PDA

View Full Version : The Spectromancer and the n00bs

zyborg
2010-10-27, 10:05 PM
Okay, I've came up with some ideas for classes/spells/abilities

While most people can only see the visible spectrum of light between red and violet, the Spectromancer can see beyond that.

Feat: Soundsight - "I can see your sound, man..." When needing to make a Listen Check, you may instead make a Spot check, unless you are attempting to eavesdrop and need to know exactly what the person you are spying on is saying.

Feat: Heatsight - "Guess what? I have Infravis-" *Shot* Not sure about the limits, but... when encountering someone, you may use this to check to see if their body temperature is average, below average, or above average. This can come in handy in a few examples - if body temp of a person is below average, they are likely (un)dead. If no temp at all, most likely an illusion.

Spell: Manasight - "Come on, it is obvious what spell you are going to use." You can see the magical spectrum, showing what type of magic they are going to cast. This grants a bonus to your reflex and will saving throws against magic for as long as Manasight lasts.

Man, some people really SUCK! And some, like the Fools, suck so much that the gods can't help but feel bad for them - or just enjoy watching their failures so much that they won't let them die. This is granted through things that seem like coincidence, but eventually end up too wild to believe.

Fool Requirements:
-Fighter, Bard, Thief classes
- Wisdom bonus of -1 or less

Feat: Rocks Fall - "Take this!" *misses, hits wall, rock falls off wall onto enemy* Having your back up against a wall can be helpful. You know you can't be sneak-attacked, and you can push against it to propel yourself. But if a Fool with the Rocks Fall misses you by a certain amount on the d20 when you are next to higher terrain, it may cause an avalanche. Still working this one out.

Feat: Pratfall - "Owch... didn't know the floor was so slippery" If an enemy is attacking, you may add (3+Fool Level) to your AC for that opponent's turn. However, you are now prone. If there is more than one opponent attacking you, you better choose who to use this against, using it against a weakling leaves you wide open to be attacked by a powerhouse whilst prone.

Feat: Improbable Survival - "Thank goodness that bird flew in front of me before that arrow hit me!: Once per day. If an opponent's attack connects and rolls damage enough to knock the Fool unconscious or kill him, they must reroll their attack roll with a DC of (1+Fool Level) higher in order for it to hit. Otherwise, some random, improbable-but-not-impossible event takes place, shielding the fool.

zyborg
2010-11-03, 08:57 PM
Adding another idea I had for a PrC... The ....Gray Warrior? No name coming to mind....

Requirements:
Alignment - Neutral
Attributes - Combined Total of +6 in Int + Wis modifiers
Abilities - Knowledge: Arcana 5

NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Uninvolved

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Transfer Ally Damage

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Impartial Observer, Protect All

4th|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+4|Transfer Enemy Damage, Greater Transfer Ally Damage, Hands of Darkness and Light

5th|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+5|Gray Burst[/table]

Abilities:

Uninvolved: "This fight has nothing to do with me." At the start of an encounter, your AC is increased by 1+Gray Warrior Level. This effect ends when the encounter is over, or when you take an action to directly help or harm another being.

Transfer Ally Damage: "It looks like you'll help your friend out more than you knew." As a standard action, you may heal an ally next to you for 2d12+(Gray Warrior Levels) hitpoints. However, you must transfer that damage onto another ally. If there is an ally next to you, you may do this as part of the same action. Otherwise, you must make it your next round's main action or suffer the damage yourself.

Impartial Observer: "Hmm... interesting. It seems that we are being set up for - would you be quiet hitting your enemy!? I'm trying to think!" As long as Uninvolved is in effect, your Spot, Listen, and Search checks get a +5 bonus.

Protect All: "I think we'd all agree that pain isn't exactly fun..." Once an encounter, for a main action, you may use the "mystic power of neutrality" to raise all ally and enemy AC by 5. This ends when the encounter ends.

Transfer Enemy Damage: "Looks like you are near death, my 'friend'. I can heal you, but it will cost your ally." As a standard action, you may heal an enemy next to you for 3d12+(Gray Warrior Levels) hitpoints. However, you must transfer that damage onto another enemy. If there is an enemy next to you, you may do this as part of the same action. Otherwise, you must make it your next round's main action or suffer the damage yourself. When damaging an enemy this way, they have to make a DC 20 fortitude saving throw. If successful, they only take half damage.

Greater Transfer Ally Damage: "It is a grave situation. Your friend is dying, yet you are perfectly fine. Perhaps you would like to make a sizable...'donation'..." As a standard action, you may heal an ally next to you for 3d12+(Gray Warrior Levels) hitpoints. However, you must transfer that damage onto another ally. If there is an ally next to you, you may do this as part of the same action. Otherwise, you must make it your next round's main action or suffer the damage yourself.

Hands of Darkness and Light: "I channel the energies of the universe through me. Positive, and negative. Do you think you have a chance?" When successfully attacking bare-handed, with natural weapons, or with small melee weapons without elemental damage, you may add 1d8+2? positive or negative energy damage to its damage, or 1d6 positive and 1d6? negative energy damage to it.

Gray Burst "This... is going to hurt." Channeling the positive and negative energies comes in handy, but in a last ditch effort, 'nothing' (well, a lot of things, actually) beats the power of forcing them together. Slamming your hands together while channeling positive in one hand and negative in the other causes a big explosion causing 2d8 positive energy damage, 2d8 negative damage, and 2d8 force damage to all in a 15 foot radius of you, including allies.

BigDumbWeirdo
2010-11-04, 07:42 AM
I like the two templates in the OP. I could see both being good prestige classes, so long as you add a few more abilities and work them into a progression with some restrictions. For instance, the spectromancer could get extra detection spells, and be limited to characters who can cast arcane spells.
The n00b character seems fun, but I would rename it to "Fool." There are actually a whole host of cliches out there about how a fool can come to no harm. I would limit it to Barbarian, Bard and Rogue classes, too. Fighters and Rangers seem to require a bit too much competence, and adding that as a PrC to magic-wielding classes seems unbalancing. Also, I'd put upper limits on the aspiring character's ability scores, especially wisdom. I think limiting it to characters with a Wis penalty sounds good. You might need to make it a bit more powerful to balance this out, though.

As for the grey warrior, I don't really care for it. It's a very inventive idea, but it doesn't seem like something that would appeal to a lot of players.

Gandariel
2010-11-04, 07:55 AM
Adding another idea I had for a PrC... The ....Gray Warrior? No name coming to mind....

Requirements:
Alignment - Neutral
Attributes - Combined Total of +6 in Int + Wis modifiers
Abilities - Knowledge: Arcana 5

NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Uninvolved

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Transfer Ally Damage

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Impartial Observer, Protect All

4th|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+4|Transfer Enemy Damage, Greater Transfer Ally Damage, Hands of Darkness and Light

5th|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+5|Gray Burst[/table]

Abilities:

Uninvolved: "This fight has nothing to do with me." At the start of an encounter, your AC is increased by 1+Gray Warrior Level. This effect ends when the encounter is over, or when you take an action to directly help or harm another being.

i don't see why ever should you use it... if you're in the party you're supposed to be helping, and not standing there being useless...(at this point, you could just use the Total Defence action and get about the same)

Transfer Ally Damage: "It looks like you'll help your friend out more than you knew." As a standard action, you may heal an ally next to you for 1d10+(Gray Warrior Levels) hitpoints. However, you must transfer that damage onto another ally. If there is an ally next to you, you may do this as part of the same action. Otherwise, you must make it your next round's main action or suffer the damage yourself.
Clerics can heal MUCH more hp than this, and without drawbacks

Impartial Observer: "Hmm... interesting. It seems that we are being set up for - would you be quiet hitting your enemy!? I'm trying to think!" As long as Uninvolved is in effect, your Spot, Listen, and Search checks get a +3 bonus.
Not so useful...
Protect All: "I think we'd all agree that pain isn't exactly fun..." Once an encounter, for a main action, you may raise all ally and enemy AC by 3. This ends when the encounter ends.
you increase also ENEMY's AC?
Oh, and by the way, you should explain how are you supposed to do this..
Transfer Enemy Damage: "Looks like you are near death, my 'friend'. I can heal you, but it will cost your ally." As a standard action, you may heal an enemy next to you for 1d10+(Gray Warrior Levels) hitpoints. However, you must transfer that damage onto another enemy. If there is an enemy next to you, you may do this as part of the same action. Otherwise, you must make it your next round's main action or suffer the damage yourself. When damaging an enemy this way, they have to make a DC 10 saving throw. If successful, they only take half damage.
sorry, but this is completely useless... again a cleric can Inflict more wounds (without having to heal other enemies), or ANYONE can just use a weapon and attack for much more damage than this (plus, a DC 10 saving throw is ridiculously low, and you didn't even specify if it is a Ref, For or Will save)
Greater Transfer Ally Damage: "It is a grave situation. Your friend is dying, yet you are perfectly fine. Perhaps you would like to make a sizable...'donation'..." As a standard action, you may heal an ally next to you for 2d10+(Gray Warrior Levels) hitpoints. However, you must transfer that damage onto another ally. If there is an ally next to you, you may do this as part of the same action. Otherwise, you must make it your next round's main action or suffer the damage yourself.
same thing, healing is incredibly better.
Hands of Darkness and Light: "I channel the energies of the universe through me. Positive, and negative. Do you think you have a chance?" When successfully attacking bare-handed, with natural weapons, or with small melee weapons without elemental damage, you may use a move action to add 1d6+2? positive or negative energy damage to its damage, or 1d4 positive and 1d4? negative energy damage to it.
you should take out the "use a move action" thing, and just make it inflict that more damage.. not fantastic, but ok
Gray Burst "This... is going to hurt." Channeling the positive and negative energies comes in handy, but in a last ditch effort, 'nothing' (well, a lot of things, actually) beats the power of forcing them together. Slamming your hands together while channeling positive in one hand and negative in the other causes a big explosion causing 2d8 positive energy damage, 2d8 negative damage, and 2d8 force damage to all in a 15 foot radius of you, including allies. You also take this damage, but as you are the one preparing it and prepared for it, the blast cannot take your hitpoints to below 0.
just say you don't take damage at all..

commented in your post in bold

zyborg
2010-11-04, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the comments. I can edit Hands of Darkness and Light, Gray Burst, and probably change the healing and damage for the Transfer Damage techs. Also, there are benefits to using Uninvolved, such as preparing yourself for battle, using buffs and stuff on yourself. Basically, I wanted to make a Neutral class, but it seems I didn't do so well. Also, Weirdo, thanks for the Spectromancer and Fool suggestions.

zyborg
2010-11-12, 02:16 PM
Just to let everyone know, I'm still working on the Fool with a bunch of people in the Homebrew Yourself RP here. So I'm not going to be able to claim all credit for any further ideas about that class.

zyborg
2010-11-19, 07:34 PM
PrC: Argentumancer - arcane class based on using the power of silver. Tend to be greedy.

Class abilities:

*Shuriken Coin - can use silver coins as throwing weapons. Multiples can be used at a time, damage depends on Argentumancer level.

*Grow Silver - once a day, you may attempt to increase the amount of silver you have. Roll a d% to see by how much, then roll an ability check of some sort. If successful, you increase it by that much. If fail (or should it be fumble), you lose that amount. Roll 20: gain double that percentage.

Silver Transmutation - attempt to turn an opponent's body part into silver. If arm, they gain a penalty to to-hit. If leg, they gain a reflex penalty and movement penalty. Not sure about rest. If weak against silver, they also take damage. When the target of the spell dies, the silver body part crumbles, and most of the silver disappears. However, trace amounts may remain for collection.

Greater Silver Transmutation - same as Flesh To Stone, but with silver. If the target dies while silver, it crumbles, and most of the silver disappears, but a chunk remains, based on the creature's size.