PDA

View Full Version : Good Classes for Half-Ogre <3.5>

Tokuhara
2010-10-27, 03:24 PM
My DM told me, "No Bard look-alike" (after he read DMC), so now I jumped on a few websites and came across Half-Ogre (Dragonlance and SS versions). However, I haven't an idea what classes go well with Half-Ogre.

so 2 Questions:

1. Which version of Half-Ogre is better?
2. What builds optimize Half-Ogre's size, strength, ect.

also, DM said campaign starts @ lv3

Keld Denar
2010-10-27, 03:36 PM
2-6 levels of Fighter (for the Dungeoncrasher ACF in Dungeonscape), a level or 2 of Barbarian, and then some kind of full BAB PrC.

Relavant feats would be Power Attack into Improved Bullrush into Knockback (Races of Stone). Take advantage of that large size by punting people about the battlefield at your whim.

BobSutan
2010-10-27, 03:38 PM
so 2 Questions:

1. Which version of Half-Ogre is better?
2. What builds optimize Half-Ogre's size, strength, ect.

Start off as a barbarian then multiclass fighter alt from unearthed arcana. 4 levels of each should suffice for a good while.

Tokuhara
2010-10-27, 03:40 PM
but which version of Half-Ogre?

Plus, when chatting with my DM, he's said that since I am a good player, I can start off at lv1, but have any template. I chose Half-Dragon. Which dragonkind should I be from? He was raised among Orcs

boj0
2010-10-27, 03:42 PM
Half-Sand dragon gives you an untyped (read: unresisted) breath weapon.
These and the desert orcs who raised you are found in Sandstorm (Its-Hot-Outside)

Keld Denar
2010-10-27, 03:42 PM
I'm not familiar with the Dragonlance version. The savage species one was reprinted in Races of the Wild, and nerfed a bit. I think its a +2 LA with a couple of racial HD.

So...if you are a half-dragon half-ogre Fighter 1, you'd be somewhere in the ECL8-9 range by my estimate with only 2-3 HD. Thats....ouch.

Tokuhara
2010-10-27, 03:45 PM
I'm not familiar with the Dragonlance version. The savage species one was reprinted in Races of the Wild, and nerfed a bit. I think its a +2 LA with a couple of racial HD.

So...if you are a half-dragon half-ogre Fighter 1, you'd be somewhere in the ECL8-9 range by my estimate with only 2-3 HD. Thats....ouch.

He's using the 1LA no RHD version from SS. As for Half-Dragon, he's giving me my Half-Ogre pro-bono.

Sand Dragon sounds absolutely evil... Minus what are its resistances/BW?

Ilmryn
2010-10-27, 03:56 PM
With both half dragon and half ogre, your bonus to strength is very high, around +14 if I remember correctly. If you can pull of a high enough Int(and feats), a spiked chain tripper build with large reach...Mwa ha ha ha:smallamused:

Tokuhara
2010-10-27, 04:03 PM
With both half dragon and half ogre, your bonus to strength is very high, around +14 if I remember correctly. If you can pull of a high enough Int(and feats), a spiked chain tripper build with large reach...Mwa ha ha ha:smallamused:

DM already told me no spiked chain trippers allowed...

I actually plan on taking Bloodscarred Fury (?) from Draconomicon, since I'm TECHNICALLY a dragon (DM unwittingly said "YES" to it...)

Plus, I plan on taking up some Aberrant Bloodline feats (Tail, Durable Form, Deepspawn), cuz Tentacles are just creepy on a Sandstone-colored Half-Ogre with Wings and a spinal ridge that goes up to between his brows

Keld Denar
2010-10-27, 05:24 PM
Don't be a tripper, be a knock-backer. Seriously, look into Dungeonscape, take a look at the Dungeon Crasher Fighter sub levels, and then look at Races of Stone for Knockback. Every time you PA someone, you initiate a bull rush that you don't have to follow. How far you fling someone is dependant on the difference between your rolls. If you beat them by 10, you fling them 10' back. If you beat them by 20, you fling them 20' back. With your rediculous strength and size, 15-20' should be pretty normal. If they hit something hard...ouch!

Go with a non-spiked chain reach weapon like a glaive or such. That gives you power (2d8 base dice with a large sized glaive) and reach. Bad guys who try to get close to you with be flung away with a casual backhand swat. It'll be good, you'll like it.

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 06:13 PM
Personally, I'd go for something that really utilizes his decent strength and constitution bonuses, like Warblade. Probably Stone Dragon.

Darrin
2010-10-27, 09:32 PM
No, no, no, no!

Class = Expert, max out Profession: Accountant and Craft: Creative Accounting Loopholes. Take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Abacus. Power Attack is for wussies, you want to really grab 'em by the short'n'curlies, hit 'em with Power Audit. Giants created modern finance, you know... that's why all those idiots with magic beans and beanstalks are always trying to steal from us! You know why ettins have two heads? Double-entry bookkeeping!

(Note: I might actually be joking, but if you slap on the Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xendrik, you get a +4 Int bonus for LA +0.)

(Another Note: Savage Species has the better Half-Ogre by far, but officially this has been updated with the LA +2 Half-Ogre in Races of Destiny. The Dragonlance version is medium-sized with *NO* Powerful Build. Half-Giants in XPH are a better deal.)

CockroachTeaParty
2010-10-28, 12:09 AM
The Savage Species half-ogre though is woefully overpowered for a +1 LA. The Races of Destiny +2 LA nerf is well deserved, as it's a potent melee race.

I'm liking the sound of dungeoncrasher knockback, though... I'll have to give that a try sometime...

Halae
2010-10-28, 12:10 AM
Don't be a tripper, be a knock-backer. Seriously, look into Dungeonscape, take a look at the Dungeon Crasher Fighter sub levels, and then look at Races of Stone for Knockback. Every time you PA someone, you initiate a bull rush that you don't have to follow. How far you fling someone is dependant on the difference between your rolls. If you beat them by 10, you fling them 10' back. If you beat them by 20, you fling them 20' back. With your rediculous strength and size, 15-20' should be pretty normal. If they hit something hard...ouch!

Go with a non-spiked chain reach weapon like a glaive or such. That gives you power (2d8 base dice with a large sized glaive) and reach. Bad guys who try to get close to you with be flung away with a casual backhand swat. It'll be good, you'll like it.

I HAVE to try that out now.
The Savage Species half-ogre though is woefully overpowered for a +1 LA. The Races of Destiny +2 LA nerf is well deserved, as it's a potent melee race.

I'm liking the sound of dungeoncrasher knockback, though... I'll have to give that a try sometime...

Agreed. and yet, the Races of Destiny version is still quite powerful for it's LA. Less so, but still. AND you're immune to things like charm person and hold person

tyckspoon
2010-10-28, 12:32 AM
DM already told me no spiked chain trippers allowed...

I actually plan on taking Bloodscarred Fury (?) from Draconomicon, since I'm TECHNICALLY a dragon (DM unwittingly said "YES" to it...)

Er.. Bloodscaled Fury? One of the dragon prestige classes? :smallconfused: There's much steeper requirements on those than just being of the Dragon type, you know- the significant one on Bloodscaled Fury is BAB +22, which you won't get until several levels into Epic. And it's not an especially impressive class at that point, so hey, why not.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-10-28, 02:11 AM
Wolf-Totem Barbarian 2 gets you Improved Trip without having to take Combat Expertise, so no Intelligence prerequisite. With that you can take Knock-Down from Deities and Demigods, which combined with Knock-Back will waste an opponent's entire round with every attack. They'll be knocked away and knocked prone, so they'll have to spend a move action to get up and another move action to get back to within melee, an entire round wasted because of one hit from your character. I'd recommend the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) variant as well, also in UA, so when you really need to use that rage you'll get an AC bonus instead of a penalty plus an extra attack/round. You can pick up Extra Rage if you want to use that more often.

If you're going to use Fighter, you may as well grab the Zhentarim Soldier (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) substitution levels. That can easily be reflavored as a big-bad-bully with no ties to any specific organization, be sure to get the feat Imperious Command from Drow of the Underdark and don't forget you get a size bonus to Intimidate checks.

Amiel
2010-10-28, 05:22 AM
There's also the Hulking Hurler; which pretty much allows for exponential Str increase.

AustontheGreat1
2010-10-28, 05:37 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but War Hulk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a) is interesting. Though if you want to be good at anything but swinging a stick and throwing rocks it definitely isn't the way to go. It's down at the bottom of the article.

Runestar
2010-10-28, 06:28 AM
I am actually not a fan of warblade for races with LA - you get new maneuvers slower, and str to damage is less potent when you make just 1 attack each round.

Probably fighter, maybe with lvs in barb with extra rage?

Tokuhara
2010-10-28, 05:53 PM
Personally, I'd go for something that really utilizes his decent strength and constitution bonuses, like Warblade. Probably Stone Dragon.

Digging this idea. Yeah, I'm one level behind, but wouldn't Swordsage work out better in this application, since I get a -2 INT & CHA?

and DM revoked the Half-Dragon (so sad...), so as accommodation, he's letting me apply Half-Ogre as a "template" to Half-Orc. And he's said he's using SS, not RotW.

So here's my racials:

+8 Str
-2 Dex
+2 Con
-4 Int
-4 Cha
+4 NA
Large Size
Giant Type (Orc Subtype)

Evil? Maybe. Deadly in melee? Oh Yea

dsmiles
2010-10-28, 05:56 PM
Digging this idea. Yeah, I'm one level behind, but wouldn't Swordsage work out better in this application, since I get a -2 INT & CHA?

and DM revoked the Half-Dragon (so sad...), so as accommodation, he's letting me apply Half-Ogre as a "template" to Half-Orc. And he's said he's using SS, not RotW.

So here's my racials:

+8 Str
-2 Dex
+2 Con
-4 Int
-4 Cha
+4 NA
Large Size
Giant Type (Orc Subtype)

Whatever floats you boat, brother. I just like having LOADS of hit points as a melee character.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-28, 05:58 PM
Barbarian then go Frenzied Berserker.

Tokuhara
2010-10-28, 06:00 PM
Whatever floats you boat, brother. I just like having LOADS of hit points as a melee character.

You make an...Interesting...*Mr. Burns hand thingy* point .

On a personal level, I've been asking my DM a lot of off-the-wall questions, like would a Vampire Spawn eventually become a full-fledged vampire at a certain level, ect. Mostly to see his new limits on creativity...

Tokuhara
2010-10-28, 06:01 PM
Blah Blah Blah Frenzied Berserker.

Banned... DM said its overpowered.

dsmiles
2010-10-28, 06:05 PM
That and the fact that you'll kill your allies when you run out of enemies, IIRC.

Tokuhara
2010-10-28, 06:11 PM
That and the fact that you'll kill your allies when you run out of enemies, IIRC.

that too...

Coidzor
2010-10-28, 06:16 PM
That's what marbles are for.

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 07:55 PM
And lube Grease spells.

tyckspoon
2010-10-28, 11:15 PM

Warblade's class bonuses are nice, but non-essential; you can do without Int. Many of the strikes do not bother with the niceties of offering a saving throw, and the ones that do out of the Warblade schools are often based on the damage you did or on Strength, both of which should be quite high numbers for you. Warblade would work fine.

Amiel
2010-10-29, 12:50 AM

So here's my racials:

+8 Str
-2 Dex
+2 Con
-4 Int
-4 Cha
+4 NA
Large Size
Giant Type (Orc Subtype)

Perhaps have a gander at this build (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873078/Hulking_Hurler_build)?

Endarire
2010-10-29, 01:05 AM
Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood_A_Tale_of_38_Guide_to_the_ 35_Dragoon). It's not a class, but a concept.

Leon
2010-10-29, 02:37 AM
And lube Grease spells.

Just make sure there is no Pervirtuoso in the group...