PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting donations?

Haven
2010-10-27, 07:40 PM
Hey, I have a question. A website much-beloved by the GitP community (http://www.tvtropes.org), with a great deal of userbase overlap, just got its advertising pulled, and could really use donations to stay afloat until the disagreement can be fixed (which will require some really substantial modifications, so it'll be a while). If I post a thread with a link to the site's Paypal donation page, would it be considered spam? If not, would it be alright to make a thread telling people that there are going to be some significant changes to the site on the basis of revenue, without linking the donation button?

I read through the rules and it seems like there's nothing wrong with asking for donations as long as it's not to turn a profit (in this case it's more "so the admins don't have to pay too much from their own pockets"), but I want to be sure first.

benjamin21open
2010-10-27, 08:26 PM
I see what i can do.
But nobody still posts here in your thread.
Nobody believes you i think.

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-27, 08:30 PM
I don't think it's that no one believes Haven, benjamin. The boards can be a tad slow around here sometimes, though.

Roland St. Jude
2010-10-27, 08:56 PM
Sheriff: We'll discuss it, but generally we have viewed pleas for money spam, even when for a good purpose. (Well, not the kind of spam people get banned for, if they are acting in good faith, but more a minor-y spam that results in the thread being locked.)

We just don't want our posters to be subjected to pleas for funds for every good cause that exists (because there are just so many of them!) I'll check past practice and we'll kick it around.

I'd assume no, but we'll be in touch if it's a yes.