PDA

View Full Version : Holy....

Kjata
2010-10-28, 06:42 AM
I was just sitting here on my laptop, when all of a sudden I heard voices. I thought they were coming from upstairs, then I turned up the sound on my laptop. It was coming from my computer. I had no pages open except this and warseer. It really freaked me the hell out.

Anybody have any idea what might have happened?

Blayze
2010-10-28, 06:45 AM
Recently, I've been plagued by internet Calgon adverts about limescale buildup on washing machines and kettles. It's annoying, as the adverts start automatically and don't--at the very least--start muted.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-10-28, 07:00 AM
Sometimes I pick up Radio through my speakers (they're powered electrically so the wire picks up the frequency and the speakers amplify it). It's usually v. faint.

That's a possibility.

Ichneumon
2010-10-28, 07:01 AM
Sometimes I pick up Radio through my speakers (they're powered electrically so the wire picks up the frequency and the speakers amplify it). It's usually v. faint.

That's a possibility.

My television used to do that when it was on stand by. Really weird.

ForzaFiori
2010-10-28, 07:05 AM
your laptop probably has blue-tooth capabilities. It could be picking up someone else's phone signal if they're using it. I know that in my school, if you texted while the smart boards (which used blue-tooth) were on, there was a chance it would pop up on the screen.

Lioness
2010-10-28, 07:06 AM
your laptop probably has blue-tooth capabilities. It could be picking up someone else's phone signal if they're using it. I know that in my school, if you texted while the smart boards (which used blue-tooth) were on, there was a chance it would pop up on the screen.

Potential source of awkwardness right there...

Eldan
2010-10-28, 07:08 AM

That sounds like it has a lot of potential for hilarity and embarassment.

What sometimes happens to me is that somewhere on the page there's an ad running in an area that is not visible right away. Could be that.

thubby
2010-10-28, 08:47 AM
sometimes a computer will remove the graphic of a program but it will still be running (still in processes in CAD)
i know that's caused stuff like that.

Lolzords
2010-10-28, 08:54 AM
Recently, I've been plagued by internet Calgon adverts about limescale buildup on washing machines and kettles. It's annoying, as the adverts start automatically and don't--at the very least--start muted.

Urgh, I absolutely hate those adverts, especially when you've got loads of tabs open and you can't figure out which one is making the racket. :smallmad:

Gullara
2010-10-28, 09:48 AM

That would be awesome. It would be fun to know about it before anybody else:smallamused:

Telonius
2010-10-28, 09:56 AM
Bah, never mind those technical explanations. You computer has clearly achieved self-awareness. Reformat your hard drive immediately, or accept your status as the one who made the machine revolt possible.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-28, 10:02 AM

Those oughta be banned. Seriously.

You know, my grandma's TV used to do this. When on Standby, you could hear voices from it, as if it were on. I didn't know what caused it. Thanks!

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-28, 10:08 AM

So that's what my teachers mean when they say they will know if we text in class...

KenderWizard
2010-10-28, 10:12 AM
Out of curiosity, what did the voices in the computer say?

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 10:16 AM
Kill all humans! Kill all humans!!!!

Dr.Epic
2010-10-28, 11:02 AM
I was just sitting here on my laptop, when all of a sudden I heard voices. I thought they were coming from upstairs, then I turned up the sound on my laptop. It was coming from my computer. I had no pages open except this and warseer. It really freaked me the hell out.

Anybody have any idea what might have happened?

What was the voice?

Gullara
2010-10-28, 11:32 AM
Kill all humans! Kill all humans!!!!

Oh that? That was just me I'm trying out subliminal messaging.

Did it work? :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-10-28, 11:59 AM
My computer used to spontaneously turn on, vibrate, moan, and glow green. I know the color was from some fluorescent lights I had, but...they weren't plugged in. >.>

Electronics are evil. D=

Snares
2010-10-28, 12:04 PM
That's happened to me before, my speakers started speaking French at me.

Just wait until you hear a freaking HEARTBEAT coming out of your speakers. That happened to me once. :smalleek: Freeeaaaaky. I turned the volume right down and it carried on. I had to unplug the things to make it stop.

Irbis
2010-10-28, 12:40 PM
Those oughta be banned. Seriously.

Uh, Adblock? :smallconfused:

Maxios
2010-10-28, 12:52 PM
I once heard this voice from the computer, no games or sites open.
It sounded like people talking about UFOs, and lunch. True Story.

Pinnacle
2010-10-28, 12:53 PM
I always keep my laptop muted unless I need the sound, so that noise-making websites and programs don't bother other people. Sometimes it takes me a while to realize that I'm looking at something that's supposed to be making sound.

I know that in my school, if you texted while the smart boards (which used blue-tooth) were on, there was a chance it would pop up on the screen.

An excellent method of preventing texting in class. I wonder if that's a bug or an intentional feature. :smalltongue:

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-28, 01:43 PM
I once heard this voice from the computer, no games or sites open.
It sounded like people talking about UFOs, and lunch. True Story.

You're picking up the alien's signals. Run before they discover you. Run for your life.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-28, 01:47 PM
Uh, Adblock? :smallconfused:

I don't like AdBlock, because it blocks other, regular ads.

Moot, the owner of 4chan, asks users not to use it because most (if not all) of the site's revenue comes from ads. When people block ads, the ads are worth less.

At least that's what I'm told.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-28, 02:49 PM

Moot, the owner of 4chan, asks users not to use it because most (if not all) of the site's revenue comes from ads. When people block ads, the ads are worth less.

You could do what I do and turn it off for the sites you trust and/or actually want to support.

At least, if you've got one worth anything :smalltongue:

thubby
2010-10-28, 03:30 PM

this is somewhat true. if a site has lots of traffic, advertisers will want to put ads there. if those ads don't get a enough clicks, they stop putting them up.

somewhat ironically, it's a big problem for sites targeting the techno-savvy, because they all use ad-blockers. whereas things like youtube really don't have to care because they are a mainstream site.

Kjata
2010-10-28, 11:08 PM
I don't remember what the voices said. It was really quiet and I was kinda drunk.

Wow... Uh, that had the potential to get me in a lot of trouble. Haha.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-28, 11:17 PM
The drunk part might explain that, yeah.
Or you could just be going insane. Keep a journal of what you hear. I wanna read it when you snap. ^^

Funnily enough, my circle of friends in high school was started by an event like that...
A rather NSFW moment, at that.

Moff Chumley
2010-10-28, 11:18 PM
Could be the shadow people coming for you, of course.

Innis Cabal
2010-10-28, 11:19 PM
Auditory hallucinations are not a symptom of inebriation.

Mando Knight
2010-10-28, 11:24 PM
this is somewhat true. if a site has lots of traffic, advertisers will want to put ads there. if those ads don't get a enough clicks, they stop putting them up.

On the other hand, if this is the primary method through which ad servers measure the "worth" of a site, then it won't matter to them if I use AdBlock or not, since I don't click ads. AdBlock just makes it easier to ignore them.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-28, 11:44 PM
Auditory hallucinations are not a symptom of inebriation.

Ah. Well, in my defence, I wouldn't know. I've never been drunk.

Kjata
2010-10-29, 12:08 AM
Keep it that way. I'm struggling with it again after several sober months.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-29, 12:09 AM
I plan to. My best friend is in the same situation, I know how hard it is. =/