PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Psicrystal Personality

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 12:27 PM
So, I'm playing an Ardent/Warblade/EphemeralBlade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5883542), and I was thinking of getting a pet rock Psicrystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm). Looking over the personalities, I'm a bit conflicted. Being Diamond Mind focused, the Single Minded personality looks decent for a +3 untyped bonus to Concentration (yummy with [Gem] Nightmare Blade and Insightful Strike), but my initiative is only +1 (-1 dex, +2 time mantle) so Nimble (+2 Init) would also be helpful.

Psicrystal is primarily there to share Vigor with, give me an extra spot check, and maintain an extra focus (when I take Psicrystal Containment at level 6). I will NOT be Metamorphing it into anything...

What do people think? +2 Init? +3 Concentration? Something else?

Kylarra
2010-10-28, 12:33 PM
I almost always go for the init personally, unless I need the skill bonus to reach a certain point for a certain reason.

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 12:44 PM
Well, the Nightmare Blade manevuers require you to make a concentration check with a DC = the AC of the foe you are trying to hit. So...+3 Conc is +3 to hit. Insightful Strike does damage = Conc check. So, +3 Conc is +3 damage.

I plan on having Ruby/Diamond Nightmare Blade and Greater Insightful Strike at some point in the not so distant future...

claypigeons
2010-10-28, 12:52 PM
Concentration would work best for you. Going first likely won't happen with a +3 to init (depending on how you roll, and what bonuses your table mates have). So getting the most of our you turn when it does come around is a better option.

One question: Why did you choose ardent rather than psion, considering there would be some int synergy with warblade?

Blackfang108
2010-10-28, 12:53 PM
Concentration would work best for you. Going first likely won't happen with a +3 to init (depending on how you roll, and what bonuses your table mates have). So getting the most of our you turn when it does come around is a better option.

One question: Why did you choose ardent rather than psion, considering there would be some int synergy with warblade?

Probably because Ardents are Awesome! Or he wanted powers that were non-psion.

Kylarra
2010-10-28, 12:54 PM
Well I'd probably go with concentration then.

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 12:59 PM
Couple things, actually. With only 2 levels of Warblade, I miss out on the really good stuff. +int to ref saves is decent, but not anything amazing to write home about. Ardent is VERY forgiving with multiclassing. Since the powers you can learn are based on your MANIFESTER level, rather than your effective ardent level, you can nab Practiced Manifester and patch over up to 4 lost levels. That means the only things you lose for those lost levels are potential Powers Known. Since my Ardent has a very small list of Powers Known (because I only have 3 mantles), losing a couple isn't big, since I got all the good ones I want. Ephemeral Blade has 2 lost MLs, and 2 levels of Warblade means 2 lost MLs, totaling 4 lost MLs, which Practiced Manifester quaintly patches over meaning that I'll still get 8th level powers at level 15, and 9th level powers at 17 (assuming I take 2 more Ardent levels after finishing EB).

Also, Dimension Hop is a power that most of the build is built around, and only appears on the Freedom mantle list. I could get it with EK or Hidden Talent, but Ardent already gives me sooooooo much.

I went with Warblade over Swordsage because EB has stunted Maneuvers Readied progression compared to straight Swordsage. That pretty much negates Swordsage's biggest advantage. Therefore, I'd rather have the more advantageous Warblade recovery mechanic so I can reuse manevuers 2-3 times per fight.

And yea, I think I'll go with Single Minded. I was leaning that way anyway, just curious for a bit o' feedback. Anyone else with questions or opinions can still comment though!

tyckspoon
2010-10-28, 01:00 PM

Likely because Ardent multiclasses better, and Warblade's Int bonuses are relatively trivial anyway. Ardent's power selection is based on Manifester Level, not Ardent class level, which means he can multiclass into Warblade and drop another level on Ephemeral Blade and still have the ML and power choice of a full Ardent by taking Practiced Manifester to cover the difference.

Edit: Bah, Synchronicity'd in detail.

Coidzor
2010-10-28, 01:08 PM
I vote for initimative myself.

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 01:09 PM
Edit: Bah, Synchronicity'd in detail.

I believe the power you were looking for there was Anticipatory Strike'd (which consequently appears on the Time mantle! Squeee!!!!!!)

tyckspoon
2010-10-28, 01:11 PM
I believe the power you were looking for there was Anticipatory Strike'd (which consequently appears on the Time mantle! Squeee!!!!!!)

Yeah, you're right. That's more appropriate than Synchronicity's Readied Actions.

Psyren
2010-10-28, 03:23 PM
If you have a spare feat, you can get both with Improved Psicrystal. Furthermore, it will add 1 to your ML when determining your psicrystal's abilities. This gives it certain benefits (e.g. flight, deliver touch powers, telepathy) a level early.

Darrin
2010-10-28, 03:29 PM
What do people think? +2 Init? +3 Concentration? Something else?

Go with the untyped bonus to Concentration. It's a lot easier to get +2 to your Init from an item than it is to get untyped Concentration bonuses.

Otherworld Odd
2010-10-28, 03:29 PM
I'd go with concentration. If you have a spare feat, you could just pick up improved initiative, or buy some dex boosting items later on in the game (Which would help with ac as well.)

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 04:54 PM
So...I heard some where that my pet rock gets actual HD or something, along with feats and skills? I was reading it over and I can't figure it out. Anyone know where it states that?

Kylarra
2010-10-28, 05:22 PM
It's this part
A psicrystal’s characteristics depend on its master. Its Hit Dice are equal to its master’s Hit Dice (counting only levels in psion or wilder), its hit points are equal to half its master’s, and its saving throw bonuses are the same as its master’s.
Since it has actual hit dice, the extrapolation is that it gets feats as well.

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 05:25 PM
Oh, I totally must have glossed over that part.

So, what are some good feats for my pet rock to have? It qualifies for Mindsight, out to a range of 1 mile due to its ability to telepathically communicate with its master (me), right?

Psyren
2010-10-28, 05:26 PM
Oh, I totally must have glossed over that part.

So, what are some good feats for my pet rock to have? It qualifies for Mindsight, out to a range of 1 mile due to its ability to telepathically communicate with its master (me), right?

Pick things you'd want. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/featLeech.htm)

Keld Denar
2010-10-28, 05:30 PM
I'm an Ardent. I don't have access to that power. Maybe if I had taken the Consumption mantle, but I have Time, Freedom, and Magic, and no ability to get any more.

Psyren
2010-10-28, 05:31 PM
I'm an Ardent. I don't have access to that power.

Yes you do. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#expandedKnowledge)

You're essentially trading one feat for 5.

Trouvere
2010-10-28, 05:33 PM
The bit I somehow overlooked is:
A psicrystal can speak one language of its owner’s choice (so long as it is a language the owner knows). A psicrystal can understand all other languages known by its owner, but cannot speak them.What? They can speak? I think perhaps I was always misled by the 'telepathic link' and 'telepathic speech' entries in their advancement table.

Blackfang108
2010-10-28, 05:38 PM
The bit I somehow overlooked is:What? They can speak? I think perhaps I was always misled by the 'telepathic link' and 'telepathic speech' entries in their advancement table.

I always forget about that as well.

At least, I did, until one of my friends played a high level psion who metamorphsed his psi-crystal into him and himself into the psicrystal. none of us knew this until about a month later, in game.

Psyren
2010-10-28, 10:05 PM
I always forget about that as well.

At least, I did, until one of my friends played a high level psion who metamorphsed his psi-crystal into him and himself into the psicrystal. none of us knew this until about a month later, in game.

Was he a Warforged? He can't turn into a construct otherwise, unless he was using Greater Metamorphosis.

Blackfang108
2010-10-29, 02:40 PM
Was he a Warforged? He can't turn into a construct otherwise, unless he was using Greater Metamorphosis.

It was Greater. this was an Epic level campaign.

Endarire
2010-10-29, 07:27 PM
Initiative. You need it.

Blackfang108
2010-10-29, 09:08 PM
Initiative. You need it.

But there are better ways to get more initiative, and Concentration is a VERY difficult skill to pump.

Ramza00
2010-10-29, 11:08 PM
What level do you play? While I ain't saying don't get initiative, initiative is easy to pump after about level 8 or so (if you have the right books).

Keld Denar
2010-10-29, 11:15 PM
We are about 5.5 atm. I'll get a feat next level, but I plan on using it for Psicrystal Containment so it can hold an extra focus for me since I'll be burning my focus a lot with various Ephemeral Blade abilities.

Ramza00
2010-10-29, 11:59 PM
Look here on how to pimp initiative

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113349

Keld Denar
2010-10-30, 12:24 AM
I know how to pimp init, although I have Uncanny Dodge (never flat footed) and I'll eventually have Anticipatory Strike, AKA Psionic Greater Celerity, which means that going first won't be THAT much of an issue.

So yea, I think I'm gonna stick with Concentration, simply because other than a +competance item and a couple of REALLY crappy feats, getting some free +Con here will be a boost.

Koury
2010-10-30, 12:43 AM
although I have Uncanny Dodge (never flat footed)

Uncanny Dodge does not work that way!

Never losing Dex to AC is very different from never being flatfooted. You can't, for instance, use immediate actions in a surprise round (assuming you are the ones surprised).

Psyren
2010-10-30, 01:05 AM
Uncanny Dodge does not work that way!

Never losing Dex to AC is very different from never being flatfooted. You can't, for instance, use immediate actions in a surprise round (assuming you are the ones surprised).

This is correct; to never be flat-footed, you need very specific abilities like the Divine Oracle capstone.