PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Help (Oh no, not again)

VirOath
2010-10-28, 02:27 AM
My goggle-fu isn't what it used to be, having found little of use(Worse since it vanished from my bookmarks). Yet I know this topic rears it's ugly head once every so often.

I'm making a level 10 Sorc, very strong stats given by the DM. Houserule for creatures with LA and HD being that you only ever pay for the LA, the HD are free. No, I'm not going to abuse that too much, just playing the Cheshire Cat out of the April Fools Web Enhancement "Here" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c). It is ruled that Sorc levels stack with natural Sorc casting.

PrC, spell and feat suggestions? All books allowed, just please give a reference to everything. And if that Sorcerer's Handbook is floating around still, a link would be nice as well.

The_Admiral
2010-10-28, 02:31 AM
Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2180.0) you are

grimbold
2010-10-29, 04:53 AM
for a sorcerer a good prc is FATESPINNER which is found in complete arcane i believe.
It has all sorts of fun abilities even if you don't take it all the way to 5th level.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-10-29, 05:19 AM
Mage of the Arcane Order is worth the bad feats you have to take to get in. Make sure you have at least one spell that covers particular combat options (i.e. Glitterdust for will save and see invis, alter self for personal buff, haste for party buff, web for reflex save, stinking cloud for fort save, Black Tentacles or Solid Fog or Enervation for no save...) Out of combat, just nab one or two common-use spells like Minor Image and Charm Person, and then use the spellpool for the rest.

As a sorcerer, you have access to some nice sorcerer only spells like Wings of Cover and Wings of Flurry. Sans celerity abuse Wings of Cover is a no-brainer (and it gets better if you're some sort of dragonblood), but Wings of Flurry takes a VERY valuable level 4 spell known. And I'm not just talking about the easily abusable spells like Celerity (yay Quick Recovery) and Polymorph (yay Monster Manuals); powerhouses like Enervation, Solid Fog, Black Tentacles, Confusion, Fear, Ruin Delver's Fortune, and Heart of Earth all have priority. Combust isn't that great in comparison, but you'll actually have second level spells known to use on it. Of course, this all goes out the window if you go Rogue1/Sorcerer6/Spellwarp Sniper4 (in one level). Then Wings of Flurry becomes a no-save daze + damage, which is just evil.

Last Laugh
2010-10-29, 07:03 AM
for a sorcerer a good prc is FATESPINNER which is found in complete arcane i believe.
It has all sorts of fun abilities even if you don't take it all the way to 5th level.
don't take it to the 5th level, you lose a caster level. 1-4 are golden tho, few requirement and a few rerolls per day.

Sandshaper (Sandstorm) will be mentioned. requires a touchstone feat from the same book, 2 levels in the prc greatly expands spell list.
Fiend Blooded (HoH) increases spell list by quite a bit.
Spellsword (cwarrior) is a class to dip into, easy reqs, +1 caster level, +1 BA, -10% spell failure.
The fact that RHD are free makes the Abjurant Champion class even more wonderful. (requires BA +5) (complete mage, maybe Carc)
Malconvoker (Csco) lets you summon stuff out the wazoo.

For feats most things that apply to wizards apply to you.
Rapid Metamagic (Cmage) isn't attainable until level 9, reduces all the times to cast metamagic spells. However if you plan to use Arcane Spellsurge (THE reason to be a sorc. and it's in Dragon Magic) don't get it.
Sculpt spell is wonderful (Carcane)
Heighten spell is nice for sorcerers. You can increase the saves of your low level spells instead of using up another spell known with a high level spell.

Edit: Fiend Blooded gives you spells from any spell list. (Enchantment, or necromancy, or fire spells only)
Recaster (RoE) gives changelings spells from any spell list. cool class features too.
Versatile Spellcaster (Source?) lets you trade in 2 lower level spell slots for one higher level spell slot. e.g. 0+0=1, 1+1=2, 2+2=3. lets you apply +1 metamagics 2 full levels early.

Ryuk01
2010-10-29, 07:15 AM
Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2180.0) you are
That's a great handbook. I think I used it when I made my first sorcerer. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2010-10-29, 10:08 AM
Exalted Arcanist is one of my faves; you lose a caster level, but you gain a ton of spells known and the ability to blast without harming your teammates.

Plus, it moves your sorcerer away from the dragon fetish the others have :smallsmile:

Lev
2010-10-29, 10:12 AM
I'm making a level 10 Sorc, very strong stats given by the DM. Houserule for creatures with LA and HD being that you only ever pay for the LA, the HD are free. No, I'm not going to abuse that too much, just playing the Cheshire Cat out of the April Fools Web Enhancement "Here" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c). It is ruled that Sorc levels stack with natural Sorc casting.

PrC, spell and feat suggestions? All books allowed, just please give a reference to everything. And if that Sorcerer's Handbook is floating around still, a link would be nice as well.

AHAHAHAHAHA

Oh god, what a HUGE mistake on your DM's part. GG

One word:

Rakshasa

jiriku
2010-10-29, 10:13 AM
What do you want to do? Sorcerers can do many things, but you have to tailor your spell and feat selection to the thing you want. For example, I could give you a couple of mailman builds that are almost invulnerable to harm while able to deal enormous damage, but that may not be your particular cup of Mad-Hatter's tea.

Diarmuid
2010-10-29, 10:15 AM
AHAHAHAHAHA

Oh god, what a HUGE mistake on your DM's part. GG

One word:

Rakshasa

That was exactly my first thought when I saw the OP.

Keld Denar
2010-10-29, 10:17 AM
What'll be your effective Sorcerer level? I can't get into that link from work, so I dunno if you'll have the full 10 sorcerer levels. If you'd like, I can whip you up a pretty versatile control/buff list with a couple of nukes so that you'll be able to do just about anything.

Greenish
2010-10-29, 10:25 AM
What'll be your effective Sorcerer level?Cheshire Cat has 3 RHD (fey) and +3 LA : And 3 levels of sorcerer casting, I should've mentioned. With the houserule for ignoring the RHD in ECL calculations, it means essentially full casting.

Also, notice that 3.5 Eschew Materials isn't a metamagic feat, which is good news for you since otherwise it would increase the casting time of any spell you applied it to.

Diarmuid
2010-10-29, 10:26 AM
The Rakshasa certainly gets him the 10 Sorc levels as well as crazy stat boosts, 7 RHD (skills and feats), good saves, nat armor, change shape, DR, and SR.

Keld Denar
2010-10-29, 10:39 AM
So, 10th level sorcerer, thats 5 4 3 2 1

1st - 5
Nerveskitter (SpC)
Grease
Ray of Enfeeblement
Mage Armor
Lesser Orb of Acid

2nd - 4
Wings of Cover (RotD)
See Invis
Glitterdust
Web

3rd - 3
Fly
Haste

4th - 2
Evards Black Tentacles
Wings of Flurry (RotD)

5th - 1
Arcane Fusion (CMage)

That should cover you pretty well. Good defenses, good offenses, good control, good buffing. In a couple levels, swap out EBT for Enervation, but other than that, most of those spells have decent staying powah.

Lev
2010-10-29, 11:43 AM
The Rakshasa certainly gets him the 10 Sorc levels as well as crazy stat boosts, 7 RHD (skills and feats), good saves, nat armor, change shape, DR, and SR.
Instead of Sorc 10 you would have:
Sorc 3 / Rakshasa 7

Most of the sorcerer abilities are automatically granted by the Rakshasa as if you were a 7th level sorcerer by just having the race.

This means you would sacrifice 2 attribute points for:
+2 Str
+4 Dex
+6 Con
+2 Int
+2 Wis
+6 Cha
+10 movement speed
Darkvision 60'
+7 Nat AC
+4 bluff/disguise (+10 to disguise in at-will shape change)
7 Good HD to replace your crappy ones, good saves, good BAB for these
ANOTHER +4 to bluff and disguise while reading their mind
3 additional natural weapons
Change Shape (At-Will)
Is an OUTSIDER, great for polymorph and alter self!
DR 15/Good,Piercing
SR 27+1/lvl == 30 (This boils down to foe having a 5% chance of effecting you with a spell, plus an additional 5% per caster level that he is above you.)

Fav Class: Sorcerer

Want an even MORE broken Rakshasa?

Imagine playing this at 6th level:

Naztharune Rakshasa
+4 Str
+10 Dex
+8 Con
+4 Int
+4 Cha
Favored Class: Rogue
Medium Size
• 40’ Movement
• Darkvision 60’
• +5 Natural Armor bonus to AC
• +4 Racial bonus on Bluff & Disguise checks.
• Natural Weapons – two Claws (1d4).
• Damage Reduction 15 / good and piercing
• Spell Resistance 21 + Class levels
• Improved Evasion – On a successful Reflex
save, take no damage, otherwise take ½
damage.
• Hide in Plain Sight – Can make a Hide check
while being observed if there are shadows
within 10’.
• Level Adjustment +5
• 11HD Outsider(native), which grants skill points,
Feats, BAB, & Base Save Bonuses.
• Detect Thoughts, as a Free Action. DC is Charisma based.
• +4 Circumstance bonus on Bluff & Disguise checks if
it is reading its opponent’s mind.
• Uncanny Dodge – Does not loose Dex bonus to AC
when Flat-Footed.
• Improved Uncanny Dodge – Cannot be Flanked
except by a Rogue of at least 15th level.
• Shadow Jump – Dimension Door from one region of
shadow to another. Either one 20’ jump or two 10’
jumps per day.
• Change Shape – Change into any Humanoid as a
Standard Action.
• +10 bonus to Disguise checks if using its change self
ability.

Diarmuid
2010-10-29, 01:29 PM
Thought it was clear from stating he would have 7 racial levels that I was proposing Rakshasa/Sorc 3, guess not. I did go on to list most of the abilities, just not the numbers associated with them.

As for the other one, it piles on more HD but loses all of the sorc casting. I'm guessing the normal Rakshasa is probably already in the "dont abuse dropping RHD" and that one probably goes even deeper.