PDA

View Full Version : RHOD Character advice

herrhauptmann
2010-10-28, 09:47 AM
I'm joining a RHoD pbp game which is in need of another arcanist or two. So the character I put together was supposed to be just my charger abjurant champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169009) that I was working on for another game. But while writing up the sheet itself, I decided to reduce my amount of charging, and swap out some fighter levels and feats.
Character is currently a Ftr 4, wiz 1, Swordsage 1. Level 7 will be another level of swordsage, then I go Abj Champ
Feats:
1)Power Attack, Cleave, Imp Bullrush
2)Imp Initiative
3)Combat Casting (level 3 was wizard)
4)Leap attack
6)Item Familiar
Bonus feats: Scribe scroll, and discipline focus (stone dragon)
Later feat: Shocktrooper
IL-3. maneuvers/stance: Saph Nightmare blade, burning blade, flashing sun, emerald razor, cloak of deception, shadow jaunt, island of blades.
My main question, have I messed up by taking swordsage? Would this be a rare case where fighter would have been better, or just warblade?
Is my maneuver selection rather poor? Considering I have discipline focus:stone dragon? (I also haven't played ToB classes before, so I'm anxious about that too)

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 10:10 AM
Discipline Focus at 1st level isn't important. Its just Weapon Focus, except it applies to like, 5-6 weapons instead of just 1. The only difference it makes is in which weapon you'll be using. Only a handful of things in ToB require you to use a certain weapon, and they are mostly a couple feats (like Shadow Blade) or class abilities (like Bloodclaw Master). Higher level Discipline Focii can be taken for different disciplines, so you could for instance, have Stone Dragon at 1st and get +1 to hit with all Stone Dragon weapons, and then take Diamond Mind as your 4th level one and get +wis to damage when you use Saphire Nightmare or Emerald Razor.

As for the rest, why are you losing so many CLs? That seems a little...wasteful. Since casting seems more of an afterthought, have you considered Suel Arcanamach? It progresses casting a bit faster than standard, but only up to 5th level spells and only from Transmutation, Illusion, Abjuration, and Divination. Requires +6 BAB to get into, so you could, with some shananigans to get the skills, get in as something like a Fighter4/Warblade2 (instead of Swordsage), then progress to Suel1/AbjurantChampion5/Suel+3/Spellsword1 or something. Suel Arcanamach and Abjurant Champion go extremely well together, and Warblade's recovery mechanic is much better than Swordsage's.

Just a couple thoughts.

Coidzor
2010-10-28, 10:18 AM
Pretty light on the arcanist if you only have 1 level and can only take about three, maybe four, more before the end of the adventure. Especially since you just said they had need of another arcanist...:smallconfused: