PDA

View Full Version : [MoI] Girallon Arms question

PrGo
2010-10-27, 07:52 PM
The Girallon Arms soulmeld, when bound to the Totem chakra gets a +1 enhancement bonus to attacks and damage rolls per essentia invested for the claw attacks.

The question is, will that make the claws count as magical for passing the X/magic damage reduction?

I'm asking this because the Magic Weapon spell gives just the +1 enhancement bonus without saying anything about being able to pierce the /magic damage reductions. I may be wrong on that one, though.

Thanks in advance! :smallbiggrin:

senrath
2010-10-27, 07:55 PM
Edit: I was wrong, ignore this.

Keld Denar
2010-10-27, 07:55 PM
No. Enhancement bonuses are not always magical. The bonus from a Masterwork item is an enhancement bonus and completely non-magical. Thats why you don't get the MW +1 bonus after you make a weapon magical...the magic enhancement bonus supercedes the mundane enhancement bonus because its greater.

Enhancement Bonus
An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks.

If you want to overcome DR magic, you'd need either DR/Magic yourself (bind Astral Vambraces) or have someone cast Greater Magic Fang on each of your claws (or get an Amulet of Natural Attacks or Mighty Blows).

dsmiles
2010-10-27, 07:56 PM
The +1 from magic weapon is assumed to pierce DR x/magic, since it was granted by a spell.

I can't help with the Girallion arms thing, though.

PrGo
2010-10-27, 07:56 PM
No. Enhancement bonuses are not always magical. The bonus from a Masterwork item is an enhancement bonus and completely non-magical.

That's all I needed, thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Glimbur
2010-10-27, 09:02 PM
This is really rude, though, since SR applies against all soulmelds(page 52, third paragraph under Incarnum and Spells). You might be right RAW, but it's pretty silly RAI.

Darrin
2010-10-27, 09:09 PM
This is really rude, though, since SR applies against all soulmelds(page 52, third paragraph under Incarnum and Spells). You might be right RAW, but it's pretty silly RAI.

I concur. Four blue glowing furry claw-tipped arms suddenly sprout out of your body (which can be dispelled and disappear in an AMF), and they're not magical? Hmmmm.