PDA

View Full Version : 3D combat in 4e

Rauthiss
2010-10-27, 01:00 PM
Stuff in 4e flies. My DM and I are both wondering the specifics of the implications of 3d combat. For instance, can a slide power slide enemies straight up into the air? If you all could provide a book to look through, we would greatly appreciate it; we can't find adequate rules in PHB or DMG 1.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-27, 01:49 PM
DMG 1 actually has a section on Aerial Combat (around p.42 IIRC). It has been errata'd (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updatesarchive) since, so be sure to check both.

EDIT: Generally speaking, you can't use powers to move creatures vertically. So no, you don't get to add +xd10 damage to your Push attacks :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2010-10-27, 02:23 PM
DMG 1 actually has a section on Aerial Combat (around p.42 IIRC). It has been errata'd (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updatesarchive) since, so be sure to check both.

EDIT: Generally speaking, you can't use powers to move creatures vertically. So no, you don't get to add +xd10 damage to your Push attacks :smalltongue:

You can, however, push/pull/slide vertically if the target is already in the air.

valadil
2010-10-27, 02:32 PM
Also, if you're interested in mapping 3d areas and don't want to spend a ton of cash, try construx (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4487311081_2100a62952_z.jpg). You can buy them by the pound on eBay.

Urpriest
2010-10-27, 02:43 PM
You have to push/pull/slide to squares in which the target is supported. It's part of the section on forced movement. Teleporting has no such restriction, which was why they had to nerf the Spellstorm Mage's daily that teleports enemies to another square in a close burst 10.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-27, 03:21 PM
You have to push/pull/slide to squares in which the target is supported. It's part of the section on forced movement. Teleporting has no such restriction, which was why they had to nerf the Spellstorm Mage's daily that teleports enemies to another square in a close burst 10.
Except for pushing people off cliffs - you can still do that, but they get a saving throw. Ditto for teleporting people off cliffs.

Jaidu
2010-10-27, 04:06 PM
Also, if you're interested in mapping 3d areas and don't want to spend a ton of cash, try construx (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4487311081_2100a62952_z.jpg). You can buy them by the pound on eBay.

That is very cool. When I get home, I'm checking eBay. Thanks for the tip!

Kurald Galain
2010-10-27, 04:12 PM
can a slide power slide enemies straight up into the air?
Yes, but only if it's a flying creature.

Aron Times
2010-10-27, 05:59 PM
Since nobody has mentioned it yet, any power that causes the target to become prone causes a flying creature to crash. Quite handy to remember when you're fighting dragons that fight from range (blue dragons).

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-27, 08:17 PM

Woah, they still make those?! I used to have them when I was a little kid!

gurban
2010-10-27, 08:32 PM
If a flying creature is knocked prone, I believe it falls its speed, and lands safely if it lands at all IIRC.

As far as flying creatures on the battlemat, I busted out some stackable pint glasses to place the figs on, and the players really like it. However, now I have to hide all the glasses before the session, or they know some flying creatures are gonna show up.

Hal
2010-10-27, 08:49 PM
I would imagine teleport powers could move opponents vertically.

Thajocoth
2010-10-27, 08:54 PM
Since nobody has mentioned it yet, any power that causes the target to become prone causes a flying creature to crash. Quite handy to remember when you're fighting dragons that fight from range (blue dragons).

They fall their fly speed safely. Then they fall the rest of the way and take the relevant damage.

So a creature with Fly 8 who's 12 squares up and knocked prone falls the whole way, but only takes 4 squares (2d10) of fall damage. (12-8 = 4)

A flying creature can be pushed/pulled/slid/teleported vertically. One without a fly speed cannot.

Bursts and blasts are cubes. Burst 1 is a 3x3x3 cube centered on the target square.

Everyone's a cube. Your 15 foot tall Minotaur Eternal Defender exists in a 1x1x1 cube, since he counts as a medium creature.

Blackfang108
2010-10-27, 09:28 PM

Even if the creature has hover?

Jaidu
2010-10-27, 10:49 PM
Even if the creature has hover?

Yes. All the Hover trait means is that a creature with hover does not automatically fall when stunned.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-27, 10:53 PM
Except for pushing people off cliffs - you can still do that, but they get a saving throw. Ditto for teleporting people off cliffs.

Does that include pushing people off the side of a ship into the water? :smallfrown:

Jaidu
2010-10-27, 10:58 PM
A flying creature can be pushed/pulled/slid/teleported vertically. One without a fly speed cannot.

According to the Rules Compendium, while push/pull/slide cannot be vertical on non-flying creatures, teleportation does not specify that it can't, though the creature would get a save if moving it vertically would cause it to fall. It very clearly states that teleportation, even against unwilling creatures, is not forced movement, and it only gives the restriction against vertical movement to forced movement.

This is why the errata to Wormhole Plunge limited the teleportation to once per round. By RAW, since it is a free action, people could teleport a creature 10 feet into the air and make it take falling damage over and over until it died. They limited it to once per round to avoid this.

Thajocoth
2010-10-28, 12:36 AM
Does that include pushing people off the side of a ship into the water? :smallfrown:

Yes. Yes it does.