this. Just be prepared for flying DMGs if you try using Mounted Combat to help your fellow PC dodge.

I tried this in a campaign before (though I was the mount in that case) and you'd be surprised how little it does for you; even with mounted combat. Mounted Combat lets you roll a ride check vs their attack and have it make your mount dodge exactly once each turn. If you fail, you can try again in the same round, but if you succeed, that's the only dodge they can make that turn.

For the cost of a feat and an appropriate saddle, I don't think it's imbalancing at all.

my friends did a simular thing. An anthropomorphic bear with an anthropomorphic sparrow riding in his backpack.

You do know that an anthro sparrow is medium size, right?

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 10:26 AM
You do know that an anthro sparrow is medium size, right?

Tiny bird moves up to small per savage species.

The Rabbler
2010-10-27, 10:27 AM
Tiny bird moves up to small per savage species.

was this a bag of holding?

gbprime
2010-10-27, 10:33 AM
Heck, we did stuff like this way back in Shadowrun 1st Ed. Street Samurai wears a backpack harness, my shaman shapeshifts (with spell lock) to his totem animal (Raccoon) and hops onboard, our mage turns us both invisible and then waits in the van with the rigger maintaining the spell. Street Sam infiltrates and assaults while invisible, with a shaman on his back to scout astrally, pull the pins on grenades from 40 feet away, and generally use telekinesis to work the environment.

Classic, works in this genre just as well. :smallcool:

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 10:35 AM
was this a bag of holding?

Nope but he fit in the bears light load.

Srsly how could i say no to the idea?

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 10:35 AM
Two words:
Master. Blaster.

'Nuff said.

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 10:50 AM
Two words:
Master. Blaster.

'Nuff said.

I still think Banjo Kazooie trumps it but to each his own

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-27, 11:38 PM
I was mostly thinking of riding on top of one of our fighters (probably the barbarian who is large size), and buffing/healing them without having to move up to them. Our DM already refers to my bard as the Stimpack and our fighters as Marines, but our barbarian get singled out as the Ultralisk.

Fitz10019
2010-10-28, 03:34 AM
Underfoot Combat would suit you well. +4 AC (soft cover)

odder
2010-10-28, 03:50 AM
Underfoot Combat would suit you well. +4 AC (soft cover)

but it requires 10 ranks in tumble and the bard being small size

RelentlessImp
2010-10-28, 03:58 AM
There's a game called Ten-Toes,
It's being played all over town.
The girls with ten toes up,
The boys with ten toes down.

Sorry, I saw the thread title and couldn't resist.