PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Skillmonkey question

Thurbane
2010-10-27, 04:25 PM
Is there a list anywhere of what classes (base and PrC) that get 8 skill points per level? If not, can we compile one?

Also, AFAIK there is only one class that gets more than a base 8 points/level, and that’s Changeling Rogue substitution levels...

Cheers - T

Thurbane
2010-10-27, 04:26 PM
Base Classes
Rogue
Scout
Elven Ranger substitution levels
Outsider (racial hit dice)

Prestige Classes

Dungeon Delver
Exemplar
Gatecrasher
Nightsong Infiltrator
Shade Hunter
Spymaster
Uncanny Trickster

JaronK
2010-10-27, 04:30 PM
Rogue.
Scout.

Done.

Seriously though, there are also skillmonkeys with fewer skill points. Beguilers and Factotums are both better skillmonkeys than either Rogues or Scouts. Other skillmonkeys include Experts, Artificers, Cloistered Clerics with the Kobold domain, and Ninjas.

JaronK

mikethepoor
2010-10-27, 04:34 PM
If you want skillmonkeys, check out Complete Scoundrel. The only class in that book packing 8+Int mod skill points is the uncanny trickster, but there are plenty with 6+Int mod.

ThunderCat
2010-10-27, 04:52 PM
Dungeon Delver, Exemplar, Nightsong Infiltrator, and Spymaster from Complete Adventurer.

FMArthur
2010-10-27, 04:58 PM
Just went through Complete Warrior for some and came up empty.

Complete Warrior has no classes with more than 4 + Int skills. Even some of the ones I was sure would have 6 had 2. Such a wonderfully written book. :smalleek:

I will edit with more info on other books soon. I'm searching for those with 6 and 8, since most of D&D books seem to hint that 6 + Int skills is the threshold for being a skills-focused class. If I list a book here, I've searched the whole thing:

DMG: Shadowdancer (6)
CW: None!
CSc: Avenging Executioner (6), Cloaked Dancer (6), Combat Trapsmith (6), Fortune's Friend (6), Psibond Agent (6), Uncanny Trickster (8)
CAr: None!
CM: Unseen Seer (6)
CP: None!
CC: Forest Reeve (6), Paragnostic Initiate (6), Shadowspy (6), Squire of Legend (6)
CD: Evangelist (6), Seeker of the Misty Isle (6)
Psychic Rogue (6) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) (I don't know about other web enhancements, though!)

...and that's all I'm doing now. I'm not going to look through every book for you! :smalltongue:
Not much of a contribution if you're only looking for the 8+Int classes, but I have at least eliminated some books for you. I will say that for your list to be as useful as possible for skillmonkeys you might as well include a list of the 6+Int classes which you'll find while searching for the 8s anyway.

Thurbane
2010-10-27, 06:23 PM
Thanks for your help all, but I really am looking for classes with 8(+) skills/level. There are plenty with 6, and I know 6 is enough to be a "skill monkey", but I am looking for something specific here. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Actually, I might just start a 2nd list for 6 skill points/level too. :smallcool:

Kantolin
2010-10-27, 06:59 PM
Gatecrasher in the Manual of the Planes has 8+int, although I'm not sure if that's 3.0 or 3.5.

8+ints are indeed quite rare. There are zillions of 6+int I found while looking through the races of books, but no 8+ints...

Thurbane
2010-10-27, 08:33 PM
Yeah, just realizing how rare 8 skills/level is...

Curmudgeon
2010-10-27, 11:19 PM
Gatecrasher in the Manual of the Planes has 8+int, although I'm not sure if that's 3.0 or 3.5.
That's 3.0. Skills like Pick Pocket (instead of Sleight of Hand), and damage reduction of 5/+1 (instead of DR 5/magic) should tip you off.

Thurbane
2010-10-28, 09:48 PM
OK, another question - which classes get all skills known?

So far I know of:
Factotum (Dng)
Savant (DMC)
Exemplar (CAd)
Ardent Dilettante (PH)

...any others I've missed?

Kylarra
2010-10-28, 10:00 PM
Human Paragon and Expert get 10 cherrypicked skills, if that helps any.

Thurbane
2010-10-28, 10:02 PM
Human Paragon and Expert get 10 cherrypicked skills, if that helps any.
Thanks, that is a relevant point. :smallsmile:

That reminds me...I think there are a few PrCs out there that give you all of your previous class skills as skills (like Survivor), and some that do this plus extras (like Legacy Champion)...

Amiel
2010-10-29, 02:09 AM
From Pathfinder, there's the Pathfinder Chronicler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/pathfinder-chronicler).

Andion Isurand
2010-10-29, 02:17 AM
elven ranger substitution levels offer 8+int skill points

of course if you are using a class that offers Bardic Knowledge, using the Bardic Knack ACF has some really nice results for those who want to be somewhat skillful

Eloel
2010-10-29, 02:21 AM
Some race somewhere had 10+int sub levels for rogues. There's a 90% chance it is Halfling or Tiefling, though crystalkeep should tell you the exacts.

raitalin
2010-10-29, 04:07 AM
Some race somewhere had 10+int sub levels for rogues. There's a 90% chance it is Halfling or Tiefling, though crystalkeep should tell you the exacts.

It's Changeling, from the Races of Eberron book.

Eloel
2010-10-29, 04:11 AM
It's Changeling, from the Races of Eberron book.

Thank you. I knew it was somethingling :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2010-10-31, 02:54 AM
Add to the list Shade Hunter (Champions of Ruin, pages 58-63). This prestige class has awfully steep entry requirements (an alignment, a feat, a language, 44 skill ranks, and two disparate class features :smallannoyed:), but is a way for Rogues to progress into limited spellcasting in exchange for a reduced sneak attack progression.