PDA

View Full Version : Silly questioni about NA increases

Sploosh
2010-10-27, 10:25 PM
I have a silly question that I am 99% sure I know the answer of but I figured I'd ask it anyway and someone could point me in the right direction and we all have cake.

So here goes: I know that the increase in natural armor of two different sources from say, a race and a template, do not stack. I'm pretty sure the boost of a size increase doesnt stack with either too. Am I correct?

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-27, 11:53 PM
Size increases normally don't give a bonus to natural armor, just a -1 penalty for being bigger and easier to hit. The natural armor bonuses of larger creatures are just racial bonuses and don't stack with other kinds of natural armor, except for enhancement bonuses such as Barkskin.

Kylarra
2010-10-27, 11:58 PM
Note that some templates say "increase the base creature's natural armor by <blah>" in which case, that would stack with racial natural armor.

Sploosh
2010-10-28, 12:14 AM
The question in answer is to stacking these two templates (and yes, I know they're cheesey, judge me not)

Feral & Half minotaur

Feral and Half mino both increase base creature natural armor, meaning that feral wins with its +6. However, Half mino gives a size increase that also increase natural armor though and I am wondering if that natural armor from going to large stacks with feral.

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-28, 06:33 AM
The question in answer is to stacking these two templates (and yes, I know they're cheesey, judge me not)

Feral & Half minotaur

Feral and Half mino both increase base creature natural armor, meaning that feral wins with its +6. However, Half mino gives a size increase that also increase natural armor though and I am wondering if that natural armor from going to large stacks with feral.

In that case, they should stack, because you don't apply both templates simultaneously. You first apply one (let's say half-minotaur), and then the other (feral). Accordingly, your half-minotaur whatever becomes the base creature when you apply the Feral template. Since they both increase existing natural armor, either way you go you should be fine. There are no bonus types involved, so stacking is not an issue.

Duke of URL
2010-10-28, 06:37 AM
Natural armor bonuses stack, as long as they're from separate sources.

Urpriest
2010-10-28, 10:33 AM
Natural armor bonuses stack, as long as they're from separate sources.

Not quite. Increases to natural armor stack as long as they're from separate sources and bonus types. Natural armor bonuses themselves do not.

It's really just like armor. You can only wear one suit of armor, but you can have as many bonuses to the armor bonus of that armor as you have bonus types to apply to it.

Greenish
2010-10-28, 11:22 AM
In that case, they should stack, because you don't apply both templates simultaneously. You first apply one (let's say half-minotaur), and then the other (feral). Accordingly, your half-minotaur whatever becomes the base creature when you apply the Feral template. Since they both increase existing natural armor, either way you go you should be fine. There are no bonus types involved, so stacking is not an issue.Feral doesn't increase existing NA, it specifically says the creature uses Feral's 6 NA or the original NA if it's higher.

It's Pounce is also different from the standard.

Cataphract
2010-10-30, 08:18 AM
So in that case, what would be the correct answer? :smallconfused:

Quietus
2010-10-30, 08:40 AM
So in that case, what would be the correct answer? :smallconfused:

Depends on what order you applied them. In this case, if you apply Feral first, you get the 6 NA - or your base creatures, whichever is higher. Then you apply Half-Minotaur, and apply the increase.

If you apply Half-Minotaur first, then you get your base creature's natural armor, plus the boost from Half-Minotaur. Then you add Feral, and you either get 6 NA from that, or the base natural armor of the Half-Minotaur.