PDA

View Full Version : How can you make someone look possessed? [3.5]

Scarey Nerd
2010-10-27, 01:26 PM
In the first session of the evil campaign I'm in, my character managed to stop a town turning against us by convincing them that the Paladin and town guards that we attacked were possessed. We now want to go to town on that story and milk it for all it's worth, setting ourselves up as witchhunters, effectively.

Our plan is to say that people we don't like are possessed and then kill them, earning rewards along the way. We have two characters with large bluff checks and a cleric to back up our claims with fake knowledge, but we still need to make it look convincing that people are possessed.

What thoughts have you on this subject, Oh Wise People in the Playground?

For reference, we are 4th level, we have a Changeling Rogue, a Draconic Human Cleric, a Tiefling Wizard, a Human Fighter, an Elf Aristocrat and a Kobold Sorcerer.

WarKitty
2010-10-27, 01:31 PM
How good are you at getting things pinned on them? Can you commit evil acts and make them look like they're done by your targets? Also don't forget using magic like dominate person etc. to make people react to a fake "magic circle against evil" or somesuch.

Also, how many people are there around that might have decent knowledge religion? You can always make up a symptom of possession that one of your casters can induce in people.

Marnath
2010-10-27, 01:32 PM
Tiefling uses illusions to make them appear to froth at the mouth, have glowing eyes, and maybe make it look like they're summoning a demon.

Scarey Nerd
2010-10-27, 01:34 PM
How good are you at getting things pinned on them? Can you commit evil acts and make them look like they're done by your targets? Also don't forget using magic like dominate person etc. to make people react to a fake "magic circle against evil" or somesuch.

Also, how many people are there around that might have decent knowledge religion? You can always make up a symptom of possession that one of your casters can induce in people.

In the next session our plan is to mark the bodies of the "possessed" in such a way as to make them seem strange. My idea is to ask to study the bodies alone, then take the eyes out and cut the optical nerve, then replace them back to front, then get the wizard to cast Arcane Mark on the eyeballs.

This is a heavily religious city, with worshippers of Pelor and Heironeous, but we can most likely get around that as we have an NPC archivist in communication (My backup character coincidentally) who has studied such things for his entire life.

Also, we can most likely pin crimes on people, go into a house and kill a family, leaving the teenage son as the only survivor and probably insane after witnessing our acts.

Malfunctioned
2010-10-27, 01:37 PM
Undetectable Alignment cast on the guards would make it seem as if they have something to hide, especially on the Paladin.

Then the wizard could cast Arcane Mark whilst claiming that anyone possessed by a certain demon would show a single rune upon their forehead.

EDIT: Oooh, didn't realise they were already dead.

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 01:37 PM
Gate in a demon and convince him to possess the people? nothing's as convincing as the real thing!

Also Isanity is a good one along with Dominate Person.
Depending on the feel you need, you could use control emotions to enrage them.

Hell even a simple prestidigitation in the right circumstances could do it. make things they touch dirty or cold or hot or purple or what ever. Mage hand too for little creepy things too.

Scarey Nerd
2010-10-27, 01:39 PM
Gate in a demon and convine him to possess the people? nothing's as convincing as the real thing!

Also Isanity is a good one along with Dominate Person.
Depending on the feel you need, you could use control emotions to enrage them.

Hell even a simple prestidigitation in the right circumstances could do it. make things they touch dirty or cold or hot or purple or what ever. Mage hand too for little creepy things too.

When we first started this, a real Demon had just burst from a meteorite and began to rip people to shreds, so we killed the paladin, guards and our fighter killed the Demon.

Also, just had a thought in regards to Arcane Mark: If we say the Wizard has researched a spell to identify people with "The Taint", and he uses Arcane Mark, it will seem like he has revelaed it, rather than placed it.

Cespenar
2010-10-27, 01:42 PM
Glowing red eyes, for sure.

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-27, 01:45 PM
Also, just had a thought in regards to Arcane Mark: If we say the Wizard has researched a spell to identify people with "The Taint", and he uses Arcane Mark, it will seem like he has revelaed it, rather than placed it.

Watch out for the court magician if you use the arcane marks. A spell craft check by the right person could get you put to death. (and i hope your Dm would go through with that :smallsmile:)

Coidzor
2010-10-27, 01:54 PM
Prestidigitation. Use it to color them and have the colors move around...

Callista
2010-10-27, 01:58 PM
If you're going to do possession via Dominate Person, remember that Protection from Evil does suppress possession, so you'd have to account for that. It's a first-level spell, and if the town has any wizards/clerics, they'll know about it.

Marnath
2010-10-27, 02:05 PM
If you're going to do possession via Dominate Person, remember that Protection from Evil does suppress possession, so you'd have to account for that. It's a first-level spell, and if the town has any wizards/clerics, they'll know about it.

Obviously they should be your first victims. :smallbiggrin:

WarKitty
2010-10-27, 02:13 PM
Obviously they should be your first victims. :smallbiggrin:

That's actually a good idea. Make it seem that the demon is primarily attacking members of the clergy. Attack the people that would be able to attack you first.

Cogidubnus
2010-10-27, 02:16 PM
Just using Confusion could work:

Look at him! He doesn't know where he is! Now he's attacking that poor horse!

Etc.

Coidzor
2010-10-27, 02:20 PM
That's actually a good idea. Make it seem that the demon is primarily attacking members of the clergy. Attack the people that would be able to attack you first.

well, yes, eliminate any potential challenges to your power, eliminate any potential protectors of the people, make them dependent upon your group, and bamph, your own little town to rule/loot/murdermaimkill as you see fit.

Callista
2010-10-27, 03:18 PM
Yeah, but don't be obvious about the murdering. That eventually ends in a town that's nothing but a burned wreck. Whereas, if the town considers you heroes--or, even better, if multiple towns consider you heroes--you'll have a much lower chance of ever being found out. Actually, you might try to find out whether there are any actual evil cults that you can pin things on--maybe start one yourself, in disguise, if there aren't--so you can have a scapegoat even in cases where mob panic and "burn the witch!" won't work.

Scarey Nerd
2010-10-28, 06:16 AM
well, yes, eliminate any potential challenges to your power, eliminate any potential protectors of the people, make them dependent upon your group, and bamph, your own little town to rule/loot/murdermaimkill as you see fit.

A town to rule would be nifty :smallamused: A convenient power base to start establishing an empire from...

Emmerask
2010-10-28, 06:22 AM
Glowing red eyes, for sure.

black :smallwink:

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Demon-Dean-supernatural-792367_624_352.jpg

Darastin
2010-10-28, 06:24 AM
You're still rather low-level, but you should have access to some illusions (like Silent/Minor Image or Disguise Self). Use them to create strange incidents. You don't have to affect your victim directly, but if someone happens to see them sneaking around at night, eyes glowing with unholy fire... that might raise some questions. However, don't simply provide answers like "They're possessed! Burn them at the stake." FUD (Fear, Uncertainity and Doubt) is your friend. Just drop hints like "That sounds strange... are you certain? Last time I saw something like this, the guy turned out to be possessed by a demon." Wait until the rumors spread before you provide further "proof".

Just my two €-cents;
Darastin

Flail_master
2010-10-28, 06:29 AM
black :smallwink:

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Demon-Dean-supernatural-792367_624_352.jpg

Hey im the DM, and yes the Tiefling actually has eyes like that at the moment :smalltongue: namely due to, "i think supernatural is an amazing program and i suggested black eyes as a trait of his heritage" :smallsmile:

also, its funny u made this thread, i just did a post on the "things you let fly" thread about this lol:smalltongue:

Scarey Nerd
2010-10-29, 05:55 AM
You're still rather low-level, but you should have access to some illusions (like Silent/Minor Image or Disguise Self). Use them to create strange incidents. You don't have to affect your victim directly, but if someone happens to see them sneaking around at night, eyes glowing with unholy fire... that might raise some questions. However, don't simply provide answers like "They're possessed! Burn them at the stake." FUD (Fear, Uncertainity and Doubt) is your friend. Just drop hints like "That sounds strange... are you certain? Last time I saw something like this, the guy turned out to be possessed by a demon." Wait until the rumors spread before you provide further "proof".

Just my two €-cents;
Darastin

To my shame I hadn't actually thought of using FUD that much :smalleek: Thank you for reminding me :smalltongue: