PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap, Pit trap

Beelzebub1111
2010-10-27, 06:54 PM
Fell down into a 100ft pit into the astral plane, with the paladin player that I hate. all within the first ten minutes of the session. This dungeon is kicking the party's ass.

Marnath
2010-10-27, 06:55 PM
Aaaanndd, you want what from us? I don't see a question here. :smallconfused:

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 07:15 PM
I think he's just ranting.

Traveler
2010-10-27, 07:18 PM
I've sent everything from aberrations to dragons to devils at my group. Number one source of kills, falling to death.
Edit: not that I aim to kill, only maim.

Urpriest
2010-10-27, 07:23 PM
Good thing it's the astral plane, so you won't take damage from that fall. Just find your way to a portal and have a fun planeshopping adventure without the rest of the party. Have the paladin go fight some githyanki.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-10-27, 07:40 PM
have a fun planeshopping adventure

I first read that as "plane shopping" adventure. Get in a bidding war with a demon prince over who gets to buy the 666th layer of the Abyss while the rest of your party dies terribly!

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 07:44 PM
I first read that as "plane shopping" adventure. Get in a bidding war with a demon prince over who gets to buy the 666th layer of the Abyss while the rest of your party dies terribly!

Then put hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk. WIN!

Glimbur
2010-10-27, 07:49 PM
Fell down into a 100ft pit into the astral plane, with the paladin player that I hate. all within the first ten minutes of the session. This dungeon is kicking the party's ass.

This is the perfect opportunity to off the paladin with no witnesses. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 07:50 PM
This is the perfect opportunity to off the paladin with no witnesses. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Come to the dark side, Luke.

Otherworld Odd
2010-10-27, 08:21 PM
Is the dungeon in a certain adventure path? If so, which one? Details!

Wouldn't it be crazy if that was the entire astral plane at the bottom of that pit? >.>
<.<

An entire plane condensed and put into the bottom of a pit. My friend, you may never find your way out of that pit.

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 08:25 PM
Come to the dark side, Luke.

No, really. There will be cookies.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-27, 08:30 PM
No, really. There will be cookies.

Are they macadamia nut? :vaarsuvius:

Lycan 01
2010-10-27, 08:41 PM

Your journey to the dark side will be complete.

Surely that's gotta be worth bonus XP. :smallbiggrin:

Beelzebub1111
2010-10-27, 09:04 PM
Near total party kill. mirrors of life trapping, two wraiths, a black pudding, and a wizard.

The Demons and Devils Book. The Sorcerer's Citadel adventure converted to 2nd edition.

Glimbur
2010-10-27, 10:12 PM
But did you kill the paladin, or kill the paladin and steal his soul for later use?

Beelzebub1111
2010-10-28, 12:50 AM
But did you kill the paladin, or kill the paladin and steal his soul for later use?
Sorry, I'm a neutral good bard. I tried to get my next character to be a specialty priest of Abathor, but My DM didn't like the 7th level ability: Shapechange 3/day for 10 rounds, any monster I've seen.

So now I'm going to be a Dwarven specialty priest of Kord.

grimbold
2010-10-28, 09:53 AM
personally i hate paladins
stab him quick

Callista
2010-10-28, 11:16 AM
Why did you not have a ring of feather fall? You are high level enough to survive a 100-foot pit trap and you don't have Feather Fall... or at the very least the party wizard doesn't have Feather Fall... At this point, your predicament is your own fault!

Have fun getting impromptu morality lessons while you figure out a way to get out!

(Just tie two fifty-foot ropes together. The climb check is a cinch, even for the guy in the tin can.)

Beelzebub1111
2010-10-28, 11:33 AM
Why did you not have a ring of feather fall? You are high level enough to survive a 100-foot pit trap and you don't have Feather Fall... or at the very least the party wizard doesn't have Feather Fall... At this point, your predicament is your own fault!

Have fun getting impromptu morality lessons while you figure out a way to get out!

(Just tie two fifty-foot ropes together. The climb check is a cinch, even for the guy in the tin can.)
There is no wizard, and I failed my climb and jump checks the paladin failed his strength to pull me up.

Callista
2010-10-28, 11:47 AM
I'll give you that one, then...

But you DO have rope, right? And I guess the paladin probably has enough LoH to patch you two up?

Well, I guess now that you know you'll be facing traps, you'll be poking ahead with a ten-foot pole as a matter of routine.

grimbold
2010-10-28, 02:29 PM
prepare for some interesting rping folks.

Beelzebub1111
2010-10-28, 08:10 PM
I'll give you that one, then...

But you DO have rope, right? And I guess the paladin probably has enough LoH to patch you two up?

Well, I guess now that you know you'll be facing traps, you'll be poking ahead with a ten-foot pole as a matter of routine.
It's not a matter of falling damage, it's a matter of the gate to the astral plane at the bottom of the hole, We're out of the game and effectively dead.

Urpriest
2010-10-28, 08:15 PM
It's not a matter of falling damage, it's a matter of the gate to the astral plane at the bottom of the hole, We're out of the game and effectively dead.

Why? There's plenty to do on the astral plane, and you can't starve there.

mobdrazhar
2010-10-28, 08:35 PM

your DM may have a plan for your party being in the Astral Plane and thus the rest of the party may join you there

Beelzebub1111
2010-10-28, 08:49 PM
your DM may have a plan for your party being in the Astral Plane and thus the rest of the party may join you there
I doubt it...We already started making my new character. The title of the room written IN THE MODULE is "Gone Forever"

Callista
2010-10-28, 09:03 PM
OK... so, post your resources. You already said the other guy's playing a paladin; what's your character? You really just need a Plane Shift or some other substitute for such. Got a couple of extradimensional spaces to stick together? How involved are the gods, and how high level, exactly, is that paladin; can he call in a favor? Can anybody summon any creature that has an ability to travel between planes and take messages? Can you get a message to the others somehow? You need a spell that goes between planes, or a creature that can do so and take a message. If you can tell your buddies where you are, or if they can do so (Spellcraft and possibly Knowledge: Planes might tell a character where that portal goes), then they just need to scrape together a Plane Shift, some divination to see where you are, some transportation to get there, and a Plane Shift back home. Might have to pay an NPC for those if nobody can cast them.

Of course, if you want to play another character, that's cool; but there's probably ways out of getting trapped on the Astral Plane, if you really want to stick with this one.

Beelzebub1111
2010-10-28, 09:17 PM
OK... so, post your resources. You already said the other guy's playing a paladin; what's your character? You really just need a Plane Shift or some other substitute for such. Got a couple of extradimensional spaces to stick together? How involved are the gods, and how high level, exactly, is that paladin; can he call in a favor? Can anybody summon any creature that has an ability to travel between planes and take messages? Can you get a message to the others somehow? You need a spell that goes between planes, or a creature that can do so and take a message. If you can tell your buddies where you are, or if they can do so (Spellcraft and possibly Knowledge: Planes might tell a character where that portal goes), then they just need to scrape together a Plane Shift, some divination to see where you are, some transportation to get there, and a Plane Shift back home. Might have to pay an NPC for those if nobody can cast them.

Of course, if you want to play another character, that's cool; but there's probably ways out of getting trapped on the Astral Plane, if you really want to stick with this one.
9th level cavalier paladin of Heronious, Forbidden from using magic items due to previous cowardice in the face of danger.
11th level bard, a dancing sword, a +3 whip
No; No; High level of intervention, but not today (possible from my god Murlynd, but I'm not a priest); No; Other party members would help if the ones that survived the crawl weren't a Unearthed Arcana barbarian (i.e. Terrified of magic) and An Elven Cleric with an embarrassingly low int.

faceroll
2010-10-28, 09:42 PM
Summmoned creatures can't use spells of the [teleportation] or [summoning] or [calling] subschools. I doubt a paladin or bard could use a calling spell.

Callista
2010-10-28, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I'm aware it's an unorthodox strategy. I guess I'd better explain. You'd have to actually summon a creature that could help you after you dismissed it, because right now summoning is the only kind of extraplanar travel you have access to. Presumably they have homes on some other plane; otherwise it'd be "creation", not "summoning"... so you'd have to actually make friends with the creature, since you wouldn't be controlling it. (You could Geas it, I guess.)

Bards can summon stuff but only if you bothered to take the spell or have a scroll or other such item. In your case you'd be pretty limited; either Summon Monster III or IV allows you to summon something intelligent enough to talk, but in either case it won't be very intelligent at all--a lantern archon seems to be the best bet; at INT 6, it might be able to take a message for you; at best, it will talk to whoever its superiors are and get them to zap over to the Prime Material and tell your buddies, "Hey, your lost companions are alive and on the Astral Plane." Summon III lets you summon a small elemental; INT 4 and doesn't have nearly the resources a lantern archon might have on its home plane, so your message is unlikely to get out, and less likely to care about helping you. I kinda doubt demons/devils would be any help at all, so forget those.

gallagher
2010-10-28, 11:02 PM
you are a bard! knowledge religion up a god that would love to take the paladin's life and soul for your successful and healthy and fully stocked return.

worst case scenerio you can always find pazuzu

Callista
2010-10-28, 11:12 PM
you are a bard! knowledge religion up a god that would love to take the paladin's life and soul for your successful and healthy and fully stocked return.

LOL--yes, that's an option! Is your character the kind of character who would try that? More importantly, this is an irresistible PVP attack, so you'll want to discuss it with the pally's player first and check to see whether he's OK with it; if he doesn't want to continue playing the character, it might be cool with him. (And he could, I suppose, always come back later on with a cynical, scarred version of said paladin having come back from some particularly horrible hell.)

Not that this doesn't mean you won't owe an evil deity a favor after this, though. Which is not a very nice thought, but quite an interesting idea, plot-wise.